Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jamesgarney

On The Regimen for 3 years--new moisturizer gives me flakes!

Hey everybody,

Quick post here. I've been on the regimen for about 3 years, and it's going great. But ever since Dan switched to that new moisturizer, it's been almost impossible to eliminate some flakiness around my chin/mouth. No matter how much I moisturize, use jojoba, do the "jojoba rub" that the pinned post suggests, nothing works.

Does anyone out there have a problem with flakiness and can recommend me a better moisturizer? Thanks in advance.

James

Have you been using it very generously? 3 pumps?

If it just isn't working out for you try Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. It almost always takes care of dryness.

Yeah, I've tried everything at this point. I've used 3 pumps, 4 pumps, with a little jojoba, with a lot of jojoba, no jojoba, layering jojoba on first then putting on moisturizer, etc. I always seem to have a few flakes or, if I don't, I might just rub my chin on accident, or smile too big, and a few form. It's made me really self-conscious so much I run to the mirror every 2 hours or so just to make sure nothing has flaked-up (and even if it has, I can't do anything about it usually!).

I'll try Cetaphil and see how that works. Thanks Brandy!

Same story with me - on the regimen for ages, new moisturizer, flakiness. I also switched to Cetaphil but found it really shiny and greasy. I was used to the shininess because the old acne.org moisturizer was also shiny, but Cetaphil was so greasy and tacky my face actually stuck to the pillow at night. It didn't deal with flakiness 100% either (hopefully it will for you).

I'm now using a 'Simple' moisturizer off the shelf here in the UK, with jojoba oil added at night. It's been a week and I'd say the flakiness is slowly getting better. I'm going to give it time because I'm running out of options!

Have you been using it very generously? 3 pumps?

If it just isn't working out for you try Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. It almost always takes care of dryness.

I am having the same problem as the OP and I'm thinking of trying out the Cetaphil lotion. Should we use Cetaphil with Jojoba oil?

I am having the same problem as the OP and I'm thinking of trying out the Cetaphil lotion. Should we use Cetaphil with Jojoba oil?

I use Cetaphil instead of the new moisturizer, as I also suffered for flakes for a good month. I am using less BP now than I used to, but I only need to use a nickel-sized amount of cetaphil moisturizer with 1 drop of Jojoba Oil morning and night and it has worked great. It can get a bit shiny after a few hours but I just blot the shine off with a tissue so it's not a big deal for me.

Cheers.

Update from OP:

So I switched to Cetaphil about a week ago. I know it hasn't been long enough to really see if things will improve, but I'm not a fan so far. The Cetaphil makes the skin around my mouth/chin very red and scaly-feeling. I have seen an improvement with the flakes, but it burns and irritates so much that it's not worth the trade-off. I was thinking it might be a combination of the new moisturizer + leftover BP, so I even went once/day on the regimen for a few days, hoping that it would allow my skin more to heal between applications (it would burn even with just BP, which hasn't happened in over 18 months!). But, alas, it was all to no avail.

In lieu of using Cetaphil for a few more weeks to see if my body adjusts, I ordered the CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion and I'm going to try that. The reviews I read seemed to say that it was very calming and went on very easily. On the other hand, I'm not sure if it will help cure the flakes! Either way, I might use Dan's moisturizer at night to get some of that soothing licochalcone in the hopes of reducing redness.

Thanks for all the help so far. I'll update after I try CeraVe.