Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acnehater

Blemish Extractors

I have been using a blemish extractor on my blackheads and whiteheads for quite some time. While it does get rid of the blemish, I am curious if I am somehow making my face worse in the longrun? My asthetician uses one on me when I get my facials so I started doing it on my own to get me by between appointments. Does anyone else use one of these? If so, what have your results been?

I have been using a blemish extractor on my blackheads and whiteheads for quite some time. While it does get rid of the blemish, I am curious if I am somehow making my face worse in the longrun? My astethician uses one on me when I get my facials so I started doing it on my own to get me by between appointments. Does anyone else use one of these? If so, what have your results been?

hi I am an esthetician. Theres nothing wrong with using one at home as long as youre doing it correctly. Otherwise you can bruse your tissues and even cause scarring.

Thanks very much for the reply. I haven't had any problems as of yet, but with all of the "horror stories" I've heard about picking vs. not picking whiteheads, I was just curious how extractors fit into this controversy.

i use a blemish extractor on my blackheads and whiteheads. usually i sterilize it with isopropyl alcohol before and after using it, and I use cotton swabs to dab the plug or pus off of my face, then swipe the area with hydrogen peroxide to try and keep things from getting infected again. sometimes i do get too carried away and try to force one out before its ready, though, and those can cause scarring. so if it hurts, don't do it. only if it looks like its begging to be extracted (ie big big blackhead, or a pustule that has come to a head). but many of these that i extract end up coming back, so i don't know if i'm doing it incorrectly. for now i've decided to stop using it to give my face a rest.

Hi,

I'm interested in buying an extractor, probably the one from Tweezerman. Could i get some tips on how to use this thing without killing my skin? I want it mostly for blackheads.

Thanks

Rae

Hi RaeRae,

Here's how I use mine (prettybow, correct me if I am wrong):

1) Wash your face with a mild cleanser (I use Cetaphil or Oil of Olay).

2) Steam your face for about a solid 10-15 minutes. A hot shower will do the trick. This will open your pores and loosen the blemish so it will pop out easier.

3) Pat your face dry (do not apply anything to your face).

4) If your extractor is not already sterile, make sure you clean it well (I do this with alcohol and a cotton ball.)

5) Hold the extractor over the blemish (well formed whiteheads or blackheads ONLY!) with the center of the blemish showing right in the middle of the hole of the "loop" of the extractor.

6) GENTLY, gently, gently, push down on the extractor until the little sucker pops right out of your skin. You may need to do a slight downward motion after you apply the pressure to get the blemish to slide out. If it hurts or breaks the skin around the blemish, you are applying too much pressure and could damage your skin and/or cause an infection.

7) After each blemish, make sure you clean your extractor with the cotton and alcohol to avoid spreading the bacteria to the different spots on your face.

8) Use a mild antibiotic on the affected areas to ensure that the spots will heal well and that there is no residual bacteria. I use my Duac for this purpose (prescription antibiotic/BP gel combined.) If you don't have a prescription, you could probably use neosporin or something similar.

9) Don't pick or touch the spots! Let them heal...

Again everyone, I am no expert so feel free to chime in with comments/suggestions to what I have recommended. This is just what has worked for me. I've been using one for over a year with no issues.

Acne hater,

Thanks for the information. I have one of those facial steamer things and tons of facial prescriptions including Benzaclin so now all i need is the extractor haha...Just wanted some advice from an extracting veteran so I don't marr my skin.

Thanks,

Rae