Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
quitting

11 Day Challenge - No Skin Picking

Hey everyone, I've noticed that some people have started 30 day or 100 day challenges of no skin picking and I think it's a great idea. I want to start an 11 day challenge of no skin picking - not one clogged pore, blackhead, pimple, or any other blemishes can be picked. Today, 2/21 is the first day of the challenge!

I pick at my skin whether it's a big pimple or a barely visible blackhead and I've had enough. I picked yesterday night and I'm really depressed today so I decided to actually do something productive with my sadness by starting this challenge. I've tried to stop picking before with barely any success so this time I'm changing the game up a bit. Instead of saying to myself that I'm going to quit picking forever, I've given myself the more reasonable goal of not picking for 11 days. Once the 11 days are up, a new challenge of not picking for another 11 days begins and hopefully it'll go on until picking is no longer a part of my life! Anyone who is up for the challenge, join me! We can all give up picking for good :D !

I'm going to post updates everyday of the challenge. Anyone who takes on the challenge and wants to post to keep the rest of us updated, please do :) .

Guest Bloody Corpse Deamonn duh

nice! anywayz this looks intresting will gonna keep an eye at your progress ;)

Hey I'll join you in this. I'm also trying to break that bad habit, but only on day 6 right now :(

Anyway, best of luck with this. I'll be keeping track of your progress.

Today is the second day of the 11 day challenge and I feel pretty determined to complete it!

To be honest, I've gone two days without picking before so this actually isn't much of an accomplishment :confused: I don't feel the oh so familiar urge to pick at my skin. I'm wondering when the urge is going to creep back up because that's when this is going to get very difficult.

Bloody Corpse Deamonn duh - Thanks for your interest! :)

Telomere - I'm really glad you decided to take on the challenge! Let me know how it goes for you and I hope it works out for both of us ;) Although 6 days sounds like it's a short amount of time, I know how looonnnnggggggg it feels when it's 6 days of NO PICKING. So congratulations on your 6 days of no picking!

Hi ;) The 3rd day of the challenge is almost over and I haven't picked at anything. :D The desire to pick, poke, and scratch my skin is still pretty silent but I'm hearing it whisper and that's a problem since this is only the third day.

aliass - Yay I'm happy you joined! :D Best of luck to you with completing the challenge! Keep me updated. ;)

Well I always avoid milk but had 5 probiotic drinks yesterday because I've always felt slightly 'off' since taking anti-biotics so thought, what the heck...I've broken out worse than ever, literally, i think this is my worst ever outbreak and I 100% put it down to the probiotics. I have 3/4 spots on either side of my chin and one above my lip. I usually only have 2/3 spots at a time so dealing with 7/8 is killing me.

God dairy is the devil.

In other news...I haven't picked at them :)

nice, but stay alert anywayz! this ocd thing is very tricky. ive previously made 22days n still relapsed to picking & littlemisschatterbox even 50 or so days, but still..anyhow imo the longer u make your progress of not picking, the less u pick if u pick anywayz. i used to completely destroy my face, like every other day and simply harsh picking all i can, every single fukin day, for many hours, n many yrs >.> i actually wonder now how i didnt end up with horrible scarring by now with all that ive done to my face :doh: i do have few scars tho from which 1 were kinda deep actually (now that i check it in mirror i barely see it tho, but i know certain lightning could bring it up however) n to fade it takes aaaasss loong time, & even tho its deff not easy to quit this ocd thing but u deff gotta bcz asap u deal with this skin will be able to start healing finally, so keep this in mind & ofc wear gloves!!! :boohoo:

Just an update, still going through this terrible breakout, I hope for most of it to be gone by Monday. The only things I changed in my diet were the addition of bananas in my smoothie and like i say the probiotics x 5 (which are dairy) I always quit dairy, get bearable skin and then go back on dairy to see if I'm okay and brake out like a bastard.

Anyway, I go to bed in about 2 hours and I have made this post to promise you all I won't pick tonight. Dreading going in to work on Saturday though. At least I'm going to watch Chelsea vs Manchester united on Tuesday.

Edit - ready for bed and didn't pick! Well, I popped 1 whitehead but I don't care about that. Whitehead = get off my face. Anything else = leave alone.

So that's 2 days down, day three tomorrow and work on Saturday looking like this (hopefully if I don't pick though my acne won't look AS bad) :(

Edited by aliass

Day 4/11 and I haven't picked :) I caught myself many times today subconsciously touching and feeling my skin for breakouts. I know that's a warning sign that my desire to pick is growing. Also, I wanted to look close up in the mirror. You know when you have the urge to look in the mirror but it actually means you want to pick? Yah, I had that urge. I'm happy I fought it and didn't look in the mirror because who knows what that would have led to.

Thanks to all of you for the updates it really gives me support and I hope I support you guys too!

aliass - I'm really sorry that milk made you break out like that and I'm proud of you for not touching them! I know how hard it is not to pick when a breakout happens so I feel for you. I like the way you promised us that you wouldn't pick and you followed through with it, I hope it helped.

I remember when I took antibiotics that I couldn't have dairy because I think it stops the antibiotics from working their best. I wish I could give more information but I haven't heard of dairy causing breakouts like that. I hope I'm not too far off when I guess that maybe you're having a bizarre allergic reaction or you're lactose intolerant? Neither of those reasons make much sense to me though. :confused:

I know how annoying whiteheads can be but try not to touch those either please.:) It's just better because when you pop a pimple most of the time the pore never goes back to it's original shape or size so it increases the chances of the pore getting clogged and of more pimples appearing.

I also want to hide and not go out when I breakout or pick but we can't live in hiding so remember the following things when you go out and face your work!:D Remember this: almost everybody has had pimples and somewhat know how it feels so nobody will "see" you differently even if you think you look different or bad. Even more important to remember: When somebody breaks out it looks A LOT better than when somebody breaks out and picks at it. ;) As a random off topic comment I felt like making, you seem to be very mathematically oriented.

Bloody Corpse Deamonn duh - I agree with your comments and logic, I've thought the same things before.;) I'd say picking is a really dangerous OCD and type of self-injury that needs more attention. Picking is still somewhat taboo or considered not as harmful as drugs or drinking which really doesn't help all people trying to quit the bad habit. Picking is extremely mentally addicting and physically harmful! Sorry I'm getting kinda passionate. The fact that not enough attention is paid to picking really heats me up. How is it that people who want smaller noses or bigger boobs can easily get that done while people who want to heal their acne and scars can't?

I'm amazed that you once went that long without picking, congrats! :) I'm going to try to go that long, and hopefully longer. Can I ask if you're trying to quit picking now?

You're right, each day you go without picking and you fight the urge is a victory because you get closer to overcoming the addiction. So if you do relapse, it will be less often than usual and the harm you do won't be as bad as usual.

Thanks for the reminders! Sometimes I think to myself that I have no hope of quitting to pick or getting rid of the scars. Ironically and horribly, picking helps me cope with the pain of having pimples, scars, and of having previously picked. So it's a horrible cycle. Sometimes I think that I might as well live the rest of my life picking. But then I wouldn't be living at all. So whether we ever get rid of acne or scars, we need to stop picking and live life!

Congrats quitting, that's good to hear! With regards to whiteheads, I'm afraid they are must go. Can't be walking around with a whitehead on my face :\

Anyway, I'm not joking, this is the worst breakout I've had in my LIFE. I really don't know if I'm going to be able to go work tomorrow.

I was using nothing on my face for 3 weeks (came off BP) but then started putting 100% Tea Tree Oil on just my chin. Anyway, my chin is the biggest mess it has ever been. I feel like giving up...at everything. Struggled with acne for the best part of 4 years now :(

I'm just hoping this is because of those probiotics I took (dairy) because whenever I've had dairy before it has always resulted in a breakout.

Anyway - had a whitehead this morning that I picked at but like I say, for me that doesn't count.

Just going to lock myself in my room all day today and watch Mad Men I think. (helps keep me away from mirrors too)

So I picked at another whitehead - don't count that!

I have got work tomorrow and it's going to be tough :\ happy I haven't picked at my skin though, about to go get ready for bed and once again I'll come back and edit this post to confirm and promise that I didn't pick!

Back from the bathroom! Didn't pick :) Bad news though is that I've put some mario Badescu drying cream on my spots. Trying to go all natural but I just really want to get over this breakout and seeing as I've got work tomorrow I would appreciate a little bit of help with regards to these going away.

Aliass

Edited by aliass

Today is the 5th day of the challenge and I haven't picked. Here's the problem: I'm only almost half way through the challenge and I really want to pick. My urge to pick is back and strong, which is what I was worried about on day one. I didn't think it would come this early though. I'm only on day 5. :( Today I looked in the mirror but somehow I didn't pick. I scratched a little at a few and although that doesn't count because it doesn't do any damage, I feel guilty for doing it. Anyway, I feel like I'm about to crack under the pressure of the thoughts and desire to pick. I need motivation and help because I feel like I'm going to end up picking. Stay tuned.

aliass - Although I really want to motivate you to go to work so that acne doesn't start taking over your life, if it really bothers you, use a sick day ;) Don't give up! The breakout will calm down. It might take some time, but they'll heal. Is accutane an option for you? If dairy has made you breakout in the past then it probably is dairy that caused this. So in the meantime avoid dairy, avoid picking, and ask your doctor about why dairy might be causing this because you can't live without ice cream and pizza.

I'm glad that you stay away from mirrors by locking yourself in your room but you'll probably feel better if you go out or hang out with friends. I honestly feel the same way you do most of the time so I'm basically giving you and myself this advice. When I go out while feeling bad about my skin, I either feel better that I was strong enough to face the world and I notice that it wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it was or I want to go back home as soon as possible and cry. Well at least I tried, right?

I'm again really happy that you managed not to pick through your breakout! :D I'll ignore the whiteheads you've picked and hope that you'll either stop getting them or will eventually stop picking them. Here's my story to motivate you: I used to get pretty bad whiteheads until I told myself that I had to stop picking them period. So it took me a while to actually listen to my orders but popping whiteheads eventually stopped being appealing to me. I lived for a while with obvious whiteheads and didn't pick them, they went away, then I lived once again with new obvious whiteheads and didn't pick them, they went away, and it went on like that for some time. I realized that the whiteheads weren't as big as usual and that less were appearing. The more whiteheads that I lived through, the less I had to deal with. This is going to sound dramatic but I still remember the last three whiteheads I had that I didn't pick because those where basically the end of me getting bad whiteheads. So what I was trying to say (sorry for the long story) is that if you try to live through a couple whiteheads, you might stop getting them. It's worth the try as opposed to constantly getting whiteheads and picking them.

Good luck at work! :D

Today is the 6th day of the challenge and I picked - pretty badly. :(:(:( My first attempt at the 11 Day Challenge died on the 6th day. But I'm going to try the challenge again! I'm hopefully going to complete it this time! I'm going to start a new post about my second attempt. For all of you who joined me in this challenge please learn from my mistake, do not pick, and complete the challenge. :)

I feel like I've posted about my painful deterioration: Day 1- feeling great, Day 6- hate myself. Posting about my attempt to quit helped because as I was picking I actually thought to myself - what am I suppose to tell the people on acne.org?

I'm really ashamed of and hate myself for picking. I have really good self control when it comes to other things, but with picking I have almost no self control. Quitting was my new year's resolution and it's almost March :( I can't believe that I did this same exact thing 6 days ago and I was able to do it again today. I felt so horrible 6 days ago and my skin looked bad and I somehow forgot how bad I felt and my skin looked better so I picked. The thing is, as I pick I feel really good. It lets out stress and all those bad emotions. I need to replace picking with something else, but what?

hey thats k, u did 6 days, its still great n yaay, just start all over again. aand u gotta let go of feeling good while picking, try to think about how u gonna screw up your face n how u gonna feel afterwards n how u gonna look next day n how long it will take to heal (skin rly is very subtle n takes aaages to restore its previous state so u rly dont wanna fuk it up), dont ever forget those!! also wear gloves when your hands r leisure, if u touch yo face at least glove will remind u to not do that. n keep going dude, ur doing good already, just dont stop at that! good lucks!

Hey, I'm going to start a new post for my second attempt at the challenge so I can have a fresh start.

Bloody Corpse Deamonn duh- Thanks for the encouragement! It really wasn't ok that I picked :( But thanks for making me feel better and for the good advice :D I'm going to try to stop feeling good while picking but even when I tell myself those things (my skin is going to look horrible etc) while picking I don't stop :(

Gah, i just picked at something that wasn't a whitehead, so annoyed at myself. Ah well, not the end of the world. Slowly recovering from the horrid breakout I had. Back to the drawing board.

aliass - Sorry you picked, but don't feel bad I relapsed too. Yay I'm glad the breakout is going away! Btw my new posts are going to be on: 11 Day Challenge - Take Two.