Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Guest Timehealsall

i think its okay to pick at flakes and bite your lips.

I have pretty bad dermatitis and although i dont "pick" at the flakes/dead skin, i do rub it off.

Just try not to pick at the acne

i think its okay to pick at flakes and bite your lips.

I have pretty bad dermatitis and although i dont "pick" at the flakes/dead skin, i do rub it off.

Just try not to pick at the acne

I don't think it's okay. The flakes are usually just around my nose and then my skin is all raw around it. Therefore not okay to do. As for the biting, you know something's not right when your lips bleed and are two different colors.

"Just try not to pick at the acne." My favorite line from it all. If only it were that easy. You think I try to pick at it?

As for the scarring, I don't know about that. We'll have to see what I'm left with when this acne finally goes away.

Trust me when I say I can completely understand where you're coming from. I wake up with the mindset that I'm not going to pick, I'm just going to let my acne heal naturally... and then sometime throughout the day I'll look into a bright mirror, or my hand will brush my face and I'll feel the acne... and it feels like nothing in the world can stop me from turning up the lights in my room and picking at everything I can see. Sometimes it seems like if I pick everything off, it will look better, or it will be easier to apply my makeup on it. But I'm so wrong, the spots that I pick always become wet and will not stop pussing, and then I cannot put makeup on them for an entire day. Then come the lovely brown/red scabs, which only makes me want to pick more. UGH......... Why can't it just go away.

Guest Timehealsall

i dont know if i am labeled as a picker.... but i have this habit of rubbing dead skin off of my face ( i have severe seborrheic dermatitis) and it gives me flaky DEAD SKIN. And the worst part... it is on top of my pimples. I stop for like a month, and than when my dead skin gets real bad... i end up rubbing it off.

Ill show you guys a photo of how bad it can get...

http://i54.tinypic.com/jhvqzk.jpg

Edited by Timehealsall

CourtneyAnn - I don't know why it won't go away. I ask myself the same thing every day. :( But I do not that we both can overcome this. It's not going to be easy, but we can do it. I pick much less than I did two months ago. I am seeing improvement with picking less, and the new routine I'm doing. I still have hope. Picking will not make it better, even if we get it in our heads that it will look better. It doesn't and we are causing unnecessary damage to our skin. Keep trying. You can do it. :]

clearforall2010 - I'm trying. That's all I can do.

Timehealsall - I'm not a fan of labels. I'm not the same as ever other "picker". What you consider a pickier is up to you. The name doesn't matter. Call yourself a rubber if you want. haha. The important thing is we both do things that we don't like, and we want to stop.

Guest Timehealsall
CourtneyAnn - I don't know why it won't go away. I ask myself the same thing every day. :( But I do not that we both can overcome this. It's not going to be easy, but we can do it. I pick much less than I did two months ago. I am seeing improvement with picking less, and the new routine I'm doing. I still have hope. Picking will not make it better, even if we get it in our heads that it will look better. It doesn't and we are causing unnecessary damage to our skin. Keep trying. You can do it. :]

clearforall2010 - I'm trying. That's all I can do.

Timehealsall - I'm not a fan of labels. I'm not the same as ever other "picker". What you consider a pickier is up to you. The name doesn't matter. Call yourself a rubber if you want. haha. The important thing is we both do things that we don't like, and we want to stop.

no what i mean is... if you pick at your pimples you can cause them to scar. I am not sure if what i was doing has damaed my skin permanently. I dont rub anymore... but as you saw in the photo... i had severe dead skin on my face

Hey, alisa, I have a picking problem too...my acne isn't bad, but I convince myself that its worse than it is because I look around and see others who have always had perfect skin. Right now I've been clearing up from a recent 5 day picking-series of days, except that yesterday I started digging at a pimple on my cheek, leaving a large scab. This is usually how it goes for me- I do a "binge pick", meaning I go crazy and pick every spot on my face, leave it alone for a week or so (except for scratching at deadskin or small pimples), then when its finally almost perfect I do it again. And its horrible. Every time I do it I take a step back from the mirror and just burst into tears, wishing I could go back in time and redo everything. I want to hide my face from others, and envy everyone who's skin is flawless or even just has mild acne.

I really understand about what you said about how its a slow progress...its not going to change in one night. But one thing I know that helps a lot of people with habits is replacing the old with the new. First, figure out why you pick (its hard, yes)...for me, its because of self-confidence. I WANT clear skin so that I feel pretty and confident, therefore I pick at spots because I have trained myself to think that they will get better that way. I should find another substitute for that problem- for example, I could find confidence through things like my art skills, or guitar playing, or sports. I could keep fit to feel better about myself, and take better care of myself with my diet so that I feel good.

It really is a long process...but finding a habit that could eventually replace your picking habit might really help! You WILL get there:)

When I used to go in the mirror to pick, I would always make myself wait until friday night. That would give me the most time for the scabs to heal, while I am holed up in my house until I have to go back to school on monday. That made it easier for me to stop popping whiteheads and such when I decided not to. Now I scratch at my face while I am on the computer, but I'll try the blotting paper thing. Best of luck to you! (=

Edited by plotmahrevenge

I dont come on this site much anymore but this post really got to me. i have mild acne, but its really strange the kind i get. and lately I have been tanning... yes fake and bake and have had no real breakouts. maybe a pimple here and there but nothing to make a big deal about. but a few days ago i founf a few pumps starting to appear above my lip and i started picking at them like crazy and kept layering various acne creams on them because in my mind it would make them go away that much faster.... boy was i wrong! now im left with a huge red mess on my face with really dry skin in the surrounding areas where i did the damaga and the pimples or bumbps or whatever they are are still there and more inflammed. add on top of that i have angular cheilitis that is red and flaky on one side of my mouth that is making me even more that self concious. i havent left my house in 2 days because of it. rediculous you all might say probably is but this time last week my skin was fine. i just hope my skin repairs itself sooner then later.

I dont come on this site much anymore but this post really got to me. i have mild acne, but its really strange the kind i get. and lately I have been tanning... yes fake and bake and have had no real breakouts. maybe a pimple here and there but nothing to make a big deal about. but a few days ago i founf a few pumps starting to appear above my lip and i started picking at them like crazy and kept layering various acne creams on them because in my mind it would make them go away that much faster.... boy was i wrong! now im left with a huge red mess on my face with really dry skin in the surrounding areas where i did the damaga and the pimples or bumbps or whatever they are are still there and more inflammed. add on top of that i have angular cheilitis that is red and flaky on one side of my mouth that is making me even more that self concious. i havent left my house in 2 days because of it. rediculous you all might say probably is but this time last week my skin was fine. i just hope my skin repairs itself sooner then later.

I could have written word for word everything you just said. My skin- great last week. Got a few pimples-freaked. Stayed home from school/work one day and just layed layer after layer of various prescription & over the counter acne creams on. Now-today, woke up to raw, raw, red skin, horrible dryness, scarring, scabbing. Stayed home today because of it. But made the best of it and didn't put ANY more products on, just zinc, vaseline & neosporin! There is such an improvement already! And I know that I don't have to go "out out" until Sunday night which helps. We can do this! I always remember....WE caused the acne by picking and WE can clear it up by not! It's proven! We know it! We just have to believe it and do someting about it! Different things in our life we try to change, especially since most of us here probably suffer from OCD/BDD/eating disorder/ADD etc. other things like this...so just remember that!

luckily i dont have to go out until thursday which is when i start work again so im hoping the damage will be a whole hell of alot less. its just really depressing to know i do this to myself. like its not even that bad until i pick. then it just looks ugly. i was brave and went out today .. to the doctors and turns out i have a oral infection which is causing the redness and dryness. its a ugly mess... but whatever. im going to have to face the world sooner then later. i also got some zinc cream and now im jsut debating if i should put it on or not. lol . i dont want to make anything worse or clog anymore pores unneccesarily.

Hey, alisa, I have a picking problem too...my acne isn't bad, but I convince myself that its worse than it is because I look around and see others who have always had perfect skin. Right now I've been clearing up from a recent 5 day picking-series of days, except that yesterday I started digging at a pimple on my cheek, leaving a large scab. This is usually how it goes for me- I do a "binge pick", meaning I go crazy and pick every spot on my face, leave it alone for a week or so (except for scratching at deadskin or small pimples), then when its finally almost perfect I do it again. And its horrible. Every time I do it I take a step back from the mirror and just burst into tears, wishing I could go back in time and redo everything. I want to hide my face from others, and envy everyone who's skin is flawless or even just has mild acne.

I really understand about what you said about how its a slow progress...its not going to change in one night. But one thing I know that helps a lot of people with habits is replacing the old with the new. First, figure out why you pick (its hard, yes)...for me, its because of self-confidence. I WANT clear skin so that I feel pretty and confident, therefore I pick at spots because I have trained myself to think that they will get better that way. I should find another substitute for that problem- for example, I could find confidence through things like my art skills, or guitar playing, or sports. I could keep fit to feel better about myself, and take better care of myself with my diet so that I feel good.

It really is a long process...but finding a habit that could eventually replace your picking habit might really help! You WILL get there:)

I think the reason I pick is because it's something I can control. It's the one thing in my life that nobody can do, but me. I also have self confidence issues, but I'm working on it right now. I'm trying to be a better person, and look on the bright side of things.

I'm not really sure what to replace picking with. I've tried the rubber band on the wrist - didn't really work. I've tried clenching my fists instead. Nothing seems to work. :|

My acne is getting better...I think. It's been 5 weeks since I switched my routine. It seems to be working, except for when I pick. There are two spots I can't seem to leave alone right now, one by my mouth and the other by my ear. You can see for yourself in my gallery actually. Feel free to tell me what you think.

Edited by 09alisa

My best friend sent me this today, and told me to read it. I just wanted to share. It was a real wake up call for me. I didn't realize he thought that, and it really upset me. But now I'm glad he showed me. I have to accept myself for who I am, otherwise how is anybody else supposed to.

post-146558-1306178460_thumb.jpg

Edited by 09alisa
Guest Timehealsall
My best friend sent me this today, and told me to read it. I just wanted to share. It was a real wake up call for me. I didn't realize he thought that, and it really upset me. But now I'm glad he showed me. I have to accept myself for who I am, otherwise how is anybody else supposed to.

amazing quote.

I have to wonder though, if you guys pick at your skin, and you notice a scar or a few scars from it, doesn't that make you want to stop picking?

amazing quote.

I have to wonder though, if you guys pick at your skin, and you notice a scar or a few scars from it, doesn't that make you want to stop picking?

Of course I want to stop picking. Many things make me want to stop. It's just not that simple. For me, I don't even realize I'm picking until it's too late.

Today was a good day. I came so close to picking. I don't even have much to pick at anymore, which is good. I think I only have 2 active spots. The rest of my face is healing. My marks just have to go away now. Anyways, I still have blackheads on my nose and I was ready to squeeze some out. I know that nothing good comes from it, because when I do my pores get really big. For some reason I stopped myself. I won for once. :] And let me tell you, it feels good. I was so close and then I put my hands down at the last second. I don't have to pick. My face is getting better, and I'm going to let it. :] I'm in such a good mood, and I feel like I can do this. I am doing this. I doubt anybody even reads this anymore, but I wanted to share my enthusiasm.

Keep on, keepin' on. You can do it. :]

Edited by 09alisa

Here's a picture showing 9 weeks ago and now! I think there is a pretty big difference. :] I also don't pick as much. It's only on occasion now. It also helps that there isn't very much to pick at anymore. Well, I'm feeling pretty good and working towards my goal of clear skin by the end of the summer. Good luck everyone!

post-146558-1307981608_thumb.jpg

Edited by 09alisa
i'm still reading and i think you're so awesome! i knew you'd get better!

Aww, thank you! :] I didn't think anybody still read this, but I felt like posting anyways! You can do it too girl!