Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wicky

PCOS and d chiro inositol supplements

hi everyone, im a 43 female who has suffered from skin issues since i'm 13. I'm very interested in learning more about PCOS as from what I've read i have several of the symptoms. Increase in facial hair, bumps or lumps on my lower chin and jawline, severe and long lasting menstrual cycle. I've had an ablation last year to help with the heavy bleeding and it helped somewhat but didnt help the irregularity of my cycle. I also have rosacea and have just started taking saw palmetto as I've heard this can ward of a flush. I at first thought the cystic type bumps i would get were food related because it seemed every time i ate bread i would get one or two within several hours. Some weeks i wouldnt get any and then all of a sudden i break out with one or two or even three a day. I'm only taking the saw palmeto for a week so far and was wondering how soon people have seen results? Do you have an initial breakout with it as maybe this is what is happening right now.. I am also on 100mg a day of spironolatone and have seen a slight improvement in the oilyness of my skin. I would appreciate any thoughts as im practically starving myself to see what could possibly be doing this...thanks

I have the same issues.....and am trying to figure out what to do as well!

I subscribe to a PCOS newsletter and the same nutrient, diet and lifestyle habits I'm always recommending for acne, which is how all humans should eat and live for health, is what they recommend for PCOS sufferers.

What you want is a nutrient dense, anti-inflammatory, blood sugar stabilizing diet that doesn't consist of anything you have an intolerance for. And to sleep well with as natural a circadian cycle as possible and be physically active every day with the right kind of exercise.

To be anti-inflammatory, your habits have to

-keep your blood sugar stable (i.e. keep all meals/drinks/snacks low to moderate GL)

-contain more anti-inflammatory (omega 3 and anti-oxident rich foods i.e. plants and fish) than inflammatory foods (sugar and refined carbs and hydrogenated/trans fats are the biggest culprits, in other words, processed foods and almost all commercially prepared foods)

-and to not include anything you have an intolerance for. Which you have to figure out by elimination. The easiest way is to consume only hypo-allergenic foods for about a month and add foods back in gradually to watch for reactions/changes in how you feel.

More info: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...es-t230714.html

I have the same issues.....and am trying to figure out what to do as well!

I subscribe to a PCOS newsletter and the same nutrient, diet and lifestyle habits I'm always recommending for acne, which is how all humans should eat and live for health, is what they recommend for PCOS sufferers.

What you want is a nutrient dense, anti-inflammatory, blood sugar stabilizing diet that doesn't consist of anything you have an intolerance for. And to sleep well with as natural a circadian cycle as possible and be physically active every day with the right kind of exercise.

To be anti-inflammatory, your habits have to

-keep your blood sugar stable (i.e. keep all meals/drinks/snacks low to moderate GL)

-contain more anti-inflammatory (omega 3 and anti-oxident rich foods i.e. plants and fish) than inflammatory foods (sugar and refined carbs and hydrogenated/trans fats are the biggest culprits, in other words, processed foods and almost all commercially prepared foods)

-and to not include anything you have an intolerance for. Which you have to figure out by elimination. The easiest way is to consume only hypo-allergenic foods for about a month and add foods back in gradually to watch for reactions/changes in how you feel.

More info: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...es-t230714.html

Yeah I believe diet has a lot to do with hormonal acne as well...I have been drinking lots of water and eating at least 3 fruits a day...Its so hard to figure out what to eat though...I find myself being very indecisive about what to eat...Do you reccommend any foods?

Yeah I believe diet has a lot to do with hormonal acne as well...I have been drinking lots of water and eating at least 3 fruits a day...Its so hard to figure out what to eat though...I find myself being very indecisive about what to eat...Do you reccommend any foods?

Yes. Real, whole nutrient dense foods. Vegetables, fruit, fish, chicken, eggs, etc. And be careful with the fruit. Today's giant, super sweet fruits tend to have a high glycemic impact. Eat small portions and preferable with a meal that includes fat and protein to reduce the impact.

For those that didn't bother to click on the link I provided, I'll sum up by saying that insulin is a master hormone that stimulates the production and release of other hormones. Diet habits that spike blood sugar screw up your hormones.

Also, all kinds of bodily functions are timed by your wake/bright light exposure to dark/sleep cycle. Including hormones. Not sleeping regularly and not getting bright daylight exposure screws up your hormones.

There are also many nutrients that affect your hormones directly and through glucose metabolism, various bodily functions. Not getting these nutrients screws up your hormones.

Lifestyle habits like stress and physical activity affect your hormones.

And many other ways diet and lifestyle affect hormones and acne.

All of which is explained in the Good Things thread link I already provided but can also be found in my signature.

Also, click on the Food and Recipe thread pinned under important topics right there at the top of the forum for what to eat, recipes, etc.

Edited by alternativista