Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NATASHA1983

How long until you see Spironalactone results?

After years of persistant hormonal acne, I was taking doxycycline for 2 years which made my face so perfect and clear. However, I now have built up a resistance and my doctor prescribed Spironalactone. I'm starting my fourth week now with no results. I just had my period and had a major outbreak. My derm told me Spiro takes about 2-3 months to work, but how long does it take for everyone else to see results? I'm so self conscious about how I look and it makes me embarrassed and depressed to be out in public. I used to be able to be make up free, but now I won't leave the house without it. If this doesn't work in the next few months, my derm told me Accutane is the next step as I don't respond to topicals and she said it needs to be control systermically by oral meds. I feel like I shouldn't be 27 and having acne. I'm desperate for clear skin!

ALso, my derm recommended going on Yaz as she said she sees the most results with it. I've been on it before and it didn't help. Ortho tricyclen lo is the only drug that reduced my acne, but in no way made it completely clear. What birth control pill has worked for others with spiro?

After years of persistant hormonal acne, I was taking doxycycline for 2 years which made my face so perfect and clear. However, I now have built up a resistance and my doctor prescribed Spironalactone. I'm starting my fourth week now with no results. I just had my period and had a major outbreak. My derm told me Spiro takes about 2-3 months to work, but how long does it take for everyone else to see results? I'm so self conscious about how I look and it makes me embarrassed and depressed to be out in public. I used to be able to be make up free, but now I won't leave the house without it. If this doesn't work in the next few months, my derm told me Accutane is the next step as I don't respond to topicals and she said it needs to be control systermically by oral meds. I feel like I shouldn't be 27 and having acne. I'm desperate for clear skin!

ALso, my derm recommended going on Yaz as she said she sees the most results with it. I've been on it before and it didn't help. Ortho tricyclen lo is the only drug that reduced my acne, but in no way made it completely clear. What birth control pill has worked for others with spiro?

I have a similar story as you. I was perfectly clear on doxy from age 18 until about age 24. I began to break-out right around the time of my period. It took me MONTHS to realize the pattern. Once I did I was put on Spiro. I have been on it for almost 6 weeks now. (Only 50mgs/ 100mgs 2 weeks before my period. ) I am having it increased on Monday. I DID experience some break-outs during my period, but definitely have noticed it was not as severe as prior non-Spiro months. I think you need to give it a few cycles, and have the dose increased to about 100-150mgs before you see complete results.

I have a similar story as you. I was perfectly clear on doxy from age 18 until about age 24. I began to break-out right around the time of my period. It took me MONTHS to realize the pattern. Once I did I was put on Spiro. I have been on it for almost 6 weeks now. (Only 50mgs/ 100mgs 2 weeks before my period. ) I am having it increased on Monday. I DID experience some break-outs during my period, but definitely have noticed it was not as severe as prior non-Spiro months. I think you need to give it a few cycles, and have the dose increased to about 100-150mgs before you see complete results.

Yes, spiro definitely takes time. It has taken its sweet time with me as well. I would say 3-4 months at least for 70% improvement. And then add on a couple more months for more improvement. :)

Hang in there.