Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay, so a week and a half ago, my dermatologist prescribed this tretinoin cream which is suppose to clear any mild acne I have and smoothen out my skin.

I noticed however that one of the inactive ingredients is isopropyl myristate which is highly comedogenic. Can anyone provide me some insight as to why my dermatologist would prescribe me this if it can cause even more acne? Maybe I'm wrong, hopefully I am.

Ask for the gel. :) Very good observational skills and research you used there. Good job. :)

Ask for the gel. :) Very good observational skills and research you used there. Good job. :)

Haha, thanks! I would love to ask for the gel, but unfortunately, my insurance doesn't cover it. :|

The gel doesn't come in generic that your insurance might cover? Goodness. Sorry, I don't know any further suggestions.

Okay, so a week and a half ago, my dermatologist prescribed this tretinoin cream which is suppose to clear any mild acne I have and smoothen out my skin.

I noticed however that one of the inactive ingredients is isopropyl myristate which is highly comedogenic. Can anyone provide me some insight as to why my dermatologist would prescribe me this if it can cause even more acne? Maybe I'm wrong, hopefully I am.

Hmmm...I don't think the question why would your derm prescribe that to you with the comedogenic stuff in there, but why would the Tretinoin, a widely used acne combatant, be made with such stuff?

Is the gel more effective, anyway?

...why would the Tretinoin, a widely used acne combatant, be made with such stuff?

Aging, wrinkles, sun damage. :D

...why would the Tretinoin, a widely used acne combatant, be made with such stuff?

Aging, wrinkles, sun damage. :D

So I guess that means comedogenic stuff really only breaks acne-prone people out. Heh, normal skin people who want to get rid of wrinkles don't have to worry about that? :think:

Figures. :rolleyes:

But in any case, I never noticed Tretinoin causing me any bad breakouts, in fact it works the way its supposed to. I break out when I stop using it!

Hmm, I read on these forums that the isopropyl myristate is in such low concentration, on top of the fact that you only apply a pea sized amount, that it isn't as comedogenic as people say. I would imagine pure isopropyl myristate in 100 percent concentration would break you out horribly, but this isn't too bad I'm assuming. Maybe thats why my derm suggested it, but who knows.

I used a tretinoin cream for many months now that contained this ingredient. It hasn't affected me really, i'm clear most of the time. Before I suffered from comedonal and pretty moderate inflammatory acne.

I asked my dermatologist for the gel because I read that it helps with acne much better than the cream. However, she said she only prescribes it to her patients with severe acne and that the cream is great for long-term results (wrinkles, sun damage, acne scars). I had a slight breakout the first week - but my skin is perfectly clear now. I think my IB was much less severe than most because I have mild acne.