Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KimiaK

Accutane Diary + Pics (Finished Course...now for the Post Accutane!)

If you only want to see pictures, go to page 3!

I'm 28 years old. I never had any serious problems with Acne. I used to get cysts on my back, but it was easy to hide it and every summer the sun would simply get rid of them. It never bothered me that much.

2 years ago, I started getting pimples here and there on my face. The first couple months I thought it was irritating but shrugged it off. Then it became more persistent and I found myself always having a couple zits here and there. Around my period this would increase. Also my face is SUPER oily and I wanted to get rid of that.

My sister had huge acne problems and went on Accutane. She had awesome result. The skin to this day, 4 years after having been on Accutane, is flawless, so I decided to go on the medicine.

It's been almost 2 months of me being on Accutane.

Week 1 -2 : my skin seemed to clear up a little bit. The oil was greatly reduced by the end of the second week so I was hopeful. I still got zits, but lesser than before.

Week 3-4: I got huge break outs. Before Accutane when I had a couple zits, if they were bad and bumpy I would pop them. It would leave a scar but the scar would go away quickly. Well, huge mistake. I popped my zits and the scar were SO much WORSE than when I wasn't on the medicine.

Week 4-5: Face looked like a battle field. Horrible small and big zits. Cycsts and getting 5-6 new pimples every single day. I can not go out without heavy make up anymore. When I wash my face and see the damage, I become so depressed and it all looks so unreal. I never thought it could get this bad.

Week 5-6: I completely stopped touching my face and have not popped any zits. This seems to help but every zit leaves an ugly scar whether I pop it or not.. I took a picture of my face and had nightmares about how it looks. The zits today look smaller and dry out way way faster than normal. But there's no use if one dries and another 3 appear the next day.

The worst part of all this was that my sister's face cleared up after a week of being on Accutane and she never broke out. So that was my expectation when I started. Had I known that it would be this bad, I would have reconsidered.

I'm keeping my hopes up and hoping that this passes and my face heals. Really worried about my skin right about now :(

Will update again soon.

Edited by KimiaK

Oh man, that must really suck especially to have a sister who had such a good reaction. Just remember when you're done how it will feel to not have to worry about your face, not have to worry about making plans because you're worried your'e going to break out, this WILL change your life!

Ok, a couple things:

My skin looks remarkably better today for some reason. No new zits. This hasn't happened in 2 months! I'm very hopeful. I am not touching my face at all though, so this may have helped quite a bit.

Since the second week of Accutane and since the oil on my face went away, people tend to comment on the 'glow' I have and that my skin looks really good minus the scars!

If you are worried about drinking on Accuntane, dont be...well unless you are an alcoholic. I drink a glass or two of wine almost every night and have never had any problems with it. I get my liver tests and all, and my liver according to my doctor looks like I've never even consumed a drink in my life time! Everything in moderation I guess. I barely ever binge drink or take hard alcohol.

One thing though, I have found that when I drink the third glass on the weekend, I am absolutely blacked out, puking or dizzy as hell. My tolerance used to be higher than this. 3 glasses would get me drunk but not sick as eff!

I wouldn't recommend doing drugs on this though.. well except weed. If you do coke, you might really damage your nose cause it's already dried out and bleeding.. you just dont want to damage the skin inside while on Accutane. Other drugs may really harm the liver.

Edited by KimiaK

hi

it sounds like we are having some of the same problems. Im nearing the end of month two and my face has also felt like a battle field. Its bad. but i will check your log from time to time and see how you're doin.

good luck!

Thanks for the support guys. Really hope I get through this and smile when I look at my face in the mirror :)

Kaduh: Good luck to you too. We'll get through this! haha

day 64 (week 9): So I got my monthly gift yesterday and my face broke out like crazy again. 5 new ones :( May have also been due to the fact that I went for hot yoga and the humidity kind of brings out all the zits that are hiding underneath.. I thought the IB was almost over,but apparently not.

It's so depressing. I'm supposed to go out for dinner with 2 guys this week; both I am interested in. I'm about to cancel with both because I just dont feel good sitting in front of them and have them look at my zits. I'm not used to it :(

Worse, another friend is flying over from the US to stay for 5 days with me and that's gotta be the most uncomfortable situation, cause it's not one night; it's every single day for 5 days!!! Ahhhh.

Hope everyone else is feeling better than I am!

Edited by KimiaK

Oh man I so understand what you mean. I've cancelled on SO many guys because of my face. That's the reason I actually got on accutane to begin with. I got sick of missing out on dating and social situations because of my skin! It WILL get better!

Day 66, Week 9

So I guess my face is getting a little better now that the monthly gift is coming to an end. I got one small white head today and nothing else, so keeping my hopes up. I was so desperate I went to the doctor to ask for anti-biotics a couple days ago and got the Mono-Cyc prescription. Then I go to the pharmacist and she freaked out saying that it the worst thing you can take while you are on the medication. No antibiotics whatsoever! It can literally kill you! I hate acne like nothing else in life, but I wont let it take my life away!

My friend is coming from the US to visit me for 5 days on Friday. Last time I saw him was over summer, on vacation and under the sun. My skin looked so good then. I wonder what he'll think now. Worse, I hooked up with him over summer, so I'll be extra uncomfortable this time. FML.

Nothing else to report.. really hoping that I clear up this time and don't have to go through another break-out. It's been more than a couple months already. Oh Accutane please save me :)

Day 69 (Week 10ish)

OK, I think it is the beginning of the end!!!!

No break outs in two days. I did get a few pimples a few days back for my period but they seemed small and very very dry. It is nothing compared to how bumpy, greasy and disgusting they were before. I still have scars on my face, but I can just feel the IB or whatever it was going away for good! I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but this is an improvement I have not seen in almost 2.5 months!

I am very very happy and sincerely hope that it doesn't come back. I upped my dose to 40mgs yesterday. I feel like my head's heavy and I feel tired, but nothing beyond that. Hopefully it's not effing my system too much.

Here's to hoping!

So sad to hear that you canceled your dates..! Hope you are rescheduling :P See that as a test. If the guy accepts you even if you have pimples, maybe it will indicate the beginning of a really beautiful and deep relationship! You don't want a guy to like you for your face, but for who you are! But I guess it's not that easy :P

Really happy for you that your skin is doing better!

Yay happy to hear the IB is ending. And some antiobiotics are okay, just make sure you get the script from your DERMATOLOGIST who knows which ones to pair with Accutane and which ones not to. I would trust your derm more than your pharmacist because your derm is more familiar with accutane :)

But it sounds like you don't really need it now anyway :D

Oh it's going I guess... I dont have anymore big huge pimples, but woke up this morning to tons of little under-the-skin stuff. Just effing gross. Everyday I say I'm losing patience. .and the next day I find out, wow, I sure have an effing lot of patience to continue with this. I'm half way through the treatment. 2.5 months is a long time to be depressed over this sh!t.

I have my guest from the US here still. It's so embarrassing.. I dim the lights at my place so he doesnt have to see my face that much. I now have dreams about acne popping out every morning. I have dreams of trying to get people not to see my face. I haven't noticed people starting at my face because they are distracted with Acne, so I guess that's good; but I know how much make up my skin is under and how it looks when I wash it. It's not pretty.. specially the marks that are left.

Ughh.. don't need to sound so depressed but honestly I am so tired of this. So tired :(

Hope you guys are doing better than me. Accutane is such a tease... you never know when it's over until it's over.

I'd try taking the antibiotics hun... they really do help. And you can stop them if you feel any "funnyness" going on....

And you DO have a lot of patience, and determination. You can do this. Some people don't start clearing til month 4 or 5 but they have AMAZING results at the end. This is ALL worth it and at this point you might as well keep going because you've invested so much time! Just hang in there a little bit longer. And try the AB's!

You know, I'd love to but this drug (Accutane) is quite severe on my body and putting more drugs such as antibiotics inside of me just doesn't feel right. The effects may not show up until later in life, and as much as I would love to be acne free ASAP, I don't want to have brain injury, etc because I wasnt patient enough.

I know it's a lose/lose situation but I am risking more by taking antibiotics. What kind are you taking? have you felt any bad side effects?

I'm on Bactrim at the moment because Doxy & Mono stopped working on me a while back. And yeah antibiotics have always had bad side effects on me (nausea, itchiness, other weird stuff) but stop as soon as I stop taking them. And I guess I'd rather be nauseous but able to leave the house and hang out with friends then be too embarrased about my acne to venture out of the house.

Believe me, I do understand how you feel about accutane being so harsh on your system as it is. I was originally started on 60mg/day + Bactrim and I couldn't take it so I dropped down to 30mg every other day + Bactrim and worked my way up to 40mg as it is right now and a lot of my side effects have gotten WAY better.

Yea I'm seeing my doctor this Thursday and will ask if there is a 'safe' antibiotic out there. I also upped my dose a few days back, so this break out may be due to that.. you never know though, there's always a 'reason', damn it!

You never know if it's the food you ate...the alcohol you drank...your period, etc. You never know! And how did the pores clogged themselves at first? This is ridiculous :P I'm wishing you good luck and just tell yourself you don't have much time left until you are completely clear. It's not like you were only at end of month 1!

Edited by Heine

Day 86, Week 12?

OK, I know I haven't updated in a while. I figured, every time I wrote here that I was getting better, the next day I would wake up for new lovely ones... so I said I'll wait a couple of weeks to see how the condition will be so that I'll be more persistent. You still never know with Accutane though.

So I got so fed up and depressed with Acne that I went to the doctor and begged her to help me somehow. She asked me to stop Accutane for 1 week and instead take Bactrim until the Acne subsides... and then I could resume Accutane. She said the Accutane is getting stored in the body so one week of not taking it would not make a difference.

This has really really helped. The Antibiotics started working very quickly and my Acne was reduced greatly. I have a couple tiny tiny ones.. the ones that you know would otherwise be huge and disgusting.

After a week I started taking Accutane again and still kept on taking Bactrim. I took liver tests pretty much every other day because I was so worried about the drug interactions. Everything has come back OK, so I'm gonna stick to this for another week.

Accutane and the Acne were really taking a toll. I have actually lost weight because of all the stress and depression my Acne had caused; and we're talking about the Holidays' weight loss. Not an easy task!

Skin is not perfect by any means, but a lot smoother and I find myself at so much peace. It is such a good feeling.

I think I'd take Born to Run's side on trying antibiotics to avoid the horrible horrible IB some may have. It's not for everyone though.. so to each their own!

Today marks the end of my month 3!!!

It's gone painfully slow and at the same time pretty fast! I've got 3 more months to go. God please make it go faster!

Progress wise, again, skin is not nearly perfect but has gotten much better as far as the break outs go. Smaller in size and less in numbers. I got my monthly gift today as well, and only have one active. This compared to the 5 or 6 BIG ones I got last month is good news. I'll take it. I hope next month this time, I'll be Acne free. That would be such an awesome feeling.

Red marks and scabs are still very visible and rampant, but nothing make up can not fix. I just want clear and pure skin without spending so much time trying to MAKE my skin look like it's ok. All in time I guess.

I will post pictures soon. I haven't yet since it just depressed me more.. I have been tracking my progress on my camera though.

Hope everyone is having a good day!