Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys,

I've been battling acne for about 3 years now and coming to this site regularly like most of you in desperate attempts to finally find the answer, the cure, the right combination of medicine and lifestyle to beat acne.

I have been using Duac religiously for almost 3 years, and it has never gotten me clear. While it has kept inflammation down, I have still continuously had acne. In the summertime I usually get pretty clear, but never perfect.

About 5 days ago I decided to stop using Duac. It has an antibiotic that leads to resistant bacteria, it is irritating, it is expensive, it bleaches clothes, and after 3 years, I've had enough. I know that stopping is probably going to be really hard since I expect my skin to go crazy as soon as it realizes there are no more antibiotics, but I'm 21 and I don't want to continue putting this harsh chemical on my face every night. Instead I will simply wash with a gentle exfoliating cleanser (LHA cleansing gel), moisturize, eat healthy, exercise, and drink a lot of water.

Day 5:

Not bad. Slightly worse than before I stopped, but some of the new pimples might have been developing for quite some time. Thanksgiving is in 2 weeks and I'll be going home to see all my friends. I'm terrified of how my skin will look. Whenever I break out I try to stay in. I get really self-conscious, especially since before I went to college my skin was always clear. On the other hand, if this ends up working, I will be on top of the world.

Day 7:

Skin is a little dryer than before stopping Duac. I used to cleanse with Cetaphil AM/PM and apply Duac PM only. Now I'm just cleansing with LHA Cleansing Gel AM/PM (It's a Glycolic Acid based cleanser recommended by a dermatologist friend). No major breakouts yet, but it is still way too early to tell. I do notice that my skin feels a little softer, although it is not any more clear. If you have any specific questions, just let me know and I'll include answers in my subsequent posts.

Im going through somewhat of the same thing right now....Ive decided to get off of the Doryx ive been taking for the last 3 months since I am getting the same amount of breakouts if not more.

What is the cleanser you are using? Im currently looking for something without BP in it since the proactive I been using for 5 months aint cutting it....

PS- I get the same way with breakouts.....and im dreading thanksgiving since I will be off of the doryx by then and Im PRAYING I will be clear...

I have been using Duac for quite a while as a spot treatment as well.

I'm glad to see you are keeping us updated on what is happening. Good luck. =)

Day 14:

No new breakouts. Clearer face, and much softer skin. I think the LHA cleansing gel is doing a really good job. Old marks are starting to fade a little. Last few pimples are healing, although not as quickly as they would have on Duac. Face is a little dry and definitely requires moisturizer and jojoba oil. If this is going to continue....nevermind..I don't want to jinx it. I'll keep you updated. It's still quite possible that my face has not yet reacted to stopping the medication. Wish me luck.

Yes, what happened?

I'm on Duac (mornings) and Differin (evenings), mainly for blackhead treatment. I went off Duac for 2 days and my skin was so soft, however, today I woke up with a bunch more blackheads... so I loaded it up in the morning again. Now my skin is tight and orange. Ouch.

I'd really like to get off of it as well, just because it's so harsh and such an irritant.

Edited by alex_teothc