Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PaulH85

Discussing the emotional and psychological effects of acne with your doctor

The first time I went to see my doctor about acne, I had this big speech prepared about how acne affects my life, but he took a look at my face, prescribed Lymecycline, and sent me on my way. Five minutes, in and out.

I have an appointment with my doctor on Saturday as I'd like to change my medication. I don't know what to, as I'm not sure what my options would be in terms of what is stronger than Lymecycline, but I know it's not working any more.

Not only are the old cycles of acne breakouts back, it's also having an apparent negative influence on my work and personal life. On a personal level, I met a girl I really like but I can't bring myself to try and do anything about it while my skin is behaving as it is.

Professionally, I hate every minute sat in the office when my skin's a mess, thinking everyone is looking at me. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but it freaks me out. Today, like most days last week, I finished work almost two hours earlier than I aught to because I didn't feel like I could stand any more. No doubt, at some point, my boss is going to catch on.

So now I'm thinking that I should go to my doctor and make my point. I can't help but wonder if it will fall on deaf ears. All the doctors there do seem to have that, "You've only got spots, it's no big deal" approach. In fact, when I tried to book an appointment today, the receptionist didn't want to book it because I'm already taking medication. Pretty much had to justify myself to her, just to see a doctor.

Granted, I want to sort the acne out, but I'd really like some advice on the way I am emotionally and psychologically. For years I've avoided social situations and now I'm so out of my depth with that kind of thing due to lack of experience. I guess I just want to chat with the doctor about it and see if it helps. See if it help me understand and focus on the things I want to fix.

I'm wondering... what are your experiences of discussing these sorts on things with your doctor? Do they listen to you regarding the emotional and psychological effects? Do they take it seriously?

:)

I can't talk to my General Practitioner about anything really because like your doctor, he's so busy - get in, get out - NEXT! He doesn't having a caring personality either.

I could talk to my Dermatologist though. He's just as busy as the GP, but he's got a different attitude, is accustomed to dealing with acne, and is easy to talk to. He still rushes, but won't interrupt me when I talk and responds appropriately (actually listens).

Unfortunately, I think it simply boils down to the doctor's personality and capabilities. Is your doctor a Dermatologist? I'm just curious about that one.

He's a GP. My first port of call I guess, to see what was available to me and how we could treat my acne. I know there are countless people who suffer with it, but my acne's personal to me - as strange as that may sound - so I suppose I hoped that he might try and see how I felt about it and how it affects me.

Never know, he might take me more seriously this time, given that his first option hasn't been a great success, so I'll wait and see what happens before I put the guy down any further. ;)

I just think that GP's seem to be really casual about it all, unless you happen to get lucky and find one who understands. I was hoping I could perhaps connect with this guy in some way and he'd want to see how I progressed. What actually happened was, I was given a three month script for Lymecycline, then had to renew the script each month for three months, at which point I was told the GP would review the medication. This consisted of a phone call from a receptionist who told me the medication would continue, and she hung up. If you phone back, it re-directs to an automated system. The latest script states that I can order twelve more months worth of Lymecycline, meaning they're happy for me to just carry on for a whole year, regardless.

The only thing they didn't do is tell me I'll grow out of it – aged 25 - although I half expected it. :rolleyes:

My only concern is that he'll try and convince me to carry on with the remaining eleven months. I can't give in to that. I know he's a doctor and all, but I know about acne more than he does, surely.

I'll see. If I think about what I want to say, be calm, open and articulate, he's just going to have to let me say my piece and recognise that it takes balls to go and get help. I feel positive about it - despite their approach thus far, and the little amount of time I was given the first time round - because I'm trying to do something to help myself and, in theory, whatever happens could well bring me a step closer to stopping my weekly breakouts and the degree of acne that's bothered me all this time. Fingers crossed. :)

Edited by PaulH85

I'll keep them crossed for you. If he's unwilling to bend on changing his approach medication wise, do you need his referrel in order to see a dermatologist? I see you're in the UK and I'm not sure how that works in your neck of the woods.

Not sure how it works either to be honest, but I could always mention it and see what he suggests.

I guess he would have to refer me if I wanted treatment through the National Health Service. Otherwise, I'd have to pay privately and I can't afford that. There's no reason why he shouldn't though, so I'll see.

You sound like me a few years ago. Doctors see so many patients usually, they don't care. They just want to go about there day, write up a prescription, and move onto the next patient. What you may want to do is seek a therapist. You can talk to them, and they can give you advice etc. Doctors don't give a sh*t for the most part. I've had doctors basically walk out of the room when I wasn't finished talking before.. I love my gp now, and he takes time to listen, but they don't have the time to sit there and listen to you more than 5 minutes. Therapy is the way to do it, and they could work in coordination with your doctor.

Edited by fakename913323

Prepare what you want to say, and if it doesn't work start looking for a new doctor. You're paying him, so he should help you. Otherwise he just isn't doing his job.

And I know it's tough at work -- but I saw your picture, and you look good to me! ;) Chin up, and stand up for yourself.

I'm going to see a derm and am writing down every thing I want to say and ask. Otherwise, I'll be too embarrassed and shy to say it even if they're willing to listen. I would definitely recommend writing stuff down. Also, sometimes churches or certain organizations offer counseling for little or no money. That can be a great option for talking. There's a book I've been reading called Healing Adult Acne by Fried. He talks a lot about the psychological effects and has some info on dealing with the stress and depression caused by acne.

It's hard to find a good doctor. When I was finally ready to do Accutane, I went to 5 (!!!) dermatologists in a matter of weeks until I found one that I liked. I've actually seen 2 doctors at that office now and they were both great. Very sympathetic, very thorough. I haven't opened up much with them, but they're good to me. I've just had it up to my eyeballs with stupid doctors.

I did open up to my most recent esthetician. She kept trying to make me look in the mirror after she did a treatment on me, and I refused. You can't deny you have emotional issues in that situation!! She later kept needling me and needling me about why I wasn't doing a lot of stuff (meaning, social stuff) when I had so much free time on my hands. She finally, herself, asked if it was because of my face. When I admitted that it was, and cried, she said that you don't have to be attractive to DO things. She meant well, she really did, but it hurt like hell.

Sometimes opening up to people is not as helpful as it might seem.

It's always a risk really - opening up to people - in that you don't know how they're going to respond. Even if they mean well, the words might not be ideal and it could still hurt.

This last week, I've been asking people what they see when they look at me. I don't know what's up with me, I've suddenly started being really brave! :lol: Everyone says they notice my hair first, and people have said I'm funny and have a really sarcastic sense of humour. In all cases, I've had to sort of direct them to say something about my skin and every time, they've said something like, "It's no big deal", or, "It doesn't bother me so don't let it bother you", or, "It's way better than it used to be". All good stuff. In fact, the first words my doctor said the other day were, "Your skin's looking much better!"

All just makes me even more sure that I've been holding myself back for so many years.

I discussed this sort of thing with my doctor at the weekend and I guess he just said the things he's said to patients before as it didn't really feel like he was listening to me.

It wasn't until I started talking about lack of confidence and depression that my voice started to shake a bit, and he realised it bothers me. He started to listen properly then.

I'm beginning to think that dealing with my skin might in turn help the other issues such as confidence fall into place. My doctor made it quite clear that he would not refer me to a dermatologist because my skin isn't bad enough. I guess that is something I should be thankful for. That just leaves me to continue with the meds and the topical he gave me, keep up what I do, try and be happy and positive, try not to stress about it, or pick my skin and make it worse. It's never going to perfect so I just have to make it as good as it can be, accept it and be happy.

Personally, the next step is to try and be brave and open with a girl I really like. I need do that soon otherwise she'll think I'm not interested. I went through a bad phase with my skin so I've put off seeing her for a month since our first date. Just hope she wants to see me and that I have the confidence to let her know how I feel. Not forgetting that horrible bit where you wait to see if they feel the same! :confused:

Edited by PaulH85

i hope you are able to discuss this side of things. if you find you cant to a doctor i would also rec to see a therapist. bc acne leaks into so many aspects of life. physical, emotional, social, job, motivation, etc. i myself have thought about seeing someone, i just never have the time=P im so busy usually. i know how you feel about not being able to discuss that emotional side of crap with doctors tho. ugh ..i havent been to a doc about my acne exactly, but i have been about getting birth control (acne related) and things like that and its just so ..eh whatever here u go type thing lol.

but yeah. so have you been able to talk to the girl you like? i know how it is when u feel not confident with acne, but u should totally take the chance.=] cuz its like...if a girl or guy can accept someone for acne, then awesome. if they cant, they arent worth the time haha.

Yeah, we met a couple of months ago and she asked me out. Initially I made an excuse to put the date off for a little while. It wasn't that I didn't want to go, just that I'm not used to being asked out and it took me be surprise. Think I just needed to get my head round it and felt like I needed a bit of time to prepare.

We arranged to go and see a band a few weeks later so that gave me time to prepare myself, but then she asked if we could meet sooner. Occurred to me that I couldn't delay twice so I said yes to meeting up the following weekend. As it happened, my skin looked alright on that day. We met up, had a great night and arranged to see each other again. I had so much fun with her that in the end I forgot about my skin. The main thought about her since then has been that if she could make me feel that way all the time, being with her would be so good! :D

For the three weeks following this, my skin was really broken out, just like it was in my teens when I didn't have a clue how to control it and wasn't taking medication. Instead of battling on through it, I started getting really anxious and paranoid about it. Didn't go out, had to force myself to go to work and kept leaving early.

It just made me realise that whatever issues I have as far as self-esteem and confidence are concerned are mainly triggered by my acne, but they'd still be there, underlying, whatever the condition of my skin, unless I addressed them.

So I came back to these boards after hardly posting since I joined a couple of years back. Got inspired by things I read and started to find a positive approach. Started to realise that a lot of how I feel is in my head and it's not necessarily how people see me.

I was bullied a lot in school because of my acne and I adopted certain approaches towards being around people socially and things. Guess I've never managed to let go of that approach and part of me perhaps behaves as though everyone I meet will act like the bullies did. That's not the case of course, but I think it's almost like an instinctive thing, for protection.

As far as Anna (the girl I met) is concerned, she's picked up on the fact that my confidence has been low recently, based on conversations we've had. I played it down or just avoided her questions about it, and I think she started to wonder if there was something really wrong. Quite rightly, she said she wouldn't want to be in a relationship with someone who wasn't in the right frame of mind to be part of it. She said she'd help me but I don't think she quite understands because I haven't explained what the problem is.

I'm going to give her a call later and see if she wants to go out next week. Just need to show in person that there's nothing really wrong with me and that it's certainly nothing she's done. Need to make sure I haven't put her off me due to me acting weird in recent weeks! :doh: If I end up telling her about my confidence problems and hang-ups, she'll probably laugh at me and tell me I'm worrying about nothing. Hope so anyway.

The main thing with my skin these days is that it annoys me, simply because I feel like it's close to clearing up, but it never quite gets there. Today my skin is red and has scarring as usually, but otherwise I have a few pimples. That's all. That "almost-but-not-quite-there" feeling is frustrating, especially when I make a big deal of it. Like I said, in my head it looks far worse than it actually does, so I really need to work on trying to get rid of this mental image. I'll get there eventually.

I joined a gym this week. Going to see if I can bulk up a bit, be fitter and get more energy. Will see if it helps me be healthier on the inside, if it has a positive affect on what's visible on the outside, and helps me be happier and more confident with my appearance overall.

Edited by PaulH85

well thats awesome that you met a girl u like=D thats cool that she asked u out. u know what u should do?just be honest with her about ur skin=] like abuot how it makes u feel. i didnt for the LONGEST time and just recently told the guy i talk to like ...my biggest insecurity is my skin! and i hate it>< and he like totally accepted it and said he used to suffer from acne bad as a teen so he understands and that he has dated girls with worse acne, it doesnt bother him. haha. and if she really likes u she is totally going to accept u for u=] awesome that ur taking a positive approach!

The first time I went to see my doctor about acne, I had this big speech prepared about how acne affects my life, but he took a look at my face, prescribed Lymecycline, and sent me on my way. Five minutes, in and out.

I have an appointment with my doctor on Saturday as I'd like to change my medication. I don't know what to, as I'm not sure what my options would be in terms of what is stronger than Lymecycline, but I know it's not working any more.

Not only are the old cycles of acne breakouts back, it's also having an apparent negative influence on my work and personal life. On a personal level, I met a girl I really like but I can't bring myself to try and do anything about it while my skin is behaving as it is.

Professionally, I hate every minute sat in the office when my skin's a mess, thinking everyone is looking at me. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but it freaks me out. Today, like most days last week, I finished work almost two hours earlier than I aught to because I didn't feel like I could stand any more. No doubt, at some point, my boss is going to catch on.

So now I'm thinking that I should go to my doctor and make my point. I can't help but wonder if it will fall on deaf ears. All the doctors there do seem to have that, "You've only got spots, it's no big deal" approach. In fact, when I tried to book an appointment today, the receptionist didn't want to book it because I'm already taking medication. Pretty much had to justify myself to her, just to see a doctor.

Granted, I want to sort the acne out, but I'd really like some advice on the way I am emotionally and psychologically. For years I've avoided social situations and now I'm so out of my depth with that kind of thing due to lack of experience. I guess I just want to chat with the doctor about it and see if it helps. See if it help me understand and focus on the things I want to fix.

I'm wondering... what are your experiences of discussing these sorts on things with your doctor? Do they listen to you regarding the emotional and psychological effects? Do they take it seriously?

a doctor tends to stick to what their job description is and where their experiance and training was in, and that is typically to treat disease with scientifically proven methods approved by the fda.

so most will generally stick to doing their job. talking to the patients too much is beyond the scope of their job. They also need to avoid arguments with patients that expect them to do more then they are doing, so avoiding un needed conversation, is a benefit to both of you.

If you need someone to talk to, you could go to a psychologist or something, thats their thing.

Yeah, we met a couple of months ago and she asked me out. Initially I made an excuse to put the date off for a little while. It wasn't that I didn't want to go, just that I'm not used to being asked out and it took me be surprise. Think I just needed to get my head round it and felt like I needed a bit of time to prepare.

We arranged to go and see a band a few weeks later so that gave me time to prepare myself, but then she asked if we could meet sooner. Occurred to me that I couldn't delay twice so I said yes to meeting up the following weekend. As it happened, my skin looked alright on that day. We met up, had a great night and arranged to see each other again. I had so much fun with her that in the end I forgot about my skin. The main thought about her since then has been that if she could make me feel that way all the time, being with her would be so good! :D

For the three weeks following this, my skin was really broken out, just like it was in my teens when I didn't have a clue how to control it and wasn't taking medication. Instead of battling on through it, I started getting really anxious and paranoid about it. Didn't go out, had to force myself to go to work and kept leaving early.

It just made me realise that whatever issues I have as far as self-esteem and confidence are concerned are mainly triggered by my acne, but they'd still be there, underlying, whatever the condition of my skin, unless I addressed them.

So I came back to these boards after hardly posting since I joined a couple of years back. Got inspired by things I read and started to find a positive approach. Started to realise that a lot of how I feel is in my head and it's not necessarily how people see me.

I was bullied a lot in school because of my acne and I adopted certain approaches towards being around people socially and things. Guess I've never managed to let go of that approach and part of me perhaps behaves as though everyone I meet will act like the bullies did. That's not the case of course, but I think it's almost like an instinctive thing, for protection.

As far as Anna (the girl I met) is concerned, she's picked up on the fact that my confidence has been low recently, based on conversations we've had. I played it down or just avoided her questions about it, and I think she started to wonder if there was something really wrong. Quite rightly, she said she wouldn't want to be in a relationship with someone who wasn't in the right frame of mind to be part of it. She said she'd help me but I don't think she quite understands because I haven't explained what the problem is.

I'm going to give her a call later and see if she wants to go out next week. Just need to show in person that there's nothing really wrong with me and that it's certainly nothing she's done. Need to make sure I haven't put her off me due to me acting weird in recent weeks! :doh: If I end up telling her about my confidence problems and hang-ups, she'll probably laugh at me and tell me I'm worrying about nothing. Hope so anyway.

The main thing with my skin these days is that it annoys me, simply because I feel like it's close to clearing up, but it never quite gets there. Today my skin is red and has scarring as usually, but otherwise I have a few pimples. That's all. That "almost-but-not-quite-there" feeling is frustrating, especially when I make a big deal of it. Like I said, in my head it looks far worse than it actually does, so I really need to work on trying to get rid of this mental image. I'll get there eventually.

I joined a gym this week. Going to see if I can bulk up a bit, be fitter and get more energy. Will see if it helps me be healthier on the inside, if it has a positive affect on what's visible on the outside, and helps me be happier and more confident with my appearance overall.

Mate, I totally understand anxiety and disappointment in putting off plans to meet with someone based on how your skin looks. I'm definitely guilty of that and its disappointing to say the least.

To be frank for a minute, you sound like a smart, confident bloke. My advice would be to exude confidence to the girl you are currently involved with. Take control of the relationship, make time to see her, look her in the eyes when you speak to her. Girls will pick up on the fact that you don't directly look at her or avoid contact with her and chances are she will think it's a problem with her.

In my experience ( granted that I'm only 18 ) when you lack confidence in one area of your life, be that your skin, your job, your ability to take life by the balls or achieve your goals, you will find that it will pour over into every possible area of your life. Your job, your family, your girlfriend, your motivation etc.. ( and the list goes on ) will all basically turn to shit.

Anyway, enough of that! Here's what I suggest you do. Guys that know how to take a woman on a date are few and far between, take advantage of that. Take this girl out to nice dinner on a friday night, somewhere nice but not too expensive, order a bottle of wine and enjoy some nice food & eachothers company. It's amazing how we take that for granted these days. After dinner, take her dancing ( not up in the club or any of that shit ) take her out to a jazz club or something, have a few more drinks. Make sure it's one of those very chilled out jazz places so you guys can cuddle on the big comfy lounges and listen to the live music. Whether you both like jazz music or not, I guarantee that this will be sexy as hell. Get a taxi back to hers, whether she chooses to invite you in for some (tea & biccies) is just a bonus. Granted that sounds terribly, terribly gay but you wouldn't believe how much fun you can have by having a night like this.

Hope the appt with the doctor went well. Chin up bro! You've got a job, a girl and your on your way to clearing your skin, don't get obsessive with it, just do your best mate, that's all that counts. I hope my advice does not come off as arrogant to you, I would just like to see a few more blokes such as yourself achieving greatness.

Good idea joining a gym. I love heading to the gym after a crappy day and lifting some weights. Definitely not a bad way to get healthy and bulk up a bit. Just eat THAT proteeein son! Anyway mate, all the best with your future endeavours!

I think the best thing for you to do is to ask your GP to refer you to a therapist who would give you time to talk out your feelings. This is their job, and they'll give you the time.

You can also ask your GP to refer you to a dermatologist who specializes in acne. GPs are great, but they usually only have an overall picture of health. It's better to see a doctor who specializes in the field you need. Hopefully your GP won't take offence, but he shouldn't. You could also find a derm yourself. I'm not sure how it works in the UK though. You may need an actual referral.

Good luck!

Sound advice there, thanks a lot.

And Fouracre44, I reckon you're right - knowing how to set up a good date is probably the key part to forgetting about anything else which triggers confidence issues.

As for the girl in question, she hasn't been in touch recently and hasn't returned my calls. Don't know why, and don't suppose that's a good sign. But I'm not going to let it bother me and I'm not going to stress about it because that will only result in a breakout. And I'm not going to let it side-track me from feeling better about myself and starting a routine at the gym, etc..

Considering the therapy option. My first step has been almost have to admit to myself that I have acne. Strange thing to think, given that it's obviously visible to people and everyone already knows, but it's always seemed as though if I kept it to myself and kept it a "secret", nobody would raise the subject. Now I'm getting around to thinking, 'This is me, I have acne, I'm dealing with it and I'm making myself better because I doubt anyone could make me feel worse than I've made myself feel over the years, so this is all for me'.

If I didn't start there and open up to myself, as it were, there would be no way I'd feel happy enough to go and see someone about all the other confidence/self-esteem issues triggered by the acne.

Now, I actually like the idea of opening up to someone about it. There's even a buzz sometimes around sharing things on here sometimes because it lets it out and takes pressure off. It's something positive and it brings positive thoughts and a positive mentality.

I like the idea of getting that help I'm not happy to admit I could do with, and I like the idea that, in theory, there's a happier, confident, sociable version of myself waiting at the other end.

Sound advice there, thanks a lot.

And Fouracre44, I reckon you're right - knowing how to set up a good date is probably the key part to forgetting about anything else which triggers confidence issues.

As for the girl in question, she hasn't been in touch recently and hasn't returned my calls. Don't know why, and don't suppose that's a good sign. But I'm not going to let it bother me and I'm not going to stress about it because that will only result in a breakout. And I'm not going to let it side-track me from feeling better about myself and starting a routine at the gym, etc..

Considering the therapy option. My first step has been almost have to admit to myself that I have acne. Strange thing to think, given that it's obviously visible to people and everyone already knows, but it's always seemed as though if I kept it to myself and kept it a "secret", nobody would raise the subject. Now I'm getting around to thinking, 'This is me, I have acne, I'm dealing with it and I'm making myself better because I doubt anyone could make me feel worse than I've made myself feel over the years, so this is all for me'.

If I didn't start there and open up to myself, as it were, there would be no way I'd feel happy enough to go and see someone about all the other confidence/self-esteem issues triggered by the acne.

Now, I actually like the idea of opening up to someone about it. There's even a buzz sometimes around sharing things on here sometimes because it lets it out and takes pressure off. It's something positive and it brings positive thoughts and a positive mentality.

I like the idea of getting that help I'm not happy to admit I could do with, and I like the idea that, in theory, there's a happier, confident, sociable version of myself waiting at the other end.

i really understand a lot of what you are going through, man. I am sorry you have to go through it and that we all do. it sucks and its hard because not everyone understands. I am glad this site is here for people like us.

You seem like a very nice guy. It sucks that the girl has been MIA with you. but her loss!

but yah good luck with everything. acne and all. we dont need to let it define us :) And it's good to see you have gotten a good attitude about it.

Once I was afraid she wouldn't want to up the dosage on the antibiotics. So I basically said " need a break. I can't handle it anymore...etc..." And I wasn't crying or anything but I could see she felt bad for me. That's what really upsets me though, is that like I could see on her face that she felt bad, and to see her feeling bad for me makes really upset for some reason. And she said, "Okay, well with this you'll be nice and clear by the summer."

And then my other doctor (who does the micropeel) said "You're begining to have pitting." And just the word "pitting" put me on the verge of tears but I held it back until I was in the car. I've never discussed in depth with a doctor about it, but I would like to. I don't know how productive it would really be though.

Hey, Paul,

I noticed this topic of yours earlier and I feel like I have some experience to share.

When my acne started getting crazy uncontrollably I asked my family doctor what could I do. (I didn't went to that doctor specifically for acne, I had an appointment earlier and I thought I would ask about it as well.) Honestly, I felt..stupid for doing that. I could read from his face that he had no clue what I am talking about. Oh well. Can't blame him..I wasn't hoping for something anyway, because he wasn't a dermatologist.

I felt really bad about my skin condition, so, I didn't want to waste time and visited one of the best dermatologists in my country. From what I could read on the website and what I heard in general her work experience and career was quite amazing. So was her personality. Throughout our appointment she kept encouraging me and telling me that I look gorgeous. I don't think that I was prepared to talk about how acne affects me psychologically, but she was the one who brought it up first. It was very natural.

Unfortunately, I can't tell the same about my second dermatologist. At first she seemed great, although our communication was kind of awkward. She was private one and I was paying her for 1 hour consultations. However, after 15 minutes she used to literally push me out from her cabinet. She wouldn't hear my questions, she wouldn't let me speak, ah. ! She wouldn't let me doubt. Actually, it was her behaviour that made me stop visiting her. On our last appointment she literally yelled at me for not following her directions and diet, which I was following religiously. She saw some new acne on my face and accused me of eating chocolate. It was so ridiculous. I never came back to her.

ame about my second dermatologist. At first she seemed great, although our communication was kind of awkward. She was private one and I was paying her for 1 hour consultations. However, after 15 minutes she used to literally push me out from her cabinet. She wouldn't hear my questions, she wouldn't let me speak, ah. ! She wouldn't let me doubt. Actually, it was her behaviour that made me stop visiting her. On our last appointment she literally yelled at me for not following her directions and diet, which I was following religiously. She saw some new acne on my face and accused me of eating chocolate. It was so ridiculous. I never came back to her.

Wow that is terrible

By the way, no half decent dermatologist would say they were certain of a specific trigger for a patient's acne without much more evidence and proof. In fact, most dermatologists don't believe foods are a direct cause of acne but there are differences in opinion. Good thing you stopped seeing her!

ahhhhh one of the most on point topics ive seen !! Just like you, and as im reading, many people, my derm looks at me as another appt, not a person and doesnt want to hear any of the deeper topics related to acne. They look at your face, prescribe you something, and push you out the door !!!

my solution has been to find a counselor in your lcal area that adresses body issues, because skin issues are similar to body issues in some ways. i just set up my first appt so we'll see how it goes ! ill let you know (:

Katie

I just saw this and recognised the title of the thread... then realised I started it! lol.gif

Interesting to look back on it, given that it's a year since I wrote it. So much has happened in my life since then, drastic stuff. I can include my skin in that as well, and I guess I should be pleased to say that my acne is the only thing that's changed for the better.

I went back to my doctor after finishing the antibiotics I was on this time last year and started another one. I didn't taper off the first lot and once it was out of my system, my acne went crazy. Lesson learned, I'm currently tapering off that second lot of antibiotics. When I went back to get those, my doctor was still demonstrating that same, "Take these pills and maybe the acne will go eventually", approach. Plus he tried to scare me off discussing Accutane and discredited the research I'd done. All worked out in the end because he really frustrated me with that and it made me determined to prove that taking the antibiotics forever wasn't the answer. That eventually led me to getting tested for allergies and intolerances and I've been able to use that information to change my diet accordingly and, for the most part, clear my acne.

I never imagined a year ago that I'd be here now, stating that my skin is 99% clear. Guess it shows we shouldn't give up, even when it seems to be never-ending. Plus, when I think of all the knowledge I've gained in that time about why my skin was the way it was, why my body was doing what it was doing, and all the knowledge I've gained about diet, nutrition, taking a more holistic approach to skin care... it's all been invaluable to me. The best thing is, it's all come from the wonderful and supportive people on these boards and perfectly demonstrates why I like this place.

Just as I didn't think I'd get clear, I also never imagined I'd end up seeking professional help and doing therapy, or openly discussing with people my insecurities about my myself, my body and my skin. Those feelings are on a par with dysmorphia and the way I used to respond by picking my skin constantly was on a par with self-harm. Never thought I'd be discussing those two things either.

I wish you the very best of luck with your appointment, Katie, and I hope the counseling helps you address the things you're looking to bring under control. I'd certainly be very interested to hear how it all goes for you. If I may offer some, my advice would is to be as open as you can be and don't be scared to share stuff. I have nothing but positive things to say about the sessions I did from last September until January, both one-to-one and as part of a group, and I wouldn't hesitate in doing something similar again. In fact, I think when I sort a few other things out, I'm going to see if I can find support local to me that is perhaps tailored towards dysmorphia and body confidence issues. I'd like to see if I can do something relating to confidence in general actually, social skills and stuff like that, as they're other areas I seriously struggle with. They're all pretty much interlinked I guess so maybe everything will fall into place along the way.

smile.png

Oh man, I just wish everyone here could see my amazing dermatologist! I have been going to my clinic for about ten years now, and every doctor there has been so amazing. :) My appointments are usually 15-20 minutes long, and they have always listened to me and given me time to ask questions. I've even cried in that office more times than I can count, and I have gotten a lot of comfort there! My dermatologist feels more like a friend than a doctor, haha! Having an outgoing, pleasant personality also helps as well! Doctors are people, too, and they respond to positive, friendly patients. :) I want to reassure all of you that there are good doctors out there, not just doctors who care more about quantity than quality.

As someone who is chronically ill and has about ten doctors (who I am all very pleased with), my advice to anyone who has a doctor they dislike is to find another one. Don't stay with a doctor who will not take the time to treat you properly, who will not answer your questions, and who makes you feel insignificant. It is simply not worth it! Don't be afraid to stand up and ask for what you need. Ask doctors you like and trust for referrals to a good dermatologist. :) All of my doctors were recommended to me by other doctors - they will send you to colleagues they know and trust. You can also look for reviews on doctors online nowadays, and that is very helpful. If acne is a major issue to you, it's important to shop around to find a doctor who suits your needs. Don't settle for being brushed aside and seen for five minutes! Good doctors don't do that. I know from experience! :)

That eventually led me to getting tested for allergies and intolerances and I've been able to use that information to change my diet accordingly and, for the most part, clear my acne.

I'd like to hear more about how you went about doing this, Paul. I'm pretty clear nowadays but I'd like to get one of these tests done anyway.