Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vincent168

Accutane Scarring

I am not sure if I should go on accutane. I have heard stories about people getting lots of scars on Accutane, is this due to the initial breakout or random acne that appear during the treatment? Is it rare to get acne during treatment? Do all people who get acne during treatment get scars?

Thanks for the help

Yea, so if I do happen to get acne (initial break out?) Would that cause scarring?

Basically, if I would get scarring when getting acne on accutane I wouldn't touch it..

Also, I don't pop my acne at all, although when washing my face I may accidently wipe off the whiteheads.

Edited by vincent168

accutane slows down and in general messes with the skin's healing process, which is why so many people complain about getting worse scars on accutane. this has definitely happened to me. but the way i see it, if accutane is ultimately going to be the only treatment that permanently gets rid of acne, youre better off biting the bullet and then finding cosmetic procedures (laser, fillers or topical retinoids) to deal with the scars after. and if youre lucky, you may not get the scarring at all... and if you aren't.. well, its kindof a necessary evil if no other treatments have worked for you.

Thank you so much for the help!

Well i had bad acne

But then i ended up with lumpish scars near my jaw, when i never had spots there before

So it caused random scaring for me anyway.

don't let scarring scare you. I am almost done with my 6th (and final) month of accutane and it gave me bad scars but my derm says she will put me on Tazorac Gel for the scars to fade AND to keep the progress Accutane has done with me to keep working. So you should ask you're derm about Tazorac if it is a big deal for you

My Derm 'tested' some extractions of whiteheads of my face while I was in my 3rd month of Claravis. I can say that, for me, I didn't have any scarring as a result of extractions because they were done correctly and I was given explicit instructions on aftercare.

He then extracted my remaining whiteheads at the start of my 4th month since I had good results-those have also healed without scars.

As far as the ones I tried to pop on my own in the past...... :P

Btw, what type of scars are you guys referring to and what type of acne?

I suspect people getting scars from accutane are those that would get scars anyway and as the acne is gone, they start to realise the indentations are prominent perhaps?

I suspect people getting scars from accutane are those that would get scars anyway and as the acne is gone, they start to realise the indentations are prominent perhaps?

I can honestly say that my pimples were hiding all sorts of indentations from past cysts that are still fresh in my mind. It looks like I have rolling scars on my lower cheeks which is bumming me out like crazy-but you can't stop the scarring until you stop the cause of the scarring :/

Guest Timehealsall
accutane slows down and in general messes with the skin's healing process, which is why so many people complain about getting worse scars on accutane. this has definitely happened to me. but the way i see it, if accutane is ultimately going to be the only treatment that permanently gets rid of acne, youre better off biting the bullet and then finding cosmetic procedures (laser, fillers or topical retinoids) to deal with the scars after. and if youre lucky, you may not get the scarring at all... and if you aren't.. well, its kindof a necessary evil if no other treatments have worked for you.

what if you use a product (benzoyl peroxide) that gets rid of pimples pretty fast, but it doesnt prevent them 100 percent?

basically, wud you go on accutane if your 60-70 % clear from a product? BTW my acne does scar.. so yeah...

I can honestly say that my pimples were hiding all sorts of indentations from past cysts that are still fresh in my mind. It looks like I have rolling scars on my lower cheeks which is bumming me out like crazy-but you can't stop the scarring until you stop the cause of the scarring :/

the part and thing that scares me most about accutane is what if the scars i get on accutane are going to be way worse than what i would have gotten if i never went on accutane?

what if you use a product (benzoyl peroxide) that gets rid of pimples pretty fast, but it doesnt prevent them 100 percent?

basically, wud you go on accutane if your 60-70 % clear from a product? BTW my acne does scar.. so yeah...

the part and thing that scares me most about accutane is what if the scars i get on accutane are going to be way worse than what i would have gotten if i never went on accutane?

I can say that I havent gotten any new scars-but everyone is different. My scars from before were worse than I even realized because the active acne was hiding them. If I get the acne under control I can then focus on treating the old scars-which will probably be expensive. I have heard that after accutane some people's scars fade/even out-but again everyone is different. Only time will tell. For me personally, I'd rather have scarring than a bunch of cysts/whiteheads PLUS scarring :)

My acne never scarred unless I picked at it, UNTIL I went on accutane. The accutane caused the smallest little pimples to leave red marks. From my experience, the scars do go away, I've been using chamomile tea directly on my face and that's made a huge difference in lightening the scars post-accutane.

I have finished Accutane and have visible scarring left on my face. This has upset me too, but I agree with other posts. This scarring was probably there already and is now likely more prominent without the acne covering it up.