Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
treefase93

The Anti-Red Meat Diet

Edit:

In order to avoid putting an inordinate amount of effort into a thread that's sentimentally very simple, I removed the brief timeline and I'll say this instead: red meat (pig and cow) certainly increases the amount of inflammation on my face, is a trigger for cysts, and massively increases my breakouts and propensity for the bacteria to spread. I drink lots of milk, eat lots of candy and fatty foods, and exercise and drink little. With red meat out of the picture all of a sudden, it's like a switch has turned; no new breakouts for 2+ weeks, cysts aren't continually increasing in size and severity and most have been taken care of, and whiteheads go away on their own without ever maturing. My skin looks healthier and fresher, and I don't get flushed as easily. I'm gaining muscle and weight more easily (less fatigue). I'm more regular and my appetite has increased. If any of that changes and I'm still abstaining from red meat, this post will be lost in cyberspace. I'm that sure.

I'm serious; I don't want to have to (and probably couldn't) convince people to without a shadow of a doubt. I've tried too many regimens that promised to do me good and took all the effort in the world and didn't work correctly for me. Upon seeing literally ANY new regimen on this forum, my first thought is skepticism and my second is apathy. If you're anything like me, it won't matter how much detail I put into the thread. Sentiment: Try cutting out red meat and see what happens. (It's not that hard and red meat doesn't do you a lot of good anyway.)

The remainder of the OP is in chunkylard's quotes. It doesn't get to the point as quickly or thoroughly but contains a few smaller sentiments.

Edited by treefase93

Acne has been one of the most physically and psychologically damaging experiences in my life. At one point, I was getting 10-30 whiteheads every day, and as recent as Christmastime I was breaking out in several cysts every week, probably due to certain Christmas dinners consisting of tri-tip steaks and holiday hams (even though I'd been mostly clear beforehand).

So something I'd never expected to be problematic happened to be thematic during the weeks and months I experienced breakouts: RED MEAT. This includes pork/ham and beef, but it may very well include all of it.

Previously, I'd assumed red meat was actually healthier and more beneficial to my skin than "light" meats like seafood and poultry. After all, red meat generally contains more nutrients like zinc, iron, and selenium than poultry or fish. Now, even though I already recently discovered just how healthy poultry like turkey was (with all the tryptophan and niacin it has), I still hadn't figured that red meat could be a trigger.

It came as a surprise to me too that even though red meat has some good stuff in it, it isn't the strength-building, vital "manly" meat I thought it was. Instead, it just gave me zits and a propensity towards depression because of them. There's nothing strong or manly about being depressed and ugly.

I really shouldn't ramble on about my experiences with extensive anecdotal evidence, but I'll say this: I can basically GUARANTEE that if I eat pig or cow two days in a row (and depending on the amount, sometimes just one day) I will get BAD breakouts, no matter any of the other factors involved.

THE TEST:

I've been testing my theory about red meat triggering my breakouts since the New Year, after having a very zitty Christmas.

My regimen since January 1 (don't follow this; it's a demonstration, mostly circumstantial):

-rinse face with cold water in the morning

-apply jojoba oil

-don't drink enough water

-don't shave (I do have a thick blond beard right now)

-don't exercise

-avoid adequate sleep

-experience extreme stress and anxiety

WEEK 1:

Ate healthy in general. All foods were clean and I didn't eat any known triggers... except for red meat. I ate two cheeseburgers, a beef chimichanga, and a few beef tacos. Earned myself 20+ prestigious Vulgaris Badges.

WEEK 2:

Repeated. Ate a total of 6 beef enchiladas and some tri-tip, as well as a beef sandwich and a ham sandwich. Doubled my collection of suppurating death marbles.

WEEK 3:

Repeated week 1. Lowered my red meat intake to a couple beef enchiladas and one single hot dog. This time just a couple more cysts, inflammation... I destroyed $450 worth of hard drives and storage equipment (losing over a year of my work), and, well, it wasn't a good time for me.

WEEK 4:

Began my reverse elimination diet, and stopped eating the one thing I didn't want to have to stop eating, but had a hunch I should: red meat. I got a few whiteheads a few days into the week, but eventually they stopped. One Thursday morning I awoke to look in the mirror, and, to my exhilaration, discover no new inflammation or marks.

The diet was kept rather clean, with the exception of the occasional milkshake and box of chocolates (out of depression).

WEEK 5:

The contrast between my red meat days and their discontinuation was so extreme that I couldn't stop myself. For the first time in a long time, I started chowing down on whatever I wanted to, EXCEPT red meat. I had a 20-piece McNuggets, large fry, and a large strawberry Triple-Thick milkshake. I ate 7 bananas and 2 containers of hummus one day. I drank a gallon of milk the next, accompanied by a shrimp Burrito Ultimo (of course, I can't go over the whole week's diet, but it wasn't exemplary).

I was feeling amazing.

WEEK 6:

Happiness and a carefree attitude; my world had completely changed. I started talking with the friends I had alienated due to insecurity before. Diet SUCKED. I hit 210 lbs., all fat (it only shows in my face), but that's what happiness in America looks like. My skin was healing rapidly. I had red marks from the previous cysts, but they were smaller and fading, and every inch of my face was looking so much better. Started doing salt baths, which further contributed to evening out my skin.

WEEK 7:

Clear. Again.

(With the exception of one small whitehead. Strangely, having one single whitehead pleases me very immensely.)

It's good to be back, world. I missed you.

So, in conclusion... you should just try, for a couple weeks, cutting out red meat completely (no compromises). Seriously. I have pages worth of anecdotes I could go over, but I can't convince those who don't want to be convinced.

Also, here's a little background on me, out of the way. A lot of it has to do with my digestive system and lower intestines, since I figure diet and the digestive system are fairly related (and very common topics on this forum).

-have tried everything short of isotretinoin

-tetracycline gets me 100% clear within a week; I've done 3 courses before

-overdosing on Metamucil gets me clear

-but... tetracycline causes constipation

-I'm irregular, and I have irritable bowels

-I need to eat tons of prunes otherwise I'll be more irregular

-I have a very weak stomach (I get indigestion all the time)

-I'm not like everybody, and neither are you; everyone's body is different

I totally agree.. I have been off red meat for 5+ months and the past two days I ate it.. Well today I have about 6 huge cysts on my chin!!! No more red meat for me

Hint: Get organic, grass-fed red meat. My guess is the reason some people break out from any type of meat, is because they're getting the hormone-laden stuff or the meat with a bunch of fillers, so it might be like 70% meat 30% corn syrup 100% evil.

I've never heard of people breaking out from organic beef and it's been my personal experience that organic red meat is definitely beneficial to my skin and hair. It didn't just help reduce my breakouts, but literally improved the texture of my skin.

your wit is most amusing good sir. whatever works, more power to you, with one caveat: try to eat a little less nugget food and a little more real food.

Beef isn't real food? Silly me, I guess it's made in a factory unlike those pesticide-spritzed plants that are genetically engineered to have less nutrients and yet are twice as big as the original found in nature. :wall:

Omgosh they have beef nuggets? I need to get on that. Never saw those before.

Cheeseburgers aren't healthy. Dairy is in them. Not to mention the white bread bun. Many people break out from dairy. Not to mention the tacos (the shells.)

You failed to isolate beef/red meat as a possible cause.

Week 2:

Once again, the corn/flour tortilla.

Week 3:

Hot dogs are not 100% meat. I shudder to think of what else is in them. In fact, since I'm such a nice guy I'll read the ingredients in hot dogs from my roommate's groceries.

Mechanically separated turkey and chicken, pork, water, contains less than 2% of salt, potassium lactate, corn syrup (corn again), dextrose, sodium phosphates, sodium diacetate, sodium ascorbate, sodium nitrite, flavor (haha, what is this "flavor?")

Week 4:

Most people get periodic moments of clarity or no new breakout. Then a few days later it continues. Then a few days later it's good. Then a few days later it's worse.

Week 5:

You failed to demonstrate to us that red meat is the variable in your diet which is giving you problems. Not to mention, hot dogs are partially red meat. Your diet is not healthy by any means and you also failed to cut out other potential problem-causing foods such as dairy or grains, etc. which are some of the most common causes.

Week 6:

Emotions play a big part of acne. Also see week 4.

Week 7:

I've heard of people having success with salt baths and suddently clearing up a lot after going to the beach due to the effect the salt has on the skin (dries it out and decreases oil which in turn decreases acne.)

I'm not saying beef 100% doesn't break you out, but I'm saying you failed to convince me that red meat was definitely the culprit. At the same time you were eating beef/red meats, you were eating other problematic foods.

Edited by chunkylard

Beef isn't real food? Silly me, I guess it's made in a factory unlike those pesticide-spritzed plants that are genetically engineered to have less nutrients and yet are twice as big as the original found in nature. :wall:

Omgosh they have beef nuggets? I need to get on that. Never saw those before.

Cheeseburgers aren't healthy. Dairy is in them. Not to mention the white bread bun. Many people break out from dairy. Not to mention the tacos (the shells.)

You failed to isolate beef/red meat as a possible cause.

Technically, that's true and a valid complaint for some, but that wasn't the point. Certainly if I added more detail I could have done more to convince you, but this thread isn't to convince those who don't want to be convinced (I tried to imply that). Something that's worked so "grandly" (I'm tired and want to use that word) for me is bound to benefit at least some others, like thousands of other ideas on this forum that claim to eradicate acne. I honestly don't want to put the effort into this thread to prove that, for select groups of individuals, red meat is the ULTRA MAGNUS CULPRIT FOR ALL THEIR SKIN PROBLEMS; there would be no point. No one is at the level of medical understanding where such a thing can be pinpointed or proven with any consistency, so why try to "prove" the hypothesis, or, sorry to point you in another direction, but the mere notion that red meat has cured my skin and could cure others'. Point in hand: you are not at the level of desperation, curiosity, or experience nor part of the demographic this thread targets.

On to the current agenda: I've been eating chicken enchiladas, and corn, and white bread... I don't even understand your point about the white bread. My diet varies wildly from day to day; the one specific change I made was replacing red meat with other types of meat or no meat whatsoever, and for practical purposes everything else has stayed the same. It would be excessive to list out everything I've eaten down to the last shred of cheese on my baked potato, since, again: not the point or purpose of the thread.

Week 2:

Once again, the corn/flour tortilla.

Addressed above and below and slightly to the right.

Week 3:

Hot dogs are not 100% meat. I shudder to think of what else is in them. In fact, since I'm such a nice guy I'll read the ingredients in hot dogs from my roommate's groceries.

Mechanically separated turkey and chicken, pork, water, contains less than 2% of salt, potassium lactate, corn syrup (corn again), dextrose, sodium phosphates, sodium diacetate, sodium ascorbate, sodium nitrite, flavor (haha, what is this "flavor?")

It was a beef hot dog, and I ate a few turkey dogs to curb my recent hot dog cravings; loved the hell out of them.

Week 4:

Most people get periodic moments of clarity or no new breakout. Then a few days later it continues. Then a few days later it's good. Then a few days later it's worse.

I've been getting acne for 5 years.

Week 5:

You failed to demonstrate to us that red meat is the variable in your diet which is giving you problems. Not to mention, hot dogs are partially red meat. Your diet is not healthy by any means and you also failed to cut out other potential problem-causing foods such as dairy or grains, etc. which are some of the most common causes.

If I went into all the details, and into the details of how I'm drinking a half gallon of milk (made up of milkshakes, yogurt, and whole milk) every day, to address your milk concerns...

Also, cheese...? The cheese on the back of a cheeseburger isn't going to give me cysts.

I've done elimination diets, and given up on them before I started separating meats into categories, but dairy is 95% of the time the first food group anyone looks at. For me, it increases my inflammation if I'm unlucky, but it DOES NOT cause my acne.

Read on, sir.

Week 6:

Emotions play a big part of acne. Also see week 4.

Agreed. That could also be said about literally any regimen. Played video games all night Friday and cried a little thinking about the deceased, then I got in a fight with my best friend.

Week 7:

I've heard of people having success with salt baths and suddently clearing up a lot after going to the beach due to the effect the salt has on the skin (dries it out and decreases oil which in turn decreases acne.)

I've taken... two salt baths. Two, not starting when I began clearing up, and only done to even out my skin and scarring. Sea salt is extremely expensive, and no, a salt bath is not going to keep you clear for days to come. All it's done is improve the appearance of my skin.

I'm not saying beef 100% doesn't break you out, but I'm saying you failed to convince me that red meat was definitely the culprit. At the same time you were eating beef/red meats, you were eating other problematic foods.

Addressed to every necessary detail.

Again... this thread is not a succeed/fail entity; it's not a graded school assignment, and doesn't follow any rubric or standard. It does what it's meant to do by simply existing. There's nothing I'd change about it, and no excuse that needs to be made.

Edited by treefase93

Well for starters, who cares that your skin is clear if your insides look like crap from all of the garbage you're pumping into it? I'd rather have a few zits than a clogged artery.

Secondly, an anti-red meat diet isn't likely to positively affect the majority of acne sufferers. They will have to maintain a much healthier diet and avoid other foods to maintain clarity. You may simply have personal problems digesting red meat. Most people, however, do not. That, and it could simply be that you're eating red meats pumped full of hormones and antibiotics.

It's not that we don't want to be convinced - it's simply that you're not convincing us. If you don't want to put effort into providing adequate proof in your post - why should we waste our time reading it? The point is that desperation shouldn't drive people to stupidity. Blindly following something just because it "might work" can be pointless or foolish. Why try something that has no merit?

hrm. Chunkylard, was the first part of your post to me? I am uncertain - if it was, my post was directed at the OP. I would certainly agree that beef is real food. As far as pesticides, herbicides and GMO's, well I'm with ya there too.

I was trying to urge treesfase to eat more unprocessed, natural foods. And I don't mean 'all natural' cheesy poofs, I mean broccoli. etc.

Edited by ayla

Wow dude, you must be pretty screwed up internally if red meat causes you to break out so badly.

Gluten can potentially be a gut irritant, which can lead to your gut not being able to properly digest red meat, go gluten, dairy free for about 30 days, then introduce beef.

Anyway dude, I want to be the first to say CONGRATULATIONS for clearing your acne, whether people agree with how and what you did...who cares. As long as your clear.

I also eat a ton on processed food, it's hard to eat healthy when krispy kreme, kit kat, snickers, ice cream, pizza's...etc... are so damn nice.

Damn you must miss cheese burgers and Big Mac's.

Secondly, an anti-red meat diet isn't likely to positively affect the majority of acne sufferers. They will have to maintain a much healthier diet and avoid other foods to maintain clarity. You may simply have personal problems digesting red meat. Most people, however, do not. That, and it could simply be that you're eating red meats pumped full of hormones and antibiotics.

It's not that we don't want to be convinced - it's simply that you're not convincing us. If you don't want to put effort into providing adequate proof in your post - why should we waste our time reading it? The point is that desperation shouldn't drive people to stupidity. Blindly following something just because it "might work" can be pointless or foolish. Why try something that has no merit?

Agreed and agreed. Although "stupidity" wasn't what I had in mind; this is a fairly simple dietary change that has worked VERY well for me. I'm going to continue to test it out for the next 2 months, but the contrast is so extreme, and only really compares to when I was eating vegan foods, that I do have a case of incorrigible faith in this diet.

Wow dude, you must be pretty screwed up internally if red meat causes you to break out so badly.

True that. But, eh, that's always been me. Up until I was about 14 years old, I only ate around 1200 (unhealthy) calories a day, and only had a bowel movement every 10-20 days. And anything my stepmom makes will give me (and no one else) gas and diarrhea; even her salads.

My gut sucks.

I was trying to urge treesfase to eat more unprocessed, natural foods. And I don't mean 'all natural' cheesy poofs, I mean broccoli. etc.

I definitely agree with that :P. But at the moment I'm enjoying my increased freedom with food. Donuts and a Sonic Java Chiller for breakfast yesterday morning; drinking a tall glass of whole milk right now. My skin looks a lot like the milk. I like it.

Once I start cutting weight (which will be when I hit 240 lbs.), I'll start going back to my old ways of 42 oz. green smoothies and 8 organic eggs per day.

I broke out the WORST on red meat, too. I later learned it is because red meat is the hardest to digest when it comes to stomach acid... and I had very little stomach acid.

Thanks ben, and yeah, buck, I used to be ultra-irregular. I once didn't have a bowel movement for the entire month of June when I was 14. Granted, I was borderline anorexic back then (6'3", 128 lbs.). The fact that I've hardly exercised, had a terrible diet, and received almost no sunlight for the past 5 years is probably the main reason I have these health problems.

would you say you had severe acne treefase? I have mild acne...I've never had a cyst or nodule. and I've also never had a problem with being irregular. do you think I should still try this? also has this decreased your oiliness at all? when was the last time you had meat and how is your skin doing now?

would you say you had severe acne treefase? I have mild acne...I've never had a cyst or nodule. and I've also never had a problem with being irregular. do you think I should still try this? also has this decreased your oiliness at all? when was the last time you had meat and how is your skin doing now?

At one point, namely at the beginning weeks of the New Year, my acne was severe; I was getting 5 or more cysts every week that were almost impossible to get rid of and I have scarring from. I still have a cyst plus cystic scarring under my eye that I need to drain every week (but it's not too noticeable) and one on my temple, both of which have been around for about 6 weeks. My acne, if you look in my gallery, was moderate to moderately severe last year, but I guess with maturity comes maturing problems. It was technically worse this year.

I don't know if it's decreased my oiliness since I stopped eating red meat at the end of January. It's definitely decreased my skin's inflammation and volatility, but I generally have dry skin, and since I'm not breaking out there's no reason for me to wash much; I only rinse my face for about 3 seconds in the shower, so it's oilier than usual.

I attached a picture from last week. Around half of the hyperpigmentation is from cysts (hyperpigmentation from normal acne doesn't last as long).

You might as well try cutting red meat for a little while. Some people are sensitive to it, and some people think they aren't. I don't necessarily know what type of person has a bad reaction to it, but I'm certain it wouldn't hurt and would probably allow you to diversify your protein sources; seafood and poultry are ideal protein sources anyway.

Hope that answers any questions.

Edited by treefase93

Btw dude, I just looked through your photos and without beeing too rude, your acne really was nothing. I understand though that people will always be more concious about their own acne compared to looking at others.

Btw dude, I just looked through your photos and without beeing too rude, your acne really was nothing. I understand though that people will always be more concious about their own acne compared to looking at others.

That was a year ago, bud.

I believe that pork is white meat instead of red. You should watch out on duck meat too.

I believe that pork is white meat instead of red. You should watch out on duck meat too.

It could be argued to be in the "red meats" category. Ham is usually red, and a lot of people write pig off as red meat due to how unhealthy it is. And it's still relatively hard to digest, as is duck meat.

Also, keep in mind that veal is also cow. Veal can be whiter than a pork chop though.

Edited by treefase93

Yes I agree!!

Red meat (pork and beef) is the ONLY food wich I know for sure triggers acne.

I'm not sure about dairy.

If I eat red meat I also have a geographic tongue rash.

Edited by Fab

Gluten can potentially be a gut irritant, which can lead to your gut not being able to properly digest red meat, go gluten, dairy free for about 30 days, then introduce beef.

Anyway dude, I want to be the first to say CONGRATULATIONS for clearing your acne, whether people agree with how and what you did...who cares. As long as your clear.

I also eat a ton on processed food, it's hard to eat healthy when krispy kreme, kit kat, snickers, ice cream, pizza's...etc... are so damn nice.

Damn you must miss cheese burgers and Big Mac's.

I'd rather the OP be healthy and have clear skin than just have clear skin.