Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tiedyedjembe

My experience: getting rid of my acne and improving my well being.

Hey,

I know there are a lot of people out there who suffer from acne that never seems to go away. For me, my first pimples began to occur when I was roughly 12 years old. By the time I was 14 it had developed into mild acne, but never went so far as to become severe. I tried everything, cremes, antibiotics, Accutaine. The positive effects from these treatments were always short lived, whereas their negative effects (I'm looking at you, Accutaine) still linger.

It should be noted that I am nearly 21 years old now and my acne still has not gone away. That said, the last few months I have been trying something new and it seems to be working. Not only are my pimples disappearing but my pores are smaller and the overall look of my skin is much healthier. Even the scarring left behind by years of pimples is beginning to fade.

I have been a vegetarian since I was 16 but I have always had a soft spot for pastries and pasta/bread. This, I think, has been my downfall all these years. A few months ago, completely by accident, I noticed a direct correlation between breakouts and my eating bread and pasta. After realizing this relationship I made the decision to switch to a gluten free diet. (I don't know If I am actually gluten intolerant but this seems to be working). My advice to anyone who has persistent acne that never seems to go away would be to go to a doctor and get checked for any food allergies.

So, you may now be wondering if I don't eat meat and I don't eat grain products, then what do I eat?

Additionally, I am a full time student who works 30 hours per week. Between school work and real work, how do I get everything I need on a daily basis?

Well, the truth is, I probably don't. But I try.

My diet consists primarily of raw fruits and vegetables. Everywhere I go, I bring an apple, banana, tomato, or red pepper with me. I find that my blood sugar needs constant maintenance otherwise I begin to feel very "numb" and my hands shake. I'm not sure why this occurs but I have been this way for as long as I can remember (really fast metabolism?).

Other staples of my diet include: avocados, beets, mangoes, oranges, grapes, coconut, kiwi, broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, pears, asparagus, and occasionally sweet potatoes.

In total, I probably consume 8-10 servings of fruits and vegetables per day.

As a vegetarian I am often asked the question, "where do I get my protein?"

Well, as a person who likes tofu, it really isn't that difficult. Tofu is packed with protein and tastes great with vegetables, in salads, sauted, or in soups. Additionally, I drink plenty of soy milk and eat yogurt a couple times per week. Peanuts and almonds are also a great source of nutrition and are an important part of my diet.

Tea: I drink it morning, noon, and night. I probably drink 5-6 cups of tea per day, my preference being green, but sometimes I will switch it up with either chai or peppermint. In combination with drinking plenty of water, tea helps me to properly digest my food and keep my system cleansed.

So, it has been a long battle, but I feel as though my struggle with acne is finally coming to a close. If I had known it would be so simple all these years, I would have done it a lot sooner. Really, all it takes is changing your diet. I have always avoided consuming sugary/fatty/processed foods, but by also cutting out grain products and replacing them with FRESH fruit and vegetables, the condition of my skin has improved exponentially. A regular washing routine doesn't hurt either

I should also mention that since I have made this lifestyle change, my sebaceous glands seem to be less active. My hair used to get greasy by the end of the day. Now, my hair only needs to be washed twice per week.

Edited by tiedyedjembe

I'm with you. I also had acne since I was 12, but I'm now 35.

I just made a similar post regarding that my skin has been much clearer since I started a part vegetarian diet and high fibre foods, with heaps and heaps of water. I also only use Dan's products.