Acne.org
Jschuster207

Is jojoba oil antibacterial?

Posted

Can jojoba oil kill the acne causing bacteria? I've read that it has antibacterial properties on websites such as livestrong, but I am hesitant to believe it. Does anybody have anymore information?

Posted

Sorry for digging up an old post, but I am also reading about this. Just Google 'jojoba oil antibacterial' and you will find tons of info. I just started using this stuff and it almost seems too good to be true. I just put like 2-4 drops with my CeraVe moisturizer and it works great.

Posted

Breaks me and others out, so I'd say no. It doesn't break out some people though.

Posted

It works like a charm for me. Is amazing to my skin, and definitely doesn't break me out - guess it all depends, eh.

Posted (edited)

Jojoba oil is an anti-fungal, and as far as we know, doesn't exhibit any anti-bacterial effects. (that is, no studies have been conducted analyzing its effects as an anti-bacterial agent).

Edited by nomit

Posted

For an antibacterial oil, the best is definitely Tea Tree Oil.

Posted

I've tried several times to use jojoba, but it breaks me out too. i asked my esthetician about it, and she said she didn't care for jojoba in face products, even though it has many other uses.

Posted

I know this question is old but I found it while researching Jojoba oil. I've heard many times that Jojoba has a similar chemical structure to that of our body's own sebum (the oil on our faces) Because of the similarities, jojoba is said to trick the skim into thinking its produced enough sebum therefore stopping the production of excess sebum. It also is said to have both antibacterial and anti fungal properties. So if you suffer from acne or folliculitis it should help. A lot of people report break outs however I recently read (thejojobaoil.com) that when 1st used, jojiba will cause the skin to "purge", meaning it will draw out dirt and oil that is clogging the pores. Becaise of this it may seem to cause break outs, but some say after that initial purge, it will have amazing effects and clear the skin. I'm not sure, I'm testing this out right now. I like that idea that it naturally draws dirt/bacteria out. Most natural remedies take longer to work then harsh chemicals, but in the case of my skin and face I'm willing to be patient. 

Posted

Just find more information about the benefits of jojoba oil in this website: http://www.beskinhost.com/top-5-best-jojoba-oil-products
It seems that jojoba oil can regulate excess sebum. I don't recommend jojoba oil for acne-prone skin. I think thick oils are more suitable for mature skin.