Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doglover1

new to regimen, q about flaking & jojoba oil

Just got the products in today and I'm very excited to use them! The amount of info here is a little overwhelming. I have the basics down, I think, but I had a couple q's I was hoping to get answered before I jump in with the Dan products. I bolded the questions so my post won't be too long.

I understand the basic regimen order. I started it while waiting on the products to arrive - and today I noticed some flaking. Before I even used the BP!

Is flaking something you will always have to deal with on the regimen?? If not, when does it tend to get better? I have moderate acne, or mild by some standards... but boy today, with the winter weather, my skin looked soooo dull and yuckola, I'm not sure I think it's worth it to deal with the flaking. I have acne, yes. But it's easy to cover. It is harder to cover a face full of flaky skin.

Is jojoba oil before applying BP the general best practice from forum members to combat flaking?

What other ways have you found to address the flaking?

How can I apply product without irritating the skin? (I have tried the process while waiting on product to arrive but when it comes to moisturizing, it seems like it is very hard to do without my skin noticing the very mild pulling that occurs. When I do the cleansing part as Dan describes my skin looks nice and healthy but once I start applying product it goes all... pale-ish and blotchy like it does when I apply any pressure at all. How can you be gentle when it comes to putting on lotion? (This q is more for the morning, as the change in complexion affects applying makeup. I don't mind as much at night since no one sees it.)

Okay so that is a lot of questions but I will appreciate your answers and tips!

Is flaking something you will always have to deal with on the regimen??

No, some peoples flakiness subsides after a month, some after six months, and some even longer, but it eventually subsides in most cases.

Is jojoba oil before applying BP the general best practice from forum members to combat flaking?

What other ways have you found to address the flaking?

The best thing that has helped MY flaking is gently exfoliating off the flakes with oil after cleansing, and a couple drops of oil in my moisturizer, but some find success in just oil before cleansing, after BP or just in their moisturizer.

How can I apply product without irritating the skin?

Oil, oil oil oil, i always found it hard to apply my moisturizer gently, that was until i started adding a few drops of oil into it, it spreads SO much easier, its like a dream, yeah it still gets red and blotchy sometimes, but it goes away quickly and its much less irritated.

OP, which brand are you using?

I am using the acne.org products, and I find that, for me anyway, they glide on very smoothly.

As for the flaking, I've only had mild flaking so far, but since I'm new to the Regimen (only 2 weeks in right now) I'm only using a little more than the starting amount of BP. I think maybe Dan's timeline of 2-4 weeks to work up to the full amount of BP is a little too ambitious.

Edited by tiggeriffic

@SocialAnxiety - Thank you! It is such a relief to hear that - eventually - the flaking subsides. I find it annoying, and wasn't expecting it before I even started using the BP. Thank you for the tip to add JO throughout the process for benefits.

I will try what you said, use the JO as a mild defoliant between cleansing and BP. Thanks again!

OP, which brand are you using?

I am using the acne.org products, and I find that, for me anyway, they glide on very smoothly.

As for the flaking, I've only had mild flaking so far, but since I'm new to the Regimen (only 2 weeks in right now) I'm only using a little more than the starting amount of BP. I think maybe Dan's timeline of 2-4 weeks to work up to the full amount of BP is a little too ambitious.

I use Eucerin Everyday Protection face lotion, only in the mornings now that I have Dan's moisturizer. It has SPF, which could be why it doesn't glide as well. I plan to try SocialAnxiety's suggestion to add the JO.

I understand where Dan is coming from about SPF lotion. But. I have very fair skin and my face doesn't just gradually tan with incidental exposure. I haven't been totally perfect about sun protection over the years but pretty good since I got to my 20s. And... I took some candid photos the other day, when I view them in the LCD screen at an angle there are all these very small freckle looking marks, but they aren't freckles and I don't think they are acne scars. Not ice pick or something. I think it's mild sun damage. So I will be sticking with morning SPF for the time being.

I am excited to try the regimen - but was a bit disappointed when my skin got flaky before I even used any BP. Probably because I was so gentle the skin didn't come off like it otherwise would. I actually got a clean napkin, wet it, and gently ran it over the skin over lunch break. I wasn't used to looking so dull. I hope I can find a JO additional step that will combat the flakes.

Thank you for sharing your BP experience. I will keep it in mind as I gradually increase. Only started the BP step last night.

Currently, my skin is... complaining. :) But I think it could partly be because I *also* got that Clinique product for dark spots on the face and started using it. I have discontinued it, both to see if it helps and because I know it's better to only change one part of your routine at once. Plus, that stuff is going to work better once the acne is under control.

Geez. I recently turned 28. I feel "too old" to have these complexion woes. It will be so awesome if the regimen gets it under control.

Edited by doglover1

New here, too.

I've been using this TimeWise Cleansing bar for almost 4 months now. And my skin hasn't improved.

It looks like one region of the cheek stays red and bumpy.

How effective is the clean towel technique? Thanks.

New here, too.

I've been using this TimeWise Cleansing bar for almost 4 months now. And my skin hasn't improved.

It looks like one region of the cheek stays red and bumpy.

How effective is the clean towel technique? Thanks.

HOW DARE YOU STEAL MY AVATAR YOU... YOU AVATAR THEIF.

Also i'm glad i could help OP ^_^

doglover if it makes you feel better, I'm 29 :)

I think the JO will help make your Eucerin moisturizer more glide-y. Is that a word? glide-y?

Edited by tiggeriffic