Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Started Proactiv a week ago. I'm broken out at the current moment with 3 zits that are considerably large and don't seem to be fading. Supposedly, as my aesthetician says, it is just my skin purging itself fromn the microdermabrasion, since it is exposing a new layer of skin.

The microdermabrasion doesn't seem to be showing any results. While the color of the scars are fading, the actual scars have not changed in texture and are still just as obvious even with makeup. This wasn't the miracle treatment I was hoping for. I am going in for my third treatment on Wednesday.

I am not seeing any noticable results with this Proactiv! But I guess patience is key... i have this huge zit on my right cheek and it hasnt gone away, as well as one semi-active one on the left that's been there for TWO WEEKS and is still noticable. I can't believe this... after all that time it hasn't gone away. It seems like the microdermabrasion is just making my skin more horrible and irritated. I hope I can do a glycolic peel as well seeing as that these scars aren't fading at all. Even after I've cleared up all active acne I still have red spots all over my effing face so what's the use. I'm so sick and tired of it.

I'm just like you. I'm trying so hard so I can get rid of the acne, which usually never happens and I'm still left with red marks which is just as bad except I can't get rid of mine. mad.gif

jeremy:

If you have scarring, look into the IPL treatment from Lumenis (same company that makes Clearlight).

http://www.aesthetic.lumenis.com/wt/content/clearlight

My daughter had fairly deep scars, and using the IPL it stimulates collagen beneath the scar, causing it to fill in. The dermatologist said that dermabrasion will not reduce scars effectively, but we never tried it. There is a similar treatment called Cool Touch 2 which cools the skin (to avoid burning) using a cooling gas. The IPL treatment uses a gel to cover the face and diffuse the heat from the laser.

The clearlight treatment also cleared her acne when nothing else worked (see other links in this forum on clearlight).

Well... I just got back from my third microdermabrasion treatment. ARGHHHHHHH my skin is sensitive and the aesthetician can't put it on a high setting without it hurting me really bad... so now my SENSITIVE SKIN is actually interfering with MY RESULTS.... my results apprently wont be as drastic because my microdermabrasion can't be as rough. Ahh this is making me so mad. Next week I go in for a glycolic peel and then microderm, which is gonna wreak havoc on my "sensitive skin".

So far I have not been seeing any results with my scarring and hyperpigmentation, and its been nearly a month. But on the upside, I ahve cleared up all active acne. Who knows for how long though. dry.gifdry.gif

I was on Proactiv for like a year, and it never ever got better. Infact alot of times my skin just got worse. I don't know why I stuck wit it for so long, maybe I was just hoping it would eventually kick in...but it never did.

Yeah I know what you mean baout waiting for something to kick in, I always think it just needs a little more time, but I'm usually wrong. Proactiv SEEMS to be working at the current moment, but it could just be clearing due to microdermbarasion.

Joy! I have just realized that I completely jinxed myself when i said i had "finally cleared up all my active acne." Needless to say, I was wrong. I suffered from a bad breakout on my left cheek the other day. Now I am just starting to feel hopless, because school is starting in a little less than 2 weeks and my goal to be clear by that time is definitely not going to be achieved. I think I'm just going to start shopping for a good foundations so I can just hide everything.

I cant wait for my next treatment, because I can do the peel. Apparently I should see results after this coming treatment, and I really hope that happens.

Nothing seems to be working. Im so frustarted. I'm thinking of dropping Proactiv and just trying Dan's regimen, which will probably end up being cheaper in the long run. It seems to work for everybody else.

Okay I think that about now I've given enough Proactiv enough time to "work it's magic" and it hasn't. I have THE HUGEST ZIT right underneath my eye area and it's totally unsightly. Did Proactiv help to combat it in the first place, reduce current inflammation or help it heal? NOT IN THE LEAST. I'm having such a bad breakout that tonight I passed up on going out. I knew I shouldn't have done it but I at least want to wait for it to heal a bit.

All tommrow is going to be downtime since I am going for my 4th microdermabrasion appointment where I will hopefully get my glycolic peel. Does anyone know if glycolic peels actually help fade scars, or is it just an extra, more abarasive exfoliant like I have found microdermabrasion to be?

The oddest thing of all this is that Proactiv USED to work for me, but ever since I went on the pill it doesn't. I am doing everything in my power to solve this problem and I am making no progress whatsoever.

Yeah when used proactiv, it just prevented breakouts, but when a zit came up, that reparing lotion didnt do jack. Worked for me for about 8 months but than started getting A LOT of cysts (which really really really sucks). Started Dan's regimen a month ago and now im almost clear, not to mention I save a whole lot more money every month.

i tried proactive too, burned the bloody hell outta my skin and did nothing for my acne, it was WAY too harsh, so needless to say i didnt stick with it for very long at all. i think the systems completely played up by the infomercials, the results they show are only the ones that are successful, but there are also plently of people out there who have no luck at all with it. so if you arent satisfied with it over a certain amount of time, consider trying something else, possibly dermatologist prescribed, and you may find its more effective.

proactive sucks. wouldnt reccommend it to anyone!!! except maybe my worst enemy with bad acne..no jk. i used it for a year and no results. stop your order!!!!

OKAY. so much to update on.

Proactiv... NO MORE. way too expensive and doesn't do jack. well okay maybe if i wasn't using it I'd be worse but proactiv CLAIMS to make users completely clear withhin 60 days or money back. and its been 60 days.... and no results.

the thing is with proactiv, it combines ingredients together that you couldn't find together in the drugstore... for instance, allantoin, which is supposed to build collagen(hence the claim that proactiv fades and erases scars)and glycolic acid, which is also supposed to resurface the skin. So maybe this works for someone, but not for me. i noticed in the time that I have been using proactiv, my marks seem to have gotten REDDER if anything. so i dont reccomend it for anyone who has skin with a tendency to hyperpigment.

MOST IMPORTANTLY... i finshed my 5 sessions of microderm.... and im just SO happy... i see NO results!!!! NONE!!! and even the aesthetician noticed and said "well...uh... some people require more treatments." So my final word on microdermabrasion.... its good if you have extremely minimal, extremely shallow scarring. unless youre planning to pay an arm and a leg for 10 consecutive treatments, don't shell out the cash unless you're just looking for more radiant skin. it isnt the way to go for scarring or acne elimination. maybe the machine that was used on me was faulty, but i seriously did not see results.

i disagree I have used proactiv for over two years now and it is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I think it depends on the persons skin and the severety of the acne. I know SO many people who use it and it works for but them I know a few people who say it didnt work. The one thing i noticed when I was on it was that you had to do it just like it said twice a day, and not use anything else that could over make your skin more sensitive. But in my opinion if you give it 2 months and you see improvement thats hopes enough for me and anyone else.

well i'm sorry you disagree, but i suppose proactiv is just not the thing for me. i suppose some of my lack of success can be contributed to the fact that I go through long drawn out in between stages of proactiv where i don't get my freakin shipment for FOREVER. no matter how little i could possibly use with it still being effective, i always run out of all three products before my next shipment arrives. the in between stages just make me break out tons because my face adpats to proactiv and nothing else. the whole two month shipment thing... not for me.

let me give ANYONE considering microderm a LITTLE useful advice... if you have anything beyond EXTREMELY MILD, barely even VISIBLE acne scarring or red marks.... DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON MICRODERM. It gives a small amount of results, but they are one's you could easily achieve with other prducts used to smooth scars and plump the skin's collagen. As for my red marks, since microdermbarsion they have become MORE HIGHLY PIGMENTED then they previously were... which results in me having to wear more face makeup. All in all, please, everybody, microderm may make some very glamorous claims but really, it only works for the lucky few people that have little or no flaws.

I STILL HAVENT GOTTEN my freakin shipment of proactiv. this is horrible. ive been out of everything for nearly two weeks now. im sick and tired of waiting... and my skin is paying dearly for it!!!

I was on Proactiv for like a year, and it never ever got better. Infact alot of times my skin just got worse. I don't know why I stuck wit it for so long, maybe I was just hoping it would eventually kick in...but it never did.

Sorry that Microdermabrasion didn't help you at all. It was my freaking savior. My derm took me off all of my drugs because they were making my skin "sensitive" and hooked me up with cheap micro appnts. ($80). After five I couldn't wait to go back. While I still have scars and occasional acne, it is all way better.