Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gbinct

20 year acne sufferer finally succombe to Accutane

I'm a 39 year old white male and I have suffered with acne since about the age of 16. From that age, up until my mid twenties, I was under the care of probably 7 different Dermatologists. One of those derms was actually the now acclaimed Dr. Nicholas Perricone. His treatment, at the time was very different than his approach to acne today. Only one of these doctors ever truly helped me, and that was with an aggressive cycle of antibiotics, and topicals. At the time I saw him, my acne was very cystic and severe, which left some scarring on both cheeks. I eventually had to be referred elsewhere, as my doctor became very ill with cancer, and passed away.

I became so fed up with the Dermatological community, due to constant and aggressive flare ups. My primary physician agreed to keep me on the antibiotic Minocycline because it kept my acne at bay so to speak. I would occasionally flare, but for the most part it was under control. Years, led to many years of constant antibiotic use. When my skin was in a clear stage, I would try to ween myself off of the Minocycline. Once off the antibiotic I would stay clear for sometimes a few weeks, and other times even a few months. My acne would ALWAYS return however, and usually return very aggressively and in a way that I would learn (through my own research) would resemble a gram negative folliculitis. That as I learned can happen as a result of long term antibiotic use.

After years of not seeing any Derm.... I gave in recently and saw a well known Doctor in Connecticut. I gave in because on my last attempt to quit Minocycline, my acne returned and my skin felt and looked absolutely horrible to me. Some cysts on my neck, my back was loaded with pimples, as well as a small area on my chest........ and even my underarms had a few cysts. My underarms, are you frigging kidding me?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

I am ingredient savvy, I'm sure most chronic acne sufferers are. To sit back in a chair hurt the cysts on the lower portion of my back (where I never EVER got acne), and my underarm hurt as well.

Weeks later, where I eventually got in to see the doctor, I had cleared a bit. My acne was not at all what one would deem as "severe." Within minutes of the visit, he suggested Accutane. I know all about the drug...have spent countless hundred hours reading and researching it through my 20's and 30's. I had to disclose my medical history to the doctor, and, as I am on antidepressants, I did not think Accutane was even an option. I expresed my hesitancy, and he stated no true link was made between the drug, and depression. I also was hesitant due to the drugs cost. I advised the doctor that I was currently out of work, and didn't have very good insurance. He stated the drug woud be available in its generic form. I agreed. I have had enough of this. 20 years + of dealing with acne and its affecting nearly every aspect of my life . Over the course of my life it has me pain, anguish, and angst. I have withdrawn from social functions, and even professional functions when my skin was bad.

After bloodwork ($200), I went to the pharmacy to hand in my script. $540.00!!!! With some help from a wonderful family member, I was able to get it, and I'm fortunate to know a wonderful pharmacist who advised there may be some assistance with the cost in future months. There is discount information online which I'm looking into.

I'm worried though. Side effects, side effects. Will my skin get worse before it gets better? Will it even get better? Will my acne return once I complete this? Will I lose my hair?

If ANYONE has any suggestions for me, I would hugely appreciate it. What to expect? Topical regime while on Accutane?

I hope this finally clears my skin, and clears it for good. I have spent thousands of dollars in my lifetime on prescriptions, topicals, naturopathic solutions, herbs, vitamins, Proactiv, Perricone, Murad, high end salon facials (which helped me when I was working and could afford it).

Let this be the end - finally. If not, maybe my skin will clear when I'm dead and gone.

I'm a 39 year old white male and I have suffered with acne since about the age of 16. From that age, up until my mid twenties, I was under the care of probably 7 different Dermatologists. One of those derms was actually the now acclaimed Dr. Nicholas Perricone. His treatment, at the time was very different than his approach to acne today. Only one of these doctors ever truly helped me, and that was with an aggressive cycle of antibiotics, and topicals. At the time I saw him, my acne was very cystic and severe, which left some scarring on both cheeks. I eventually had to be referred elsewhere, as my doctor became very ill with cancer, and passed away.

I became so fed up with the Dermatological community, due to constant and aggressive flare ups. My primary physician agreed to keep me on the antibiotic Minocycline because it kept my acne at bay so to speak. I would occasionally flare, but for the most part it was under control. Years, led to many years of constant antibiotic use. When my skin was in a clear stage, I would try to ween myself off of the Minocycline. Once off the antibiotic I would stay clear for sometimes a few weeks, and other times even a few months. My acne would ALWAYS return however, and usually return very aggressively and in a way that I would learn (through my own research) would resemble a gram negative folliculitis. That as I learned can happen as a result of long term antibiotic use.

After years of not seeing any Derm.... I gave in recently and saw a well known Doctor in Connecticut. I gave in because on my last attempt to quit Minocycline, my acne returned and my skin felt and looked absolutely horrible to me. Some cysts on my neck, my back was loaded with pimples, as well as a small area on my chest........ and even my underarms had a few cysts. My underarms, are you frigging kidding me?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

I am ingredient savvy, I'm sure most chronic acne sufferers are. To sit back in a chair hurt the cysts on the lower portion of my back (where I never EVER got acne), and my underarm hurt as well.

Weeks later, where I eventually got in to see the doctor, I had cleared a bit. My acne was not at all what one would deem as "severe." Within minutes of the visit, he suggested Accutane. I know all about the drug...have spent countless hundred hours reading and researching it through my 20's and 30's. I had to disclose my medical history to the doctor, and, as I am on antidepressants, I did not think Accutane was even an option. I expresed my hesitancy, and he stated no true link was made between the drug, and depression. I also was hesitant due to the drugs cost. I advised the doctor that I was currently out of work, and didn't have very good insurance. He stated the drug woud be available in its generic form. I agreed. I have had enough of this. 20 years + of dealing with acne and its affecting nearly every aspect of my life . Over the course of my life it has me pain, anguish, and angst. I have withdrawn from social functions, and even professional functions when my skin was bad.

After bloodwork ($200), I went to the pharmacy to hand in my script. $540.00!!!! With some help from a wonderful family member, I was able to get it, and I'm fortunate to know a wonderful pharmacist who advised there may be some assistance with the cost in future months. There is discount information online which I'm looking into.

I'm worried though. Side effects, side effects. Will my skin get worse before it gets better? Will it even get better? Will my acne return once I complete this? Will I lose my hair?

If ANYONE has any suggestions for me, I would hugely appreciate it. What to expect? Topical regime while on Accutane?

I hope this finally clears my skin, and clears it for good. I have spent thousands of dollars in my lifetime on prescriptions, topicals, naturopathic solutions, herbs, vitamins, Proactiv, Perricone, Murad, high end salon facials (which helped me when I was working and could afford it).

Let this be the end - finally. If not, maybe my skin will clear when I'm dead and gone.

I think accutane should work hang in there dont like the last part you put on your skin being clear when your dead and gone altho i must admitt i have thought the same a few years back when i had bad cystic acne but im a fighter and have fought it for 10 years now and i have largely won the battle what i did was take accutane at 60mgs a day the highest i got the doc to put me on lol i wanted 80mg a day nevertheless it did the trick but just for 2 years no cure altho for some people they never get acne agian its a gamble like in poker you risk for reward and what i mean by risk is the side effects of the accutane altho the depression thing really never bothered me cuz i felt down already from haveing bad skin so i said to myself the accutane should clear me up and make me happier so i glady took it about 3 years ago but like i said the acne came back altho a lot less then what i had so for those pimples i tried Avon professinol acne treatment which works good but yeh another thing i see in your post is that your paying a lot to get the tane and even blood work i had a cheap insurance that only paid the doctor visit and part of the tane so i had to pay blood work which i would get billed $70 each month and for the tane i went to good old walmart lol they have the lowest price i got the generic accutane claravis which was like $140 for a month supply of 40mg and 120 for the 20mg i got both to equal 60mg but i would pay like $200 for both cuz of the partial crappy insurance coverage after i got done with it i was left with jus scarring altho i already had scarring since i was about 17 so then i went in for fraxel which doesnt really work wish i hadnt spent the $1000 on that now almost a year later up until last december i bought a $30 jessners peel which u have to wait like 6 months after your done with the tane to do but yeh i got it online did just 3 coats for light peeling in december now this time like 5 days ago i went hardcore cuz if u want results u need to be agressive so i did 6 coats on my whole face and 9 coats on my cheeks which have the heavier scarring and i also sand my cheeks and temples with really fine grit paper after the peel i applied topical antibiotic bacitracin for 4 days now on my 5th day im letting my skin heal naturally with nothing on it just very light oil free moisturizer so now on finishing up my 5th day after the peel i see a 90 percent improvement in my scars i cant believe it i had fraxel done for a price of $1000 3 sessions scar areas only and this $30 purchase has achieved better results my final treatment i will be doing is applying pharmagel derma fade cream to help my skin heal and get it even color toned all in all i took the time to put this down cuz i think its the new regimen to get from bad acne and scars to one or two pimples and very little scarring try it and u will thank me in the future same with everyone that reads this it took me years in the making to get my skin smooth from having bad acne N bad scarring to now having 1 pimple and very very light scarring try it theres no regrets

what derm in CT do you use? i'm looking for a derm in CT who will prescribe me a 2nd round of Claravis without giving me the run-around. I'm willing to spend all my savings on it because I feel like I have no more options. I'm purchasing health insurance which should help a bit (cover 50% of the rx, but not the derm or the bloodwork).

what derm in CT do you use? i'm looking for a derm in CT who will prescribe me a 2nd round of Claravis without giving me the run-around. I'm willing to spend all my savings on it because I feel like I have no more options. I'm purchasing health insurance which should help a bit (cover 50% of the rx, but not the derm or the bloodwork).

I would defintely not take accutane it has almost ruined my life from horrible side effects I'm praying to Clmu lord and savior Jesus that I get better bit trust me life with acne is better than these horrible side effects

[quote name='gbinct' date='Feb 4 2011, 08:49 PM' post='3029971'

DOnt take it. The side effects have ruins my quality of life I pray to God every day he would he me and reverse the horrible effects it caused would take acne any day over what this has done

God bless lee

m a 39 year old white male and I have suffered with acne since about the age of 16. From that age, up until my mid twenties, I was under the care of probably 7 different Dermatologists. One of those derms was actually the now acclaimed Dr. Nicholas Perricone. His treatment, at the time was very different than his approach to acne today. Only one of these doctors ever truly helped me, and that was with an aggressive cycle of antibiotics, and topicals. At the time I saw him, my acne was very cystic and severe, which left some scarring on both cheeks. I eventually had to be referred elsewhere, as my doctor became very ill with cancer, and passed away.