Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
*ShiningStar*

HELP! I need a GENTLE cleanser and I can't use Cetaphil or anything with SLS or SLES.

I've been using Cetaphil for awhile, and it does NOT break me out, BUT from the first time I used it, it always seemed to give me a burning sensation when I washed my face. Initially, the burning sensation did not leave me with reddened skin, but the burning sensation only occurred around my mouth and eyes. I also attributed the burning sensation to the use of Retin A, but now I KNOW it's the SLS in the Cetaphil cleanser that is causing this. Also, I have developed a rash around my mouth (laugh lines and upper chin) that is dry, flaky and RED. Sometimes there are small red bumps, but they ARE NOT pimples. Believe me, I have enough pimple experience to know he difference.

Again, initially I blamed the Retin A, but through an exhaustive elmination trial, I've finally realized it's the Cetaphil. Moreover, I googled Cetaphil and learned that this is a COMMON experience for those sensitive to SLS.

So the bottom line is I can't use it, but I DO need an alternative. I've looked a Purpose and Basis, but those too have the SLS. Any other ideas?

I did a board search on this subject, but I didn't see any answers.

My skin is extremely sensitive and dry. HELP, please. I contacted my Derm and told her about the issue I was having and she completely dismissed me, saying Cetaphil can be used by all, including babies. I KNOW this is not true, but the bottom line is that she didn't offer me an alternative. What about Dove, Olay, anything? I don't know where to turn.

The rash looks like Perioral Dermatitis, which it probably is due to location and the fact the SLS is affiliated with Perioral Dermatitis. Here's an image.

post-133111-1292337558_thumb.jpg

Mine isn't as severe, but the location and presentation are identical.

So I did a little google search, but I'm ignorant when it comes to accessing the ingredients (other than avoiding SLS).

Anyone know anything about Ponds Cold Cream cleansers, here are the ingredients:

Water, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Isopropyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteth 20, Triethanolamine, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Carbomer, Fragrance (Parfum), Methylparaben, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, PEG 4 Laurate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Butylene Glycol, Cucumis Sativa (Cucumber) Fruit Extract (Cucumber)

post-133111-1292337558_thumb.jpg

Edited by *ShiningStar*

Aveeno Ultra Calming foaming Cleanser. It's so gentle,I didn't even to change cleansers during accutane.

Another good one,if you don't like parabens, is Kiss My Face Start Up cleanser.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I just talked to my derms office and they are telling me to use Aquanil. This DOES contain sodium laureth sulfate, but is supposedly not as aggitating as it's counterpart. We'll see. I also have an appt. Thurs, so I will update just in case anyone else will benefit.

Most importantly - Cetaphil is NOT for everyone. If you start using ANY product on your face that burns or stings, STOP using it. It doesn't mean "it's working" it means your skin HATES it. Cleansers, moisturizers, toners, etc. should always feel soothing. Cetaphil burned me from the beginning, but I didn't develop the dermatitis for awhile. I should have trusted my gut, and now I have deal with the mess.