Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey folks-

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with ultra severe dry skin over 100% of their body (literally from the top of my head to the bottom of feet). This is coupled with moderate/severe acne and seborrhea over my face, scalp, shoulders, chest, back, upper arms, etc.

Recently I have been developing widespread vitiligo and severe patches of psoriasis as well.

I have spent the last 16 years of my life trying to conquer my skin problems but until this point it has been completely futile. I have been to close to 30 doctors of all different kinds and they have all been completely baffled by this condition. I have not experience even a tiny bit of improvement during my entire battle with this.

I have spent each and every day over these 16 years trying to battle this (I also have some extensive and deep scarring from the acne as well) so there is not much that I haven't experimented with.

I have tested literally hundreds of supplements, herbs, nutriceuticals, etc. Various diets I have tried are:

candida diet

gluten free

sugar free (all sugars including fruit)

100% grain free

dairy free

100% raw vegan

Juice fasting

water fasting (a 10 day and a 14 day fast)

I have tried all manner of digestive and systemic enzymes, nutritional oils (fish oil, flaxseed, evening primrose, borage, evening primrose, black currant seed, black seed), etc.

I have spent years using liver, kidney, colon, and lung cleansing herbs and supplements. I bought a infrared sauna.

I could go on and on and on for about 15 pages but that might get old...

Just wondering, by some massively slim chance, that someone might have experienced something similar to this and had something help them that I have not tried.

I am 30 years old now *moderator edit*

When anyone is feeling down about their situation, just think of me. Maybe that is my lot in life- to make people realize that they don't have things as bad as some other people. I have one of the most horrendous (physically, emotionally, mentally) disfiguring conditions that a human being could have.

Really hope somebody can help.

Holly shizzle nips. That is deep. *moderator edit* I strongly believe people like us, who live through a deep suffering, bloom out to be the most beautiful and lucky of all. Change your thoughts and you will change your life.

Believe. Regards to what can help you. Man, seems like you have shot a bullet at every target. Just going to throw out what I would suggest, you tell me if you've tried it or what.

Diet- Drink 2 cups of tea morning and night. Green smoothie right after your morning tea and right before your night tea. Through the day, 3 salads a day, with extra EV Olive Oil, Hemp Oil, Coconut Oil. Try blueberries in your smoothies. Eat a bowl of Quinoa with berries. Lean Turkey/Chicken steam cooked with lots of onions, garlic, and peppers. Top that off with EV olive oil, hemp oil, again. Then have a salmon salad, red salmon if ya can, mix that with a salad and the oils listed.

Supplements- 1000mg Coconut Oil, Some kind of Fish Oil, Vitamin E, probiotic, Zinc.

Run every other day and break a good sweat. 1-4 miles. Sleep well. Wear sunscreen.

That's what I can think of.

I dont have much to add since Im just starting out myself with the whole diet thing, but I hope you get through this. Ive had vitiligo for about 2 years aswell. Thankfully it hasn't spread much yet(although there's prob some patches hiding under my scars lol) and im fairly pale so it's hard to notice(or so im told, i can notice it quite easily). Anyway, dont give up :)

Hey, thanks for the encouraging words. *moderator edit*

My desperation has reached an extreme.

I've tried all those supplements and oils. And you basically just described a large portion of my diet.

Any type of sweating DESTROYS my skin even worse. It is usually bright red and massively swollen and inflamed for days afterward.

My entire body is WHITE with dead dry skin. I am so dehydrated and chapped that it is painful just moving around. It is hard for me to even open my mouth to eat, talk, or smile because my face is so tight and burning in pain. The extreme burning pain is out of control. And when I do, a cascading shower of dead skin fall from my face.

My humiliation is beyond what almost anyone can imagine. If this continues, I will have never had a girlfriend, a career, or a life. I haven't yet and I likely never will.

And then you have the severe acne and the extensive disfiguring facial scarring that I have sustained.

There is such a thing as an incurable condition. We hate to admit that as humans because it makes us feel helpless, but the fact remains- many many conditions are incurable.

I've actually been battling this for so long, that I don't even believe that it can be helped anymore. Maybe some part of me does, or else I wouldn't be on this site. Mostly though, I don't think that there is any hope of this condition even improving. It's been too long and I've tried too much to think that this can be helped.

Scarcrash, I'm so sorry to hear all of this. I know how you feel, even though I don't think my situation was as bad from the sounds of it, but it still got me very depressed. I started to get acne from 11 years old (and it just got worse as I got older, I'm using birth control to control it, but I'm going to be switching around soon so things could get ugly), had stretch marks appear on my thighs for no apparent reason (no weight loss or gain, they just decided to show up one day) which are not going anywhere fast, and eczema and folliculitis bouts wherever it feels like showng up. For years, my legs were scarred from eczema and I had folliculits all over my back. Then, in 2003 I broke out all over in guttate psoriasis which got infected. That managed to clear up (and thankfully took the folliculitis with it) but it returned the next year and the next, and I still get patches on my face, neck, elbows and scalp for most of the year. I still get folliculitis on my legs on occasion and they tend to take a very lng time to heal.

Of course, like you, the ongoing battles had me feeling very, very down. I was crying every chance I got and I scrutinised everyone else's skin ad cursed them for not suffering as I did; for not realising how lucky they were. I became obsessed with diet and supplements, and although they helped to strengthen my immune system in the end, they didnt do much for my skin as a whole.

I finally went to the doctor about the depression, and if one thing really started to get me on track it wastaking anti-depressants. They helped to hinder the cycle of self- loathing and stress that only made things worse, and I started to break free.

So what I'm saying is, I know how frustrated and hopeless you feel but please, please please don't give up! It sounds like you really need some emotional support, the downward spiral you're in is very understandable. Please get to your doctor and start some emotional healing and you physical body should follow. *moderator edit*

Oh dear :comfort:

I am so sorry life is so hard right now. I can't pretend to know if it will get better or not, but dum spiro, spero - while I breathe I hope.

Perhaps you are allergic to water? Or something in the water? I'm sure you've tried different cleansers, no cleansers... not showering at all?

My heart goes out to you - please, please, please keep seeking help, keep trying. Don't give up.

:wub:

Edited by ayla

Hi scarcrash!

I am very sorry to hear that you are having a very hard time, but please check with a counselor on this issue. Information about professional assistance can be found here:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/resources...lai-t16184.html

I have edited out all content that contained ideals that are not encouraged on these boards, so people still have an opportunity to offer you suggestions and advice. Otherwise I would have had to close this thread, I think that wouldn't have helped you in any way.

I agree with the other posters: don't give up. Take care!

Have you been tested for autoimmune disorders including scleroderma? The tight, dry, flaky skin sounds a bit suspicious of scleroderma. Do go see an immunologist, please.

Edit: I'm sure you already have. You have my sympathy, I wish I could help you. BUT do consider counseling, too, as that can help overcome things that can't even be conceived of sometimes.

Edited by Wynne

I think this is good news. It's a form of detox. I know how it feels. When you're on a diet for some time and your skin gets worse... it's very depressing. That's why I used to binge because I would get so depressed from my skin getting worse after eating well. It takes experience and patience. I'm starting to see results now. Honestly, I don't even crave junk food any more. I thought I'd NEVER say this.

Also, try manuka honey. It's a savior. Thehoper told me about it. Actually, I got a lot of good tips from him. HAVE FAITH!

gOOD LUCK!

Wow, this is out of my depth - but other than getting tested for autoimmune diseases.. I just don't know what to say. :(

Just brainstorming:

Severe sun/UV sensitivity? Have you tried isolating yourself from sunlight for a small period of time (with supplemental vitamin D, of course).

I'm sure you've already tried this, but a shower filter?

Another thing you've probably already done... blend oatmeal to a fine powder and mix as much as you want into your bathwater... homemade colloidal oatmeal! Really soothing and moisturizing :D

Good luck! If nothing else, you will find a supportive community here.

Honestly I don't agree with the editing. We are all grown people here, we can handle it. I'd liked to have known his response. That's a shame.

Anyway, glad to have helped ya recoverme! I LOVE manuka honey! To the OP, I have a strong belief in balancing the pH of skin in order for normal functioning skin. That's why I ditched all OTC products and everything man made, and went natural. Manuka Honey with Hemp Oil. It's great!

And yeah if ya haven't got a shower filter, GET ONE! I had super dry skin for years, and found out it was because of the chlorine in the shower, guess I'm really sensitive to it. I would get out of the shower and my face would be covered in flakes, I was like..damn. Got a shower filter at Lowes for 25 bucks, have bought 3 since, it's a must for me or I won't take a shower.

There has to be a cure somewhere. Your not helpless. There is some doctor that would know what to do, and there is SOMETHING going on with you that can be fixed. I would just do everything to naturally moisturize my skin, don't ever use a moisturizer, I have a STRONG grudge against them. Like I said I had dry skin for a while, and moisturizers just always made it worse. I changed my dry skin through diet and that shower filter. I also make sure to drink a gallon of water every day.

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. Running the gauntlet of traditional doctors, supplements and alternative treatments with little relief must be incredibly frustrating.

Have you tried acupuncture for balancing your immune system?

When I think dry skin, I think thyroid issues, low calcium/magnesium, or lack of high-quality animal fat in diet, but I'm not sure if any of those can lead to symptoms as severe as you're describing. When you said your sweat irritates the crap out of your skin, that makes it sound like your sebum is abnormally inflammatory, possibly due to a fatty acid imbalance, though the fact that supplements didn't help you is odd. How's your gut health?

Guest fugleee_dumbBUNNY

wow thats rly awful .__. like u already did the main things that there pretty much arent anything left to even suggest to o_0 maybe theres something wrong in your dna? i mean since whatever we do, still huge role and what determines how everything works is in our dna, so..was there anything like this in your family before? :/

wow...maybe try a lactic acid product with a ph of 4? nothing higher or it won't help

or try something with niacinamide?

or for more immediate results try a ceramide cream....like cetaphil restoraderm, cerave pm, or osmotics extreme barrier repair....

aw im sorry :(

that is NOT your lot in life! you will defeat this. HAVE HOPE!!!!! i may be a skin barrier disruption ....stay away from soaps....

try using yogurt on your body....

HHM DON'T GIVE UP!! WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER

Edited by Cubed

Hi, im so sorry for what you've had to deal with for so many years. From this thread it looks like you have a lot of support here....so i hope you don't feel all alone. I dont know what your spiritual beliefs are but i know for me my faith has given me strength and kept me going. I am just saying that praying has made me feel better and maybe it could make you feel better and give you strength to deal with your problems. You have a lot of determination and that is a good quality.....im glad to see you havent given up. Whenever you feel alone just look at this thread and remember that all these people on this thread care about what happens to you and your situation. Unfortunately, i cant offer any new advice but i just wanted you to know my heart goes out to you. Reading your story i realize how i am so ungrateful sometimes for all the good things i have. I have some scarring but really my scarring could be worse but its not . There are people out there who have real problems like you and i just want to let you know that you have taught me something valuable. You should feel good that just by posting your problems you probably changed some peoples outlook on their life. I agree with the others, you should seek counselling.... a new mind set can change everything. You seem very brave, honest and determined qualities that are hard to find in others and you have all three....be proud of who you are inside. I hope you find a cure to your skin problems.......good luck.