Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EaglesGirl

Reducing the amount of makeup

Since the end of July, I've been wearing more and more makeup. A week ago, my skin had gotten so dry and flaky, it was almost impossible to put it on (and it looked HORRIBLE on my skin!). So, now I've had it - I'm going to get used to wearing much less makeup!

So, three weeks ago, I was using 2x foundation, one layer of concealer and a finishing powder. This is a lot, yes, but it did cover up most of my acne.

A week ago, I changed it to foundation + concealer + powder. Not soon after, I found out that the powder is bad for dry skin, so I removed that as well.

Yesterday, I bought a new foundation. I'm going to use that and a tiny bit of concealer, if I'm feeling really bad. Today, I was only wearing this (lol, I was also wearing clothes ;)). It really made me feel "watched", constantly. Plus, I felt that some options was excluded, like talking with a guy, I don't know that well. I really hope I'm going to feel better, and that my acne will disappear completely (I don't have any active zits ATM, but I still have redness from them), so that I can use less BP, and therefore get less dry skin :). A bit confusing. But anyway, I'm hoping for some better confidence soon!

Cheers! :D

what kind of foundations did u use and what do u use now?? (the brands)

and for the flakiness u could try jojoba oil. im on accutane and my skin gets really dry but the jojoba helps and it helps me put my makeup on. i mix it into my moisturizer and apply it at night and in the morning.

what kind of foundations did u use and what do u use now?? (the brands)

and for the flakiness u could try jojoba oil. im on accutane and my skin gets really dry but the jojoba helps and it helps me put my makeup on. i mix it into my moisturizer and apply it at night and in the morning.

Before: "Pure.Liquid MINERAL breathable foundation" by maybelline

Now: "Dream SATIN liquid" air-whipped foundation also by maybelline

For the flakiness I'm using Emu Oil, but I don't have anything left :(. And it takes a few days before the next bottle arrives.

Have you noticed that the Maybelline foundations break you out? They ALWAYS have for me! The only thing I can use is Almay and Physician's Formula.

I'm trying to wear less make-up right now, too. Today, actually! I feel so naked and gross, but I know it's better for me.

Have you noticed that the Maybelline foundations break you out? They ALWAYS have for me! The only thing I can use is Almay and Physician's Formula.

I'm trying to wear less make-up right now, too. Today, actually! I feel so naked and gross, but I know it's better for me.

Actually, no. Or.. I don't know. I've worn makeup for such long time, that I don't know what breaks me out or what doesn't. But I haven't really had a breakout recently, so I hope it won't break me out, heh.

Woo, great! Lets get natural together, lol! But yeah, "naked" is a good word to use. Describes what I feel about it, too. Good luck! :D

Hi Annatar!

I've had dry skin all my life and now I'm on accutane, which is making it even drier! :wacko:

Anyway, I was so worried about the dryness that I've been moisturizing a lot, drinking more water, and taking fish oil and vitamin E. Seems to be helping a lot. :) I've also been using a little bit of emu oil, followed by a tinted moisturizer with spf, and then some foundation. The emu oil and the tinted moisturizer help reduce the redness and hydrate my skin and then I don't have to wear as much foundation. When I need more coverage I use liquid foundation and then a creamy foundation on top, but only on spots that need it...that way I don't have to cake it on as much.

Oh, and I totally get how you feel about being naked without makeup in public! I feel like I won't even leave my room without makeup since I have room mates!! Can't let them see all my awful red marks. :confused:

Someone shared this youtube video with me and it might help you too. :) Haven't tried using vichy dermablend yet, but it might be a good one to try. ;)

Hey everyone i just thought i would share me experiences with wearing less make up!

I have loved make up my entire life! I remember always trying to sneek a go with my grandmas lipstick and face powder hehe! I pretty much had normal teenage acne until i was about 17. Then i went to sixth form and i started getting really bad cystic acne on my lower cheeks. The leisons would stay for weeks all big and red and then the marks left afterwards took 3 years to fade and i still have some now (im 20.) I used to cover it up the best i could. I often looked ok in the artificial light in my bedroom..but if i caught a glimpse of myself outside in daylight it would bring me to tears.

I didnt have oily acne i had terribly dry acne which made it a nightmare to cover up. In fact, one day (after seeing my skin in daylight) i got so upset i started scraping at my face. I was distraught. I then thought....acne is a really hard issue to face but in the whole scheme of the world i have access to a warm home, a loving family, enough food and a fantastic education. I then started to think how i could turn my acne into a positive thing! So......i decided to give up make up! And i got sponsered by people at my college so i rasied loads of money for charity too!

When i took at step back and realised how much i let covering my acne take over my life it felt sooo cleansing and soothing to face the world makeupless! I have to admit the first few days were terrifying but i must admit people weren't shocked because they knew i had acne as they could still see the lumps and bumps when i covered it up anyway!

Going makeup free also helped my skin a lot and now i hardly EVER wear make up! I am proud of who i am and what i have. An i often embrace my natural beauty...ok i dont have nice skin but i like my eyes! and you might be suprised (as i was) that most people dont care about your skin but many many people notice a pair of beautiful eyes!

Sorry this is so long but seeing as makeup (or in my case now no makeup) is an issue close to my heart and i hope perhaps i could inspire more and more people to stand up for natural beauty!

Aleks :) xx

p.s. i dont mean to sound like i am on my high horse...i really do know from personal experience how soal destroying acne is...after all it was my desperation and anger over my acne which led me to take the journey i talked about in this post! I realise that it is extremely diffcult to go make up free but it really is liberating!

Thanks for your replies aleks and (-_-) :D. It really helped me!

Going to update now: This Saturday, I went to a movie-sleep-over-night-something with two of my friends. We were watching movies all night, made ourselves a delicious drink, were "dirty dancing" (we were only straight girls ;)), having a pillowfight and.. yeah.. We messed around a lot. And when I say "all night", I MEAN "all night" - we didn't sleep XD. I ended up not sleeping for 36 hours (I know it's unheathly as hell, but it's FUN). ANYWAY, I'm getting off topic! Since we were messing around that much, I KNEW that my makeup were going to get rubbed off. But I realised.. That I really didn't care. I didn't go check myself in a mirror and apply another layer of foundation. Plus, I had tied my hair back in a "tall ponytail". Last time I did that in puplic, was like, YEARS ago. It felt really, really, REALLY odd. But yeah, it's kinda obvious that I'm caring less and less about my makeup. I often ask myself "do I have to put this on?". I have the feeling it won't take long, before I completely remove it.

^ aww, that's great! = ) i think the answer to do i have to put this on is a definite no. no one has to put on makeup. it's all up to you and what makes you most comfortable.

^ aww, that's great! = ) i think the answer to do i have to put this on is a definite no. no one has to put on makeup. it's all up to you and what makes you most comfortable.

Yeah. But the problem is, that there are so many reasons to why I shouldn't wear makeup.. But it does make me feel more comfortable wearing it. But when I do wear it, it makes me uncomfortable thinking about the "bad things". Grrr!

Progress! My niece (who is 2 years younger than me) was visiting me yesterday and slept here till today. Aaand I didn't use makeup :D. It felt so odd! And I noticed that she, like, looked at my red marks now and then, when we were talking (we talked A LOT, so it wasn't than often, really). But, it could have been my teeth she looked at. She has braces ATM, and I got mine off a half year ago. So she could have been jealous of them ;).

Good luck! I think you'll thank yourself if you find a better foundation option. That maybelline mousse stuff kind of scares me! I once smeared some across my hand to test it, and I could not wash it off! Water just kept beading on top of it, and I really had to scrub. I can't imagine that would do anything but clog your pores.

I decided to stop wearing any foundation, and I only use a dab of concealer if I have a break out. You should give it a try, it's very liberating.

Good luck! I think you'll thank yourself if you find a better foundation option. That maybelline mousse stuff kind of scares me! I once smeared some across my hand to test it, and I could not wash it off! Water just kept beading on top of it, and I really had to scrub. I can't imagine that would do anything but clog your pores.

I decided to stop wearing any foundation, and I only use a dab of concealer if I have a break out. You should give it a try, it's very liberating.

I find it very easy to get it off, though. And I don't break out from it :b.

I can't really only use a dab of concealer, since I have waay too many red marks, lol. Besides, if I'm going to a sleep-over, it would be nice if they know how my skin looks like without makeup, so that I don't have to scare them, when I do my regimen, hehe.

I did it!!

I went to school without makeup :D! Okay, I did use a tiny bit, but it didn't make a difference. I think it was because my brain thinks: no makeup = insecurity/bad feelings + wrong kind of attention. It's amazing how makeup can change your behavior.. Actually, it's kind of scary :ninja: But anyway, I DID IT!

I have relied on makeup for so long I can't give it up now I think makeup along with stress and improper diet is what triggered my pimples in the first place..anyway I don't have pimples now but I hate my skin. I have discoloration, acne scars, uneven skin tone ..pih Spots .. So yah I hate going out without covering my flaws im already self conscious not wearing makeup will make it worse!!

I can't give up my sunblock and pressed powder. I can live without concealer, blusher and foundation. Also other makeup I can't give up: eyeliner, brow pencil, lipstick.

Edited by Bonbonique

Everyday Minerals is my savior in makeup. Flawless looking skin without the pore clogging or heavy makeup feeling.

I have relied on makeup for so long I can't give it up now I think makeup along with stress and improper diet is what triggered my pimples in the first place..anyway I don't have pimples now but I hate my skin. I have discoloration, acne scars, uneven skin tone ..pih Spots .. So yah I hate going out without covering my flaws im already self conscious not wearing makeup will make it worse!!

I can't give up my sunblock and pressed powder. I can live without concealer, blusher and foundation. Also other makeup I can't give up: eyeliner, brow pencil, lipstick.

I have the same as you. But mostly PIH spots and uneven skin tone. And a year ago, I couldn't live without my concealer, mascara and foundation. But thanks to the lovely people I spend my time with, I've build up enough courage and self-esteem (it's still VERY low, tho) to get rid of it.

I've been trying to wear less makeup too.

I just recently switched from my heavy coverage benefit concealer to a more lightweight MAC mineralize skin finish natural with a concealer brush to pat on the powder. It gave me a nice coverage and looked more natural when I wore it today.

I have the same as you. But mostly PIH spots and uneven skin tone. And a year ago, I couldn't live without my concealer, mascara and foundation. But thanks to the lovely people I spend my time with, I've build up enough courage and self-esteem (it's still VERY low, tho) to get rid of it.

Thats really great! Well when I'm around family members I don't wear makeup at all they know all my skin flaws and I obviously dont feel insecure when they see me with no makeup on..but around other people, even friends .. I just don't have the courage to go makeup less in front of them....way too insecure :doh: