Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brett

Why is it that whenever you shave....

You break out in the spots of which you shaved at?I barely ever shave, but when I do it, I notice I always breakout in those spots.

Why is that, and is there a way you can solve the problem?

your skin is getting aggitated by the razor, aggitated skin leads to breakouts, if your not already check out the regimen at acne.org and fine what Dan recommends for razors and shaving cream, i believe those aggitate your skin less

btw i changed to an electric razor and it seems to help, but not eliminate, the problem

btw i changed to an electric razor and it seems to help, but not eliminate, the problem

you might find disposible razers help, as you dont have to worry about bacteria etc (cos you throw them away after use,, duh!) , and mostly they only have a single blade which means less irritation (and less of a close shave) which helps dramaticly.

also i find shaving in down strokes, and after each stroke putting the razer under a running tap to clean it helps alot. (and helps against spreading bacteria)

although on the down side, you'r much more likely to massacare your face with a disposible! they do take a few shaves to get used to. lol first time i used one it looked like i'd got in a dissagrement with Jakie Chan or someone! but you soon get the hang of it.

theres many posts about shaving, and various tips, so just use the search thingy for more info. bb_wink.gif

i've found that shaving first, then washing your face after helps.

for some reason i always used to wash my face, then shave. later in the day i'd always develop 10s of tiny whiteheads... but now i've no problem. although i always put off shaving until i feel i look too tramp-like to go out in public.

(i'm a student though, so we're allowed the 'rough' look)

Just buy a gilette manual shaver. (very sharp and good) Shave with one complete stroke in one area and make sure the hair is soft from water and the shaving cream which makes the hair come off easily. Also use alcohol to clean the razor when your done. It's as simple as that.

there isnt anything wrong with using an electric razor is there?

i dont know why people are so against them, since i switched ive liked it more and found it much easier, i can shave on the run basically

you might find disposible razers help, as you dont have to worry about bacteria etc (cos you throw them away after use,, duh!) , and mostly they only have a single blade which means less irritation (and less of a close shave) which helps dramaticly.

also i find shaving in down strokes, and after each stroke putting the razer under a running tap to clean it helps alot. (and helps against spreading bacteria)

although on the down side, you'r much more likely to massacare your face with a disposible! they do take a few shaves to get used to. lol first time i used one it looked like i'd got in a dissagrement with Jakie Chan or someone! but you soon get the hang of it.

theres many posts about shaving, and various tips, so just use the search thingy for more info.  bb_wink.gif

the bottom of that felt like a disclaimer, making us verrry suspicious smile.gif

dont worry we suggest a variety of products all the time all over this entire forum

cough did i mention i love my cnc blackhead clearing scrub? cough sorry i think im getting a bit of a cold

Razor bumps are usually caused by ingrown hairs. The main culprit is razors that cut below the surface of the skin. Also, since manual razors take off the top layer of your skin as well, when this layer grows back ontop of the freshely cut hair this effect may increase ingrown hair count.

Simple solutions. Exfoliate after you shave, and use electric shavers that don't cut below the skin.

When I used to use disposables years ago, I found that they always caused me bumps and irritation. So I switched to electric. My first one was a Remmington tripple foil. I soon found foil type razors to cut too close to the surface and give me bumps. I switched to a norelco reflex action, a 3 circle all slot type. This improved things, but still irritating. Then to a norelco reflex action plus. Better yet, but bumps still prominent. Then I realized norelco shavers have a "lift and cut" system to lift the hairs then cut them, to get a closer shave. Obviously a no no if you are sensitive to ingrowns.

Someone pointed me to this webpage http://www.koshershaver.org/ that shows you how to remove the lifters from the norelco blades. After I did this, 90+% of my ingrowns seemed to go away on their own. I've started to use a glycolic face lotion as well afterwards to further help exfoliate.

Shaving daily with an electric helps too because it reduces the amount of time and strokes you spend in one area.

i agree with ccalder's post. follow that and you should be cool.

AN essential part of the shaving regimen people decide to skip is splashing your face with warm water before you shave. You can do this meanwhile taking a shower, then shave after (i use electric). The warm water softens the hair bristles and gives you a cleaner/closer/non-irritated shave.

ESSENTIAL mi amigo

well i tried a remington 3-circle electric shaver and it just ripped my neck apart. I mean, the level of irritation was incredible. Also i didnt get a very close shave and had to go over parts several times. btw, its a non-cheap good shaver. It says it takes 2 weeks or so for your skin to get used to using but i looked horrific! my neck was all red raw. I just couldnt stick with it.

shaving is a nightmare, i hate it! but i look like a TARD with facial hair, honestly, it does nothing for me.

Ive tried all the razors/shaving creams/gels but cant find any combo that doesnt at some stage irriate and cause redness and soreness.

one day, maybe i will find something that works.

I didnt seem to have any problems with shaving, but then i went on accutane where i got razor burn from hell. 2 and a half years on my neck skin still doesnt seemed to have regained its strength.

I'm so confused on who's advice to take.....

Do I use a electric razor then or what?

Help, because Im confused! huh.gif

Bump again...

Please people I need some answers.If I buy an electric razor will it stop this problem??

no garauntee...but it's worth a 30 day trial of a good razor from Target or Walmart. If you arent satisfied...return it.

ok brett.

I posted on this topic a while back, sharing my shaving hell.

Well i think ive finally found the answer to all my prayers. its in the form of TSS oil (total shaving solution oil)... its simply shaving oil. Absolutely everything ive tried before at some point irritates my skin to shit, to the point of having a rash, which often looks like a break out..

get the stuff from here :

http://www.totalshavingsolution.nu

check the testimonials for success stories.

Anyhow, as soon as you apply it, it seems to 'freeze' your skin. Kinda feels like you have a pack of ice pressed against your whole face, its kinda numbing which prob cuts down irritation. In fact ive had zero irritation from this. By far and away the best shaving prokduct ive ever used. google around for reviews

I use it with a gillette sensor (thinking of using sensor 3 blades now)

it might help

electric razors irritate my skin to all hell and i avoid at all costs. nothing worse than the mass red rash you get from your first electric shave.

First, wash your face with warm water and a gel wash. Next apply a shaving oil (not a gel). Then heat up the blade under very hot water, and if you like apply some shaving oil on the blades them selves. Only ever shave WITH the grain. Do many very small strokes. Each time put the blade under very hot water (this stops bacteria from spreading with the blade) putting it under hot water also makes it easier to shave the area. When youve fully shaved wash your face with warm water and an antibacterial wash. Then use a salycylic acid cleanser (NEVER use aftershave!!) followed by application of LOTS of bp to the areas that ive shaved to make sure I dont get any breakout, followed by application of a good moisturiser (such as urban rites face relief)

HERE'S WHAT NOOOOOOOOOOT TO DO:

I "thought" I could get rid of my shaving problem by waxing my face...perhaps, the most stupid action I have ever taken in my life, not to mention that it was also the most painful experience of my existence! bb_eusa_boohoo.gif

It's been 11 days since I had my facial hair waxed and my face is still replete with white heads and a moderate rash. At any rate, I had some success using a single blade disposable blade.

Finally, can anyone else elaborate on the occurrence of shaving bumps? How do we get rid of those?