Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OnTheSpot

Lips falling apart

My lips are splitting really badly and especially on the joins. I have read that nipple cream is good to prevent the joins splitting. Has anybody tried this? Is it potentially comedogenic?

Also can anybody recommend a good noncomedogenic lip balm etc that will not break me out

Walgreens sells the Chapstick brand of chapstick... It's easier to apply than the Aquafor tube and works well. Either way, you'll be reapplying it like crazy.

im not sure what to use on ur cracking but for lip balm jojoba oil can be used, its non comedogenic and everything. but other lip balms that are non comedogenic i would research online=] cuz im not sure of a good one.

I've found that applying a 10% hydrocortisone cream (I happened to have the walmart equate brand on hand) first with the Aquaphor over it made a huge improvement, i.e. pretty much back to normal. Been using this combo for a week and couldn't be happier!

As a disclaimer, I got the idea from the Dr. Dan's Cortibalm, which is the only lipbalm that incorporates hydrocortisone.

Good Luck!

Whatever you choose, make sure you use it regularly to not only fix the current problem but prevent future ones. And regarding the hydrocortisone, using it for too long (2-3 weeks and beyond) on regular skin will thin the skin. Using it on not only Accutane skin but Accutane lips (so, already super thin skin) isn't the best idea.

I used Hydrocortisone (Cortaid 10) on the corners of my mouth to heal the deep cracks from Accutane. It was a life saver!! I highly recommend it. My derm OKed it and I didn't have to use it that often, so I wasn't worried about the thinning-skin issue. I think I remember applying it twice a day for three days and that was all that was necessary to heal the existing cracks. Then I'd use it probably once a week when I could feel the corners getting dry and sticky, as a preventative measure. It always worked and my corners never cracked again for the remaining 3 months of my treatment. Also, about once a week, I would spread it on the rest of my lips, like chapstick, to help with the dryness that Aquaphor wasn't handling well enough.

I used Aquaphor during my treatment, and i loved it. I put it on all day, it has no taste, and I have heard of people using it as a face moisturizer so i don't think it breaks people out.

I tried out many chapsticks and nothing worked. Accutane dry lips are not like regular dry lips.

Good luck though!

I had this exact problem when I was on accutane. I used Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Swivel Stick and the problem was gone within 24 hours.

Edited by aak114

Aquaphor, no question about that. It has approximately 4-10X the active ingredient of most "chapstick" and has no taste, smell or color.

Once you use aquaphor, you will wonder what you did without it.

Edited by sandef
Aquaphor, no question about that. It has approximately 4-10X the active ingredient of most "chapstick" and has no taste, smell or color.

Once you use aquaphor, you will wonder what you did without it.

Aquafor is best for the lips, but I found that the Aquafor didn't do much good on the sides of the lip (where the top and bottom join), but maybe that's just me. I found the Aquafor good on the lips in general and the Palmer's swivel stick that I mentioned before best for the sides.