Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i am weeks away from starting Accutane.

i am really scared and not 100% decided. i am 27, female, and suffered acne since i was 20. i've been on most treatments you can imagine with no real or long lasting effects.

this week i need to call my derm to tell her what i have decided: Accutane yes or no...

so i guess this is the "before"post... :(

*is scared*

Edited by insomniac27

hey there..

i understand how u feel. I face the exact same thing before accutane treatment.

It is difficult to say if one would be completely cured of acne after taking accutane.... but it is better than doing nothing at all.

bear in mind that accutane is not an overnight miracle. It is often said that it gets worse before it gets better.

Talk to your derm, get his/her advice.

Good luck!

have you tried birth control pills? i feel like the acne you got when you were 20 is more hormonal.

yes, i have, for 2 years. and it was pretty good. almost amazing. but as soon as i went off it, the acne came back. the only acne that seems to have been cured with birth control pills was on my back although i feel it might be starting to come back.

I'm starting my Accutane tomorrow - also feeling a little nervous, but we're both doing this with a real hope! My derm said that in most cases it's a cure for LIFE. That's worth holding onto! :) Hope you're feeling a little more relaxed, and confident in whatever decision you make. :)

Hi! Just dropping by to wish you good luck on your treatment if you decide to go ahead with it. ;)

I'm about the same age as you, female, and have suffered from acne for about 10 years! :| Both of the derms I saw suggested accutane because although my acne isn't super severe, it is causing scarring and red marks. :( I've been on it for 2 weeks so far and the side effects haven't been too bad...I just have to drink extra water, moisturize well, use eye drops, nasal lubricant, and I'm fine. ;)

Well, I'm definitely not an expert, but feel free to ask questions! :D

Hi everyone!

I am starting my accutane treatment today. I am a female, 24 yrs old, started to have acne from 20 all of a sudden. Tried birth control pills, antibiotics, zinerith, wouldn't work. Although i do not have severe acne, but it is pretty much persistent and my skin is prone to having scars. I would say my acne is more mild moderate but I am tired of having persistent breakouts and oily skin when I had a very nice and dry skin before.

Anyway, let's keep everyone posted on the progress of treatment. Im going to take my first pill today :) I am on 20 mg a day, weight is 50 kg (not sure what it is in lbs)..Hoping for the best. And my doctor told me that i shouldn't have any initial breakout..I very much hope so!

I'm starting my Accutane tomorrow - also feeling a little nervous, but we're both doing this with a real hope! My derm said that in most cases it's a cure for LIFE. That's worth holding onto! :) Hope you're feeling a little more relaxed, and confident in whatever decision you make. :)

I appreciate your comment! sometimes reading blogs and posts of people saying acne came back after accutane makes me wonder if its even worth it. my derm also said that it is in most cases a cure for life... so thank you for reminding me of that!!! good luck with your journey!!!

Hi! Just dropping by to wish you good luck on your treatment if you decide to go ahead with it. ;)

I'm about the same age as you, female, and have suffered from acne for about 10 years! :| Both of the derms I saw suggested accutane because although my acne isn't super severe, it is causing scarring and red marks. :( I've been on it for 2 weeks so far and the side effects haven't been too bad...I just have to drink extra water, moisturize well, use eye drops, nasal lubricant, and I'm fine. ;)

Well, I'm definitely not an expert, but feel free to ask questions! :D

thank you so much! good luck with your treatment too... i think my case is like yours, definitely... moderate acne but persistant and leaves scars. so its like i never fully feel i need to take accutane but if i look back ive had acne for 7 years!!! and thats not right..

Hi everyone!

I am starting my accutane treatment today. I am a female, 24 yrs old, started to have acne from 20 all of a sudden. Tried birth control pills, antibiotics, zinerith, wouldn't work. Although i do not have severe acne, but it is pretty much persistent and my skin is prone to having scars. I would say my acne is more mild moderate but I am tired of having persistent breakouts and oily skin when I had a very nice and dry skin before.

Anyway, let's keep everyone posted on the progress of treatment. Im going to take my first pill today :) I am on 20 mg a day, weight is 50 kg (not sure what it is in lbs)..Hoping for the best. And my doctor told me that i shouldn't have any initial breakout..I very much hope so!

my story is like yours as well. good luck with the treatment!

we could do a mini group considering we are starting more or less at the same time.. although i will know for sure un 15 mins when i call my derm, but i needed to come here and post something

UPDATE: i called. i said i decided to take accutane. her answer was "bravo". i have an appointment on the 24th and so i guess i'd be starting days after that...

today is my last day on antibiotics... i am starting on friday a week on no meds, previous to starting to accutane... hope my face wont go too crazy esp since i have an event a week from now!!! :/

Please check this out , it doesn't worth it

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules that you agreed to when signing up.*

i've tried it before , cleared me up for 6 months

and the damn curse came back

just think about it , consider me as i'm begging you

:rolleyes: Don't listen to the scare-monger above here.

Yes, sometimes acne can come back after a course of Accutane. SOMETIMES. But you also have a really good chance of never having to worry about it again.

I've been on low-dose Accutane twice now. Totally worth it. Side effects not anything to write home about, and it kept me clear for several blessed months. Months that I deeply appreciate, because any time without acne is awesome in my view. In fact if I took the regular dose, which I'll probably do if it ever comes back again, I am even more likely to never have acne troubles in the future.

So really, don't be so worried. You'll be fine.

:rolleyes: Don't listen to the scare-monger above here.

Yes, sometimes acne can come back after a course of Accutane. SOMETIMES. But you also have a really good chance of never having to worry about it again.

I've been on low-dose Accutane twice now. Totally worth it. Side effects not anything to write home about, and it kept me clear for several blessed months. Months that I deeply appreciate, because any time without acne is awesome in my view. In fact if I took the regular dose, which I'll probably do if it ever comes back again, I am even more likely to never have acne troubles in the future.

So really, don't be so worried. You'll be fine.

Thank you for that... yeah hopefully it won't come back. to be honest right now im only worrying about how worse can it get while i'm on it :/

oh well, i guess i cant help it, and im not on anything right now and its not much better...

GOOD LUCK! i went back and forth with going on Accutane for about 7 years now... i finally got so fed up with my acne i started 11 days ago and even though im so new into this i am happy that i started.

ok, so it is day 8 today. my skin is getting dry and flaky. i bought avene hydrance optimale cream today. it is non comedogenic. just what i need. as for my acne, i only have one active now and mainly red marks on my cheeks. i had about 3-4 active pimples before i went on accutane. it is definately working, but still too early to say....

what dose are you on???

my derm gave me 40mg the first two weeks and then continue with 60mg *eek* i am scaredddd

need to decide WHEN to start now.

I am only on 20 mg a day. But my height is 50 kg. I am taking Isotretinoin from Ratiopharm. My derm does not want to up my dose at all, so i am taking 20 mg for 50 days, and then I see him.

Are you taking generics?

Don't be scared. In 5 months time you will have a nice and smooth sking. My sking is already looking better :) touch wood!

i am 69 kg but i really would like to lose a bit (to 60) not that it makes a difference right now, but still just wanted to mention it lol.

i am taking roaccutane. i heard in the US they dont make it anymore, but in my country they do. my derm told me she could give me generics but i told her "just give me the best" and she gave me roaccutane.

wow so you're having results after 2 weeks? (you're 2 weeks in, right?). are you posting anywhere else than this thread so i can follow your progress? or wanna share this one?

XO

good luck!!!