Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tk13

I am going to dermaroll

I am going to begin dermarolling within the next few months. Please give me feedback and suggestions if anyone has any. I need to improve my skin in order to improve my quality of life and it is time to really start taking some steps. I would appreciate any help and support I can get along the way and will be more than happy to update you guys with my results.

Here is my plan:

1. Pick back up with chemical peels that I was doing in order to clean my skin out a bit more and better prepare it for a treatment that is a bit more aggressive (i.e. dermarolling). I will do a series of glycolic acid peels starting this sunday with a 50% peel. I will then increase to 70% one month from the first and continue with a few more months of 70% glycolic peels. I will have some comedones extracted in order to smooth my skin as much as possible before needling.

2. Begin taking some supplements to help improve skin health. I am thinking of starting with vitamin E, Fish Oil, and a multivitamin. Any other recommendations?

3. Buy a dermaroller and begin rolling a few times each week (3 to 4) when I feel good and done with chemical peels. I will use 0.5 mm needles as i cant afford really any downtime. I may increase needle length if I deem necessary. I am thinking that I may continue the chemical peels in conjunction with dermarolling but am not sure if that is a good idea. Any thoughts?

4. Try to figure out a good skin care regimen to use while dermarolling .. this is where i need some advice.

My main questions for you guys (aside from the one above about using chemical peels in conjuction with dermarolling a few times each week with 0.5 mm needles) are

1. what topicals should i use while dermarolling. I currently use tretinoin 0.05% and would like to continue with it. I have heard that copper peptide are supposed to work well in conjunction with dermarolling and am wondering if anyone thinks they will work better than the retin-a I am currently using. Should I use vitamin C cream also? Is there anyone out there who has done dermarolling and used retin-a at the same time bc i do like my retin-a lol. I am willing to try new things, but always a bit skeptical and sometimes apprehensive. Any suggestions would be great.

Don't do it. That is all, I'm not gonna go into details.

Wow, that's really helpful. Seriously dude, that's just a form of trolling.

In a way I guess it is lol. But I am pretty sure you can dig up plenty of my posts regarding the subject, I am just tired of explaining why. But seriously common sense, something like a bunch of needles rolling around puncturing holes around scars and healthy skin, is not the answer.

All the people who believe that there are people who leave negative comments, let me say that it is not be negative, is that perhaps, already passed through these treatments and not did well, and simply that better than a bad experience as to warn another?

There are to be realistic and if a user was wrong, it is good to warn others of the danger that may have to make such treatment.

For my part i agree with the warnings, the bad experiences of other i used to think twice before making a treatment.

Remember boys, be realistic is not to be negative. the worst of the sins is the optimism without looking with clarity.

There are to be realistic and if a user was wrong, it is good to warn others of the danger that may have to make such treatment.

But that's not what he was doing was it. He simply said 'don't do it' and even added that he wouldn't even elaborate. It's not helpful in the least.

To the OP, yes it works for many people. The question is, will it work for you. The only way to find that out is trial and error. Start with smaller needles and work your way up. I use a combination of the following -

1.5mm dermaroller/derma stamp

Red/infrared LED lights (sometimes yellow as well if I can be bothered)

And some expensive topicals including Terproline Professional and I will be using a serum which incorporates Stem Cell technology for my next treatment. I've done one treatment so far with 1.5mm needles and some of my shallow scars seem to have disappeared. Whether it will work for the deeper scars is still a question mark.

hey guys thanks for the replies ... i was beginning to think noone wanted to talk to me about this lol. I am sorry to the poster for which this did not work and I intend to take a look at your profile to hear about your experience with it. Thanks for giving the heads up though. No need to explain what you have gone through if it is already posted on this board .. I will take a look.

I really do not understand the use of the different lights. I suppose they are somehow supposed to help induce collagen production .. I wonder if that actually works though .. or if it is just a waste of money. Liquid Ocelot, could you explain to me the benefits of the different wavelengths of light .. be it blue, yellow, or red. I was under the impression that blue light was supposed to kill acne bacteria .. I actually tried it and it didnt work for me ... what about yellow and red .. what are the benefits of those?

The idea of dermarolling makes sense .. in fact it makes more sense to me than laser resurfacing. You are inducing skin damage .. which in essence could be bad .. however the skin has a pretty great capacity to heal and regenerate as we all know ... so by slightly damaging the skin (I consider using microneedles much less invasive than laser resurfacing) I think that overtime you really can sort of coax the skin to regenerate and improve skin imperfections (at least thats the idea). Procedures like fraxel restore make me a bit skeptical because of how severely the skin is damaged. It seems a better idea to me to gradually try to remodel your skin wit something like dermarolling as opposed to blasting your face with a laser and hoping that it regenerates that way .. the gradual process just seems way more safe to me so that is where I intend to start. I still will not begin rolling for a few more months and have not yet decided how I am going to go about it in terms of topicals and things. WTF is terproline lol? I am going to consult my dermatologist about all of this at the beginning of January.

Liquid Ocelot .. I wouldnt think that you would see any REAL results after only one treatment .. but I guess I havent tried it yet so what do i know haha. What was your downtime like with the 1.5 mm needles? I intend to start with 0.5 mm to play it safe and then work my way up as I get more comfortable with it. I wish you the best of luck with your treatment. Hopefully it works for both of us. PM me sometime if you want to talk more about it.

hey guys thanks for the replies ... i was beginning to think noone wanted to talk to me about this lol. I am sorry to the poster for which this did not work and I intend to take a look at your profile to hear about your experience with it. Thanks for giving the heads up though. No need to explain what you have gone through if it is already posted on this board .. I will take a look.

I really do not understand the use of the different lights. I suppose they are somehow supposed to help induce collagen production .. I wonder if that actually works though .. or if it is just a waste of money. Liquid Ocelot, could you explain to me the benefits of the different wavelengths of light .. be it blue, yellow, or red. I was under the impression that blue light was supposed to kill acne bacteria .. I actually tried it and it didnt work for me ... what about yellow and red .. what are the benefits of those?

The idea of dermarolling makes sense .. in fact it makes more sense to me than laser resurfacing. You are inducing skin damage .. which in essence could be bad .. however the skin has a pretty great capacity to heal and regenerate as we all know ... so by slightly damaging the skin (I consider using microneedles much less invasive than laser resurfacing) I think that overtime you really can sort of coax the skin to regenerate and improve skin imperfections (at least thats the idea). Procedures like fraxel restore make me a bit skeptical because of how severely the skin is damaged. It seems a better idea to me to gradually try to remodel your skin wit something like dermarolling as opposed to blasting your face with a laser and hoping that it regenerates that way .. the gradual process just seems way more safe to me so that is where I intend to start. I still will not begin rolling for a few more months and have not yet decided how I am going to go about it in terms of topicals and things. WTF is terproline lol? I am going to consult my dermatologist about all of this at the beginning of January.

Liquid Ocelot .. I wouldnt think that you would see any REAL results after only one treatment .. but I guess I havent tried it yet so what do i know haha. What was your downtime like with the 1.5 mm needles? I intend to start with 0.5 mm to play it safe and then work my way up as I get more comfortable with it. I wish you the best of luck with your treatment. Hopefully it works for both of us. PM me sometime if you want to talk more about it.

1. Google the benefits of using LED's, plenty of information out there. If money is an issue, I recommend you start with the red/infrared combination. That's all I use to be honest even though I have yellow/blue lights aswell. Red/infrared speeds healing, and yellow apparently increases collagen production.

2. Terproline Professional is a topical used mainly by burn victims but seems to work great also as a post-dermaroller treatment. You probably won't find it if you're in the US.

3. Like I said, it was only the shallow scars that greatly improved, some of them completely gone. And the general texture has also improved. I'm going to do another 4-5 treatments between now and september 2011. I expect my scars to be unnoticable by then.

Start with the 0.5mm if you want but if you're in a similar position to me you won't wanna waste anymore time. I used the 0.5mm once and jumped straight to the 1.5mm. I'm also not a big fan of the roller technique, i'm switching to stamps for my next treatment. A lot easier to target scars this way.

liquid, did rolling work well on small box cars, if you have/had any?

I have one large boxcar and no it hasn't responded yet. I don't expect it to from one treatment. Smaller ones should respond better and quicker.

I thought this was an old thread when I saw the "Don't do it. " post by Scars4Life and then the other by Maldition. You've posted that on many threads.

BTW, Maldition, noticed you've changed your name from Eterna maldicion, right? Does that mean you've seen some improvement as the 'curse is not eternal' anymore?

Seriously, let the guy try needling. It's given results to a lot of people. You guys were looking into applying Iodine and Kitocell for pitted scars; now c'mon, that's even a worse waste of time.

TK13, if you want to try needling you'll need to use 1.0mm or longer needles (1.5mm standard) to see some results.

I don't know if you meant using 0.5mm at the same as the peel, but that doesn't sound like a good idea.

How's the tretinoin working for you? Tretinoin is known to leave skin prone to scarring easily. So if that's the case, if you do needling or other harsh stuff you'll end up worse.

Edited by tj101

I've just got a 1.5mm roller, some moderate box scars on my cheek a few deeper ice pick scars which I don't expect so solve any time soon. I don't have anything in the way of topicals. All I do right now is cleanse and use this website's BP and it keeps the acne at bay. The guide book said to use hot water to sterilise it, and occasionally a proper steriliser fluid and to not soak it for long times. Use it 3-4 times a week and not press so hard that you start bleeding, and that it should last about 3 months if used in this way by which results should be seen.

Gonna try it over the weekend, see what happens. Just going commando with the roller and keeping everything clean, I don't have anything else :think:

:pray:

Maldition, noticed you've changed your name from Eterna maldicion, right? Does that mean you've seen some improvement as the 'curse is not eternal' anymore?

I'm eterna maldicion, that's right...and yes, maybe.

Edited by Maldition

using 1.5 mm three or four times a week seems pretty harsh. Also, i thought the point of the 1.5 mm needles was to penetrate more deeply (obviously it is lol) .. wouldnt you expect some bleeding with this needle length. I dont know how deep blood vessels typically lie in the skin but my guess is they are damn close to the surface .. going into the surface of your skin with a 1.5 mm needle seems like it would have to cause some bleeding.

meteor magic .. let us know how it goes this weekend . good luck! Be gentle for your first time .. you dont want to overdo it ... roll with care and caution until you get totally comfortable.

tj .. have you dermarolled?

using 1.5 mm three or four times a week seems pretty harsh. Also, i thought the point of the 1.5 mm needles was to penetrate more deeply (obviously it is lol) .. wouldnt you expect some bleeding with this needle length. I dont know how deep blood vessels typically lie in the skin but my guess is they are damn close to the surface .. going into the surface of your skin with a 1.5 mm needle seems like it would have to cause some bleeding.

You do it once a month with the longer needles, maybe even allow even more time between treatments.

And yes, there's pin point bleedling, that is expected.

Don't do it. That is all, I'm not gonna go into details.

:surprised:

Lol I know. Anyways, I used to roam around these forums back in the days, those of you who remember, and let me just tell you dont make the same mistakes I did, dont go through all these nosense cures that supposedly work like the dermaroller, which has more fabricated success stories than people reporting minor improvements. This dermarolling topic is too long to discuss, and I know some of you are very eager and anxious to do something about your disformities, but this anxiety can also cloud your judgement. You just need to ask yourself if you would ever dare roll your face with a dermaroller had your face been normal, probably not I would presume, you will be doing that to whatever patches of healthy skin your face still holds in a silly attempt to improve your scars. Needling may change the appearace of the scar, but thats all it does, it simply modifies and reshapes it's appearance, whether it turns out better or worse is all subjective. As I know I will not convince most if any of you (I know I've been in your shoes, we can be really stubborn and sensitive), then please at least take this advice if you are planning to proceed with needling, use the dermastamp which will isolate the needling to the scar, rather than using a dermaroller which will also affect all the healthy skin around it and worse peel off a chunk of skin while rolling, some of you just dont understand how dangerous this stuff is. Well thats it for now at least, I only wrote this cause someone expressed concern and wanted my view on this issue so Ta.

I am gonna go rant on some other threads.

and worse peel off a chunk of skin while rolling

If this actually happened then the issue is clearly with your own skin rather than the treatment. You must have a poor healing ability for your skin to come off in chunks from micro needles.

Did it yesterday evening. 1.5mm, didn't really hurt at all. So I thought I wasn't pressing down hard enough. Still didn't hurt much :P. What pain there was felt kinda good! Skin was definitely red afterwards, and there was one tiny speck of blood in one part...

Not doing anything special except for this, and taking multivitamins.

Question, is it ok to use (Dan's/Website) BP over dermarolled skin. I haven't yet, as you hear shit about free radicals and stuff. Don't want to make anything worse. I'm gonna let it "heal" before I start using BP on that area again. Fingers crossed no breakouts...

So far, not really sure if there's much of an improvement. It's still been less than 24 hours after my first roll though. Redness has all but gone.

It seems like my pores are bigger and my skin feels and looks abit more uneven right now. Especially near my nose (but not my nose) which is where the most annoying scarring/shallow/bad skin is.

Gonna be more aggressive next time.