Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I know this thing is long, but it will be worth your while to read, it trust me.

Before the summer of 2010, I hated my life. My face was in terrible shape. I had an extremely red complexion. I had pimples all around my mouth and chin area, and also around my nose. My face was greasy as hell, but also dry and flaky where it wasn't oily. Then, I did something to my face that cleared my up in about 2 weeks. It costs nothing and saved my skin, literally. If you want results instead of the constant letdown that every anti-acne product gives you, continue reading and learn from my story.

My first pimple appeared when I was in 5th grade. I didn't think much of it and just let it go. After that, I would get a new one every couple months or so. At the end of 6th grade, I had 2 pimples on my face at once, and this was a cause for alarm in my book at that time. So, my mom went out and bought me a simple face wash with no Salicyic Acid or Benzoyl Peroxide in it. I barley used it on a daily basis until 7th grade when I would get a pimple once a week. I started to wash nightly. Soon, as I saw no improvement, I got a wash that did have BA in it. That didn't help either. By 8th grade, I was washing with both SA and BA cleansers and had a 10% spot treatment. I can remember 1 day coming to school with ugly burn marks on pimples I had tried to treat the night before. They looked like herpes sores. 9th grade was when my acne started to take off. I was trying every product known to man in that aisle in the drug store thinking it would make a difference. People began noticing how red my face was getting after using these products. Again, nothing worked. I came into 10th grade with a terrible face. Soon, after using even more products, and having them fail, my mom made an appointment with the dermatologist, I was put on some sort of cream, Retin A, and an antibiotic. All of which did nothing and made my skin break out even more and made my skin even more red. The antibiotic also gave me a sour stomach every day and made my skin very irritated in the slightest sun exposure. I was on the verge of starting accutane.

I threw away another "solution" to my acne and sat and thought. I ended up looking at my old baby and elementary school photos and noticed that my face was always flawless. I thought, what did I do to my face back then? Nothing. Then I recalled all the old photos Iv'e seen. There were no main stream acne products until the 1970's. All the photos that I have seen that date from the 1800's to the 1970's, teenage-looking kids in those pictures have always had flawless skin. But they didn't use anything on their faces to keep it that way.

It was about a week before that summer (2010) started, and all I did to my skin after that was rinse it with water to control my oiliness. My skin cleared, my facial redness disappeared, gradually my oiliness left (so I stopped rinsing my face in the morning), and my skin tone on my face matched with the rest of my body.

This is my regimen:

Morning: wake up.

Night: Take a shower and hold face under warm water

Trouble shooting:

Oiliness: You may see your face become oily after starting this regimen. It is okay to rinse your face with cool water to reduce this, but soon your face will naturally heal itself and create a healthy oil amount and you won't look shiny anymore.

Flakes: To adjust to this new regimen, your face might start flaking really bad. This is natural. Do not pick or peel at these flakes. Just let them slide off naturally or exfoliate with natural sea salt.

Soon, your body will adjust and you will see no more flaking.

Initial Breakout: You may experience a few breakouts when you first start. Don't worry about them. Let your body adjust and keep on going with the regimen.

Extra Tips for Keeping Clear Skin on this Regimen:

*Avoid processed foods with artificial colors, artificial flavors, preservatives, etc. I know there's no proof that food ties in with acne, but I know when I eat healthier, my skin usually stays clearer. If you do end up eating these foods, do what I do: balance them out with healthier choices. On the rare occasion that my mom brings home Wendy's, I'll go drink lots of water and eat fresh fruit after I'm done eating the burgers and stuff.

*Stay Hydrated. Always have a water bottle in your hand. Make sure your pee is usually light yellow or clear. Why? I have no idea. When I'm hydrated I feel better and my skin shows it.

*Replace your pillow sheet with a clean, fresh one every night. This reduces the amount of oil your face has to sit in every night. It helps a lot. It's a hassle, but just do it :)

*Use all-natural/organic products for your hair and body. Naturally, you were never meant to use all these products with chemicals and artificial additives. Could they be contributing to your acne? It's hard to tell, but eliminating them from use could help. Give it a try.

Conclusion:

The bottom line is that no product designed to cure your acne will ever do so. Big acne companies sell you products that work "okay" and keep you coming back for their new product. They don't care about your skin, they just want your money. My belief is that kids start freaking out because they get one pimple, start putting acne products on their face thinking it will fry off the pimples, the products only make their condition worse, then they start the phase of when the prescription companies get their money when these victims go to dermatologists. It's a vicious and evil cycle.

If you want true results, go the all natural way.

yeah, it's definitely best to use as few chemicals on your face as you can. I just have been using a natural cleanser and eat a healthy diet, and now i am clear (with the exception of a pimple occasionally - sometimes you have to have some sweets).

I'm glad that your approach worked for you. That being said, it's an outrageous claim to issue a blanket statement saying that all topicals are bad. Not all topicals are bad. Millions of people worldwide have seen an improvement, if not an outright clear up, from using them. I am one of them, and your statement that everyone can clear their acne by minimalization and rinsing with water is no more valid than someone's suggestion that everyone can get clear through BP. Neither of those are true. Similarly, "natural" products are not inherently safer than artificial ones -- there are plenty of toxic and harmful chemicals in nature.

I agree mostly. Those companies, whether claims to be "natural and tested" or not, all they want is YOUR money. For example, on the clinique website, they even have "Replenishment Service" which delivers their products to you every 30,60 days...etc. They are basically saying that "Oh, you gotta keep using it, our products don't actually cure acne, BUT THEY DO" and that's just ridiculous. However, cleansing is definitely important, so you still gotta buy something to clean them.

I'm glad that your approach worked for you. That being said, it's an outrageous claim to issue a blanket statement saying that all topicals are bad. Not all topicals are bad. Millions of people worldwide have seen an improvement, if not an outright clear up, from using them. I am one of them, and your statement that everyone can clear their acne by minimalization and rinsing with water is no more valid than someone's suggestion that everyone can get clear through BP. Neither of those are true. Similarly, "natural" products are not inherently safer than artificial ones -- there are plenty of toxic and harmful chemicals in nature.

sandman, I highly doubt your face stays consistantly clear.

Lol this is my regime as well, it took me a few old photos of myself for me to realise that the more acne care "advanced" the worst my acne got when I used them, It didnt make sense to me, so I rebelled and decided that I refuse to give these big corporate companies the satisfaction, now I only use water at night and reject all other chemical products, my skin is 100 times better than it was whilst I was using topicals, this is MY experience and what, for the best part, worked for me :)

sandman, I highly doubt your face stays consistantly clear.

Not to be snarky, but since you've started it...I have not had an inflamed pimple for more than a month. So yeah, I would say that I've been staying consistently clear :snooty:

This is essentially a 'do-nothing' regime combined with healthy eating, and whilst I'm glad you had success, it is highly unlikely you have hormonal acne. It is true some people's acne can be casued or exacerbated with topical products, especially when not used properly, but equally they can be very effective in treating acne.

It is clearly absurd to suggest acne is simply the result of the marketing of topical acne treatments. Both acne and acne products existed well before the 1970's, indeed Benzoyl Peroxide was first used as an acne treatment in the 1930s.

Okay so let me understand this ..............no washing of the face of any kind???

I understand not using any facial wash or products sold in the beauty departmant but what about the cleaner you use on your body?

Okay so let me understand this ..............no washing of the face of any kind???

I understand not using any facial wash or products sold in the beauty departmant but what about the cleaner you use on your body?

Well I dont know about the OP but basically, i still use shampoo to wash my hair, I still use soap to wash my body, I still use toothpaste to brush my teeth, I just dont use anything but water at night, on my face. :D

I don't use any products whatsoever anymore on my face.

Shampoo once a day for my hair, thats it.

I tried this after relapsing after a course of roaccutance and have been clear for 2 years now.

I would have laughed if anyone would have told me this was a good idea a few years ago as I was obsessed with trying different products but I wish I would have tried it 5 years earlier!

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape