Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rooo

Scarring and age (for those 22/23 or + years old)

Hi,

I`m 24 and a half years old and in the last 4 3-4 months I`ve noticed that some zits that would never lead me to scar, started leaving me scars. Thought a lot about what could be (i was on accutane on 2006, lately I`ve taken vitamin supplements, etc.) and now I think that may be age it a decisive factor. Below, I`m copy pasting some posts and replies from this boards that in my opinion are interesting:

Ariana, December 21st, 2005

"I have a similar thing happening right now. I used to not scar ever, but nowdays even though I almost never break out any more, I am seeing scars develop out of nowhere. I am also 23. Perhaps, this is the age point when elasting/collegen effects become noticable. It is scary to think about the future... "

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/scars-dev...hl=age+scarring

Denise2, October 21st, 2005

"I didn't scar until my late 20's/early 30's, and I started breaking out at age 11. I didn't have cystic acne, but it was moderate to severe....tons and tons of blackheads, whiteheads, and pustules."

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/scar-t706...hl=age+scarring

Lexy, October 22nd, 2005

"I've had some scars on my face since I was about 20yrs old, maybe 3-5 that didn't bother me at all and weren't noticeable at all. But about a year ago when I turned 24 I started scarring more even though I was breaking out less. Then after my smoothbeam in January all the scars became 5x more noticeable and I got new scars from a horrible breakout after a smoothbeam session. Now I have like 60 scars, just like that. It was very traumatizing to watch my face turn like that practically overnight."

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/scar-t706...hl=age+scarring

Heidiluv, October 27th, 2005

"yes, you absolutely scar more the older you get. same here, i have had so many over the years but i didn't start scarring til recently (early 30's)."

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/scar-t706...rring&st=20

LabGirl81, November 9th, 2005

"I've had mild acne as a young teenager, which cleared up when I was 13. I was pretty much clear until 17, when I developed adult acne (I was done with puberty at 13). I didn't have anything that scared until recently (I'm 24)."

ronRonnie, November 17th, 2005

"Hi, new to the board,

Well, I didn't scar until I was 23. I had breakouts since 16, and I would pop, squeeze, poke, etc. any and all zits. It wasn't until 23 that I got this BAD breakout and squeezed a couple. TOTAL scars! I believe the older we get, the more likely we are to scar. I'm 31 now, and even the thought of squeezing pimples is a sin in my mind. "

sandyg1, January 13rd, 2008

"I scare very easily. I never popped or squeezed my acne and I would still scare. I wasn't always prone to scarring though. It wasn't the acne in my teenage years that gave me the scars, it was the acne in my late 20's and 30's that scarred my face. Even though there was now way I would pop or squeeze, I would end up with a scar. I guess the collegen in my body started to slow down."

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/scar-easi...hl=age+scarring

QuirkyPixy, December 18th, 2009

"About a year ago I started noticing that I was getting some acne scars here and there. Now there is barely any "normal" skin left on my face (50+ shallow scars), and I'm still breaking out everywhere no matter what I try. Even the little pimples scar now, leaving dents with a radius wider than the pimples themselves.

I used to get huge painful pimples on my chin a few years ago but they never scarred, and now everything scars. Why does this happen? How can I make it stop? Accutane and antibiotics are not an option. I'm only 21."

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Sudden-pr...hl=age+scarring

Edited by Rooo

Guest Timehealsall

holy shit. I hope this is not whats happening to me..

Is there any thing we can take to improve collagen production? Any supplements or foods that we can take/eat?

Also, i do think accutane caused your scarring. You said you took vitamins? Care to name which ones you have taken?

I don`t know, but from 2006 (when I took accutane) to 2010 my skin healed perfectly

In this last year and a half I`ve been taking zinc for acne (from natural life) that is a vitamin supplement with zinc, vit. a, b6, c and don`t remember if sth else.

Each pill contained 500 UI of vit. a, I took 2 very day.

I don`t know.... but my point with this thread was that all those people healed fine and then at certain age their skin didn`t heal as well as before. And that maybe age is an important aspect in healing.

interesting... i used to pop and squeeze every zit with no scar and fast healing time... it wasnt until i turned 23 that i began scarring from my acne.. i take zinc, vitamin c & vitamin e, and i sometimes apply copper peptides because i heard they thicken the skin... and i also wear zinc based sunscreen everyday, and still sometimes scar from most pimples... its a shamee

Guest Timehealsall

do every single zit of your guys scar now? or just the big nasty ones

It might have something to do with declining levels of hyaluronic acid in the skin as we age. Just my uneducated guess...in my case, though, I'm pretty sure it's due to other health problems (thyroid, digestion).

Edited by QuirkyPixy

I didn't start scarring until I was 22. I guess for the reasons that are listed above.. But over time a few of my indented scars kind of filled in... I hope that continues...*knocks on wood*.

Well, it seems that maybe age has its importance and that there are cases where after 20 something years old skin starts to not respond as well as before.

I have noticed also that some pores have opened (they are enlarged pores, not scars) and if I´m not wrong collagen plays a role in maintaining pores closed. One of them opened after I had a sunbathe (I don´t know if maybe the cream of the sunscreen had sthg to do)

Anyone has noticed other things in their skin besides scars that may mean loss of collagen, elastin, etc?

Edited by Rooo

Retin-A and Accutane can cause that.

BTW, if you want excellent scar prevention for new lesions you can try a low dose of Topiramate, though that also can have other side effects. But if I were getting lots of scars I would take it.

Retin-A and Accutane can cause that.

BTW, if you want excellent scar prevention for new lesions you can try a low dose of Topiramate, though that also can have other side effects. But if I were getting lots of scars I would take it.

are there any articles on that?

i'm currently trying to research how diet effects how the skin produces new skin, and how it heals wounds. but i can't find any good articles. it's all shit and does not refer to official studies.

i scar easily and i am 18. i've been scarring ever since i started getting acne, so i was 12 or so. they all healed pretty well but when i hit 14 it was waaay worse (and i started getting shallow box like scars). i wonder if it's genetics (asian skin) or b/c i am not giving my skin enough materials (like vitamins, certain fats or proteins) it needs to heal wounds 100%

I actually have to agree with this, most (99%) of my scars happened just in the last year or so, i'm 24 btw. back when i was a teen, i had all sorts of severe acne, cysts, i pick them all the time (bad little habbit), they would eventually go away and the worst i got were some red marks which would gradually go away given time. but now its different, i get indented/rolling scar trophy from even the occasional pimple, its like my skin has "aged" or "damaged", texture not as smooth as before, not as eslastic as before, it just appeared "worn", not the baby skin i used to have, people used to comment on how my skin was so bright, so soft etc. shit this is depressing.

Edited by DaisyBoy