Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
moonchild706

Holistic approach to sudden outbreak of SEVERE (hormonal?) acne

OK...this could be quite a long post, but i went from having seriously severe cystic acne to now having moderate/mild acne, which is getting better every day, so i definitely want to share what i've been doing.

I have had acne since i was probabally 12, but it was always mild-moderate. Well, i did have cystic acne sometimes but it was cyclical and went away without scarring. I am 20 years old now, and 6 months ago i broke out with EXTREMELY severe acne. It started out on my forhead and moved down and eventually settled on my jawline..ugh. Lesions were deep, extremely inflamed and painful to the point where smiling hurt, and all over the place! Like i had 20 or 30 at a time. They also connected and formed "sinus tracts" which SUCKED. And they took forever to heal, i still have one sinus tract on my left jaw that has been there for literally 3 months.

I went to a bunch of dermatologists and they all said that accutane was the ONLY thing that would help, despite the fact that this happened so suddenly. I was extremely against accutaine so didn't do that. I went to a naturopath and we did an elimination diet, and i also did the candida diet for a while. After having gone through those intense diets for a few months, i am fairly sure that the nature of my acne is hormonal and especially stress related. But, chocolate and dairy absolutely aggravate it (sigh..i love chocolate! carob is yummy too, though) *edit* eggs! eggs! eggs! they cause some pretty bad acne like the deeper painful stuff. I still have not really tested tomatoes or peanuts or cashews..don't really feel the need to right now as tomato season is over.

OH one thing i forgot to mention is that about one month before my skin got crazy, i had stopped eating soy and gluten for health reasons. My naturopath thought that maybe it was partly a purging reaction and also because dropping soy cold turkey may have messed with my hormones. I did a trial of eating soy after no soy for 6 months, and my cycle became reallllly short immediately after starting on soy, and it didn't help my skin. But, when i stopped soy again, things seeemed to be starting to get better, although that may be a coincidence. I am getting a urine hormone test this month to see what exactly is out of balance, since the blood test is not as accurate. *edit* i have high DHEA (overactive adrenals), just started taking a supplement for it..hope it helps. *newer edit* it did not help. i'm just trying to relax and not stress so much (DHEA is a stress hormone)

So, after six months of disfiguring inflamed severe severe cystic acne, i am finally on my way to healthy skin!!! I still have some acne but it is really getting better and i will hopefully be able to fix this once i get the hormone test :)

here is what i have been doing - after i decided to not do the candida diet

diet:

NO: dairy; gluten; refined sugar; processed foods; caffeine; industrial meat/eggs/food; peanuts; chocolate; alcohol; tobacco/cigarettes *edit - i did not smoke cigarettes before this, i don't know why i put this here. i guess as a recommendation to others?* **newer edit** no chocolate, no eggs at all, peanuts are ok

not too much - high-sugar foods (like fruits, carrots, white potatoes, juice, white rice, honey, etc.)

YES: lots of organic veggies, especially greens (kale, broccoli, spinache); organic, grass-fed local meat (in moderation); chicpeas/beans; more veggies; brown rice; quinoi; jerusalem artichookes; almonds/almond butter, pecans, walnuts, cherries/berries..etc.

eating organic is VERY important for not introducing more toxins into my body.

Supplements: (of these i suggest iron then neem then turmeric the most)

i have been taking colostrumsince the beginning of September, although i am not sure how much that has actually helped and how much has been coincidence, i have no severe reactions if i forget to take it for a day but haven't been off it for too long. i take it twice a day, in the morning and at night. There are some lengthy threads on this board about colostrum, if you are interested. *edit* i stopped taking colostrum two weeks ago and my skin hasn't really gotten much worse...well..a little bit but i am 90% sure that is because ive been eating chocolate. so, i don't think the colostrum helped me too much. *double edit* well..since i stopped taking it i have been getting more deeper acne for the first time in about a month or two..i thought it was due to diet but now i'm not sure. i'm going to keep my diet really clean for another few weeks and if i dont see improvement by then, i'm going to add colostrum back in. **newer edit** ok, so, i stopped taking colostrum back in january and then started getting deeper pimples again. 3 weeks ago i began taking lauricidin which my naturopath had given me, and now my skin is improving. Lauricidin is found in mother's milk, so it is in colostrom, so the colostrum was definitely helping me!and the lauricidin is certainly helping now! I just finished my period with no new pimples!!

turmeric- have been taking for almost as long as i've been taking colostrum, and i think that it's definitely been helping, although, once again, its difficult to say since i've been doing so much *edit* i really think the turmeric is helping.

neem- i just started taking neem supplements a few weeks ago and i really think that they've helped! i take them twice a day.

iron- i just started taking iron around the same time as i started with neem, i take a liquid supplement and i definitely think that when i forget to take it i can see a difference. *edit* now i take a calcium magnesium iron supp.

i am supposed to be taking digestive enzymesbut i keep forgetting!

milk thistle/dandelion root/burdock root tincture -one or two times a day to support my liver so that my body can remove toxins well

food sourced multi vitaminis supposed to be better than synthetic vitamins

5HTPfor stress

Topical - [absolutely recommend all of these things, and i have tried A LOT]

face wash: himalaya herbals neem and turmeric face wash- noticed improvement very soon after starting with this! so much less irritating than soap :)

neem oil!This has been the BEST thing EVER. i use it every night and its smelly but so worth it! It helps so much with inflammation. absolutely needs to be organicthough. *edit* my favorite neem brand is tattvas herbs. i also add 5-10 drops of turmeric essential oil to the neem because using turmeric powder topically stains my face, and this is supposed to really help with scars. too soon to tell though. I also just started adding a blend of essential oils especially for scars to my neem (oils include helichrysum, lavender, sage, and sandalwood. Helichrysum is REALLY expensive but it is the essential oil for scars). *update* turmeric EO has realllyy been lightening my PIH. instead of red now it is pink...still quite noticeable but slowly fading. Turmeric is supposed to lighten skin so it makes sense.

tamanu oil- i use this sometimes and it absolutely helps with skin tone, inflammation, and red marks. smells a lot better than neem, too. I usually do half neem half tamanu. I think neem is better with reducing inflammation and infection.

neem/turmeric/jasmine cream- i use this during the day, it's much much lighter than the oils so i can put make up on over it, and it smells so nice because of the jasmine. it's by tattvas herbs, you can find it online. this is my ABSOLUTE favorite product!

makeup:

i switched from bare escentuals to faerie organics and i am so happy! BE made my face suuuuppper itchy (although i didn't know that it was BE until i stopped using it), FO is great, it's organic so i know there's no toxins, it covers really well and it's a small company which is cool. and it doesn't make me itchy! meow cosmetics looked good too but samples were so expensive because you have to buy 7 at a time.

so, i think that the new topicals have been helping me a lot lately, but here's what i've been doing that's REALLY been helping

sleep - i always noticed that my skin has been much less inflamed during the day, and then it gets really inflamed throughout the day. And the less i sleep, the more inflamed it is when i wake up. it is ABSOLUTELY important to get enough sleep, that is when your body does maintenance stuff like healing your skin! i cannot say enough how important sleep is for healing acne

stress - another reason why my skin would get inflamed throughout the day is stress. One morning i woke up, my skin was flat, and then 10 minutes later it was super inflamed because i woke up into a stressful situation. I can definitely see the correlation between stress and my skin. I have been trying to reduce stress lately and i reallllly think that this has helped SO MUCH. Also, stressing less has helped me to pick at my skin less which is a really big deal.

some things i have been doing stress-wise are positive affirmations and positive visioning. The idea behind a positive affirmation is that if you say something enough it will come true. So, every time i look into a mirror, or whenever i think about my skin in a negative way, i say "i have beautiful, radiant, clear, healthy skin that reflects the beauty, radiance, clarity, and health of my mind body and spirit." Positive visioning is the same idea- before you go to bed, or while you are saying the positive affirmation, picture your skin healing, and then picture yourself with clear skin. reallllly focus on the mental vision. I just started doing this about 2 weeks ago and it has helped SO MUCH i can literally see the difference each morning! And i have been thinking about my skin less since i've been doing this, i actually found myself walking around feeling like i actually had clear skin. Of course, i was quite saddened when i passed a mirror and saw all the red marks and scars etc. but i felt great before that, and i just told myself i was beautiful and moved on. I am absolutely going to do this every day, i think everyone should! The universe gives you what you focus on, and anyway, what harm can it do?

My skin still gets cyclical/hormonal related stuff, but this month it was really such a big difference. Usually i get the huge painful cysts, but lately i have been getting just whiteheads and small pimples that heal very quickly without leaving marks. I was pretty bad this weekend and ate chocolate, so right now i have some slightly inflamed new pimples on my forhead, but it is really still nothing like the huge giant cysts all over my cheeks. i can actually count them! and i think that they will go away soon. I would definitely rather have whiteheads than cysts all over my face. Although, it is difficult to resist picking at them... Now i just have to figure out what to do about scars..ughh!

Anyway, this is where i'm at right now. i am so so glad that i am making a turn around without accutaine, even if i have to give up chocolate haha (edit: i am absolutely addicted to chocolate and it is the hardest thing to give up haha). I absolutely reccomend neem, it is a wonderful thing, and not using soap or any harsh things like BP on your skin, and doing an elimination diet to see if any foods aggravate you (idk what i'd be like if i was eating dairy everyday..) also eating organic is super important!

I will keep posting on how things are going, if anyone reads this, let me know if you have any suggestions or questions. I am now looking for some natural things that will help with scars and red marks. i heard ACV is good?

Peace and Love

Edited by moonchild706

ugh...so i just looked at the pics again and the profile shots of the newer pics (blue sweatshirt) are so gross it really does still look like i have tons of acne. But that is reallly just a bunch of marks and scars, which will fade.IDK if you can tell how inflamed it was before unless you are me..hmm. i will try to post pics with makeup soon. but it really has been a tremendous improvement :). eh its so weird having my face out on the internet when i dont even have it out of my house in public!..i want to take them down..eh..urgh..mleh..nfrgfwer

ugh...so i just looked at the pics again and the profile shots of the newer pics (blue sweatshirt) are so gross it really does still look like i have tons of acne. But that is reallly just a bunch of marks and scars, which will fade.IDK if you can tell how inflamed it was before unless you are me..hmm. i will try to post pics with makeup soon. but it really has been a tremendous improvement :). eh its so weird having my face out on the internet when i dont even have it out of my house in public!..i want to take them down..eh..urgh..mleh..nfrgfwer

People like yourself who really do suffer from severe acne make me really realize of how hard i am on myself with something minimum to what you have had to deal with everyday. I would have lost it if that were me, i cant even imagine. I wish i had the heart and strength you do. Hugs to you, i hope it gets better for you soon!!!!

People like yourself who really do suffer from severe acne make me really realize of how hard i am on myself with something minimum to what you have had to deal with everyday. I would have lost it if that were me, i cant even imagine. I wish i had the heart and strength you do. Hugs to you, i hope it gets better for you soon!!!!

I just wanted to add that i wasn't trying to point it out even more, because i still think you are pretty regardless, so i hope you didnt take any offense because i promise it was not in that way at all. I was just merley trying to correlate of how, even right now, i think i have it pretty severe. I mean i even took a vacation day off of work tomorrow because of how bad it is. I too get the hormonal crap all on my chin and around mouth. I tried the diet thing and it really did not change for me and plus i was more stressed on it. I am trying to avoid the accutane plunge myself.

Anyways again i wish u the best and keep us all posted!!!

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

I just wanted to add that i wasn't trying to point it out even more, because i still think you are pretty regardless, so i hope you didnt take any offense because i promise it was not in that way at all. I was just merley trying to correlate of how, even right now, i think i have it pretty severe. I mean i even took a vacation day off of work tomorrow because of how bad it is. I too get the hormonal crap all on my chin and around mouth. I tried the diet thing and it really did not change for me and plus i was more stressed on it. I am trying to avoid the accutane plunge myself.

Anyways again i wish u the best and keep us all posted!!!

thanks..yeah extreme diet changes were way too stressful for me and made me think about my skin too much too. I suppose my diet now seems extreme to some but after the candida diet i am just happy to be eating oatmeal and rice! But yeah i know that you weren't trying to make me feel bad, i know that it is really severe, but i was a really high stress person for a long time and i think that this was my body sending me a very important message that i have to chill out. Could be worse i suppose, like cancer or a heart attack lol. I used to think i had bad skin before this too, and now when i look at old pictures of myself its so funny to think about how much i worried about acne. Up untill 6 months ago i really did have perfectly clear skin with the exception of hormonal monthly acne that didn't leave scarring or marks. But i am learning to love myself regardless, which is, i suppose, a lesson that i needed to learn. Even more importantly, i am really making progress without accutane! so it is absolutely possible, if i can do it you can do it lol, it is just a whole lot more difficult than taking a pill every day.

I really hope this works for you! And I was also going to say that, regardless of your skin, I think you are very attractive.

I have neem oil... just too smelly! I only wash with water, so I can't use it. I might use it as a spot treatment eventually, though.

thanks :). yeah neem oil is a wonderful thing..i only use it at night because of the smell and oilyness though. i usually wash my face only at night and then apply neem so i'm not sure how it would work if you're only using water, but i imagine it would be fine, its been used in India since before soap was invented probably lol.

how long have you been only water? At this point i am not going to take any chances because my skin condition is still too severe/volatile but i think i would like to eventually ween myself onto water only. How is it working out for you?

Great post! Points for bravery and honesty! Also, you have some extremely strong will-power-- I wouldn't last very long without my coffee...

Sorry if this is a repeat to a previous post:

I'm 30-- I've been on every acne treatment under the sun-- even Accutane. While I didn't have any obvious bad reaction, my acne came back full force three months after stopping the drug cycle. Mind you, I was meticulous about taking the correct dosage every day while I was on it.

I've been trying natural oils for acne since it seems that every topical has stopped being effective, and antibiotics do nothing for me.

Have you ever tried Manuka oil? I've only been on it for a few days since I it took me weeks trying to find it in any health food store, and I ended up ordering it from a NZ company, Koru Naturals. It's similar to tea tree oil, but doesn't cause the same kind of sensitivity reaction. It smells kind of "piney". I initially became interested because manuka oil and honey have been shown to be effective to treat drug-resistant infections. I think of it as an alternative to neem oil for the daytime. I mix a little with emu oil, I imagine Tamanu would work well, too.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Great post! Points for bravery and honesty! Also, you have some extremely strong will-power-- I wouldn't last very long without my coffee...

I'm 30-- I've been on every acne treatment under the sun-- even Accutane. While I didn't have any obvious bad reaction, my acne came back full force three months after stopping the drug cycle. Mind you, I was meticulous about taking the correct dosage every day while I was on it.

I've been trying natural oils for acne since it seems that every topical has stopped being effective, and antibiotics do nothing for me.

Have you ever tried Manuka oil? I've only been on it for a few days since I it took me weeks trying to find it in any health food store, and I ended up ordering it from a NZ company, Koru Naturals. It's similar to tea tree oil, but doesn't cause the same kind of sensitivity reaction. It smells kind of "piney". I initially became interested because manuka oil and honey have been shown to be effective to treat drug-resistant infections. I think of it as an alternative to neem oil for the daytime. I mix a little with emu oil, I imagine Tamanu would work well, too.

hmm..i think i looked into it but couldn't really find any or it was really expensive, but i am definitely interested in manuka! i've heard such great things about it. let me know how it works out for you : ) I do love using a honey mask, so manuka honey would probably be even better! But i am condidering now getting some manuka oil and mixing it in with my other oils...hmm...

Also, have you ever thought about candida? If you've been on a bunch of antibiotics and accutane and your acne keeps coming back, that might be a root cause? antibiotics can cause a candida overgrowth by killing all the good bacteria in your intestines, and it feeds on sugar so most americans have a candida overgrowth (we lovvvee sugar and antibiotics haha) and it does cause acne as well as a bunch of other symptoms like yeast infections, leaky gut, stomach aches, muscle aches..etc. If you have any of those maybe look into a candida diet? I'm not sure if you've heard of this so sorry if you have and this is presumptuous.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Ashley - yeah i have heard such great things about aloe, i actually have a plant, but it's just such a pain to use - very messy! let me know if you figure out a good way to use it. i suppose just cutting off the bottom and rubbing the plant on your face..it just seems like that would waste so much though. I wonder how they make it into such a nice gel anyway..

Jutta- where did you find manuka oil? i looked around a bit but it is quite difficult!

ah..so..i have tried to convince myself that i can eat chocolate but it really does break me out. oh well :( i suppose i can overcome my addiction, i didn't eat it for so long before. But my skin really seems to be getting better every day, even my cheeks which i thought would have reaaallllly bad scarring seem so smooth! albeit really discolored. I did get a TON of sleep this weekend though because i pulled an all nighter on thursday (omg i was so inflamed on friday!) so i overcompensated..of course :) yay college...

I really want to use turmeric masks but they are so messy and its hard to get the yellow stain off..anyone have any experience with that? its supposed to really help with red marks and scars. I guess i'll wait until next weekend to try again though because i don't want to be going to class with a yellow stained face. I will try using yogurt to get it off, i read that somewhere.

I am so happy that i have a normal face again! I used to be lumpy and weird looking and so painful (ah i didn't even want to kiss or hug my boyfriend because it hurt when anything touched my face even a little tiny bit), and now, yeah i have a bunch of discoloration, but it really seems that the worst is over. what a weird time period..my skin just FREAKED out for 6 months. But, i suppose i did learn a lot from it. Last night i was thinking about the phrase "to be comfortable in your own skin" while i was washing my face, and i realized how important it really is to be comfortable in your own skin, that is really the one thing you can't escape! or change, for the most part. I also think i am a happier person in general, i used to worry a lot, but now i am really trying to stop negative thoughts like that.

I am going to get the hormone test next week, so maybe that will give some answers. That is also around the time when i will get PMS acne..ugh...After i get the test i'm going to start seed cycling to try and regulate my hormones (i will explain what seed cycling is in another post, because it's really helpful!!), and the lab will recommend other treatment depending on my particular imbalance. So, this could be it! I am just waiting to hear back from my insurance company (which may pay for it..how awesome would that be?!)

What i am really worried about is going home for holidays..i haven't seen a lot of my family members in the last six months because i was away in Costa Rica doing research this summer and at school the rest of the time, so last time i saw most of my relatives i looked...well..i will post a pic from last Christmas haha. But...a lot of my relatives, at least on my dad's side, had really bad acne when they were my age too, so i guess they will understand. Its still so embarrassing though. But, maybe by then i will be doing even better, and at least i don't still look like a topographic map. The worst thing is seeing old friends from high school or something who i haven't seen in years..ughh. But, like i said, the worst is over. One thing that i am looking forward to is seeing my parents, because i look SO much better and they were really pushing accutane. So it will be good for them to see that i really don't need it anymore. OK this post is getting too long, but its good to share these thoughts and feelings with people who understand.

Edited by moonchild706

No, no, it's fine. I wouldn't be shocked if I had a yeast overload going on in my system.

I've had weird issues like thrush-- basically a yeast infection in the throat. Sounds disgusting, but it just felt like a sore throat at the time that wouldn't go away. I had to go to an ENT specialist who did a scope and saw what I had.

I've been on so many antibiotics that even the hard-core ones like Keflex don't work for me. If a Dr. prescribes me amoxicillin for a phlegmy-flu I want to laugh.

The manuka oil wasn't too expensive when I ordered if off one web site-- considering how much some of the over-the-counter acne treatments cost, it didn't seem like much. It is a pain, though, that I have to order it over the interent here in the US. I think it's more available over the counter in Europe, definitely in Australia/New Zealand. My only complaint is that for some reason, the oil is so "thin" that it leaks out of the bottle unless I really twist it tight. I recently got lavender oil, too, to spread the manuka oil out... Although neither oil seems that "oily".

I'll probably have to wait a little bit until I decide for sure if it's working or not. In some ways, it almost seems like my skin is purging.

No, no, it's fine. I wouldn't be shocked if I had a yeast overload going on in my system.

I've had weird issues like thrush-- basically a yeast infection in the throat. Sounds disgusting, but it just felt like a sore throat at the time that wouldn't go away. I had to go to an ENT specialist who did a scope and saw what I had.

I've been on so many antibiotics that even the hard-core ones like Keflex don't work for me. If a Dr. prescribes me amoxicillin for a phlegmy-flu I want to laugh.

The manuka oil wasn't too expensive when I ordered if off one web site-- considering how much some of the over-the-counter acne treatments cost, it didn't seem like much. It is a pain, though, that I have to order it over the interent here in the US. I think it's more available over the counter in Europe, definitely in Australia/New Zealand. My only complaint is that for some reason, the oil is so "thin" that it leaks out of the bottle unless I really twist it tight. I recently got lavender oil, too, to spread the manuka oil out... Although neither oil seems that "oily".

I'll probably have to wait a little bit until I decide for sure if it's working or not. In some ways, it almost seems like my skin is purging.

definitely sounds like candida to me. I recommend aquaflora high potency 9 homeopathic remedy. It will be much more effective after a month or so of the candida diet, but that's a pretty tough diet to keep up...I couldnt do it for longer than a few months, but i really think the aquaflora worked. Candida..argh

hmm... is the manuka oil is an essential oil? Did you get lavender essential oil, or lavender oil? jojoba oil is always good as a base oil, it soaks into your skin very well because it has the same make up as your natural oils. What brand manuka oil did you get? I found some on amazon but couldn't find an organic one. How do you like it so far? has the purging reaction calmed at all?

quick update for my blog..today was pretty rough i got really sad about my skin, probably because i have this new cyst on my chin. I guess its not that new, i always get the same on there, but i thought that i was done with cysts, i hadn't gotten one in weeks. But tomorrow is a new day...sigh. I really have to stay positive, but its so hard sometimes. I completely freaked out and was crying to my boyfriend about one stupid cyst! He helped a lot to put it in perspective...i took like 15 steps forward, one step back is acceptable. I just hope it keeps going forward. The rough thing is that even if i only get one bad pimple every week or every month, that means one new scar. Oh, and i did the turmeric mask and i just added a little caster oil to my facewash and the yellow came right off. Last time i used turmeric i had to scrub and scrub. I want to try using coconut oil next time to see if it leaves my skin a little smoother. Hopefully if i use this enough it will help with scarring, its supposed to. I made a weird mix though, i think i will use yogurt next time.

the turmeric is absolutely helping. i've been leaving it on overnight the last few days and it really helps to reduce inflammation AND i think its lessened red marks :dance: YAY

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Does tumeric stain? Maybe I'll try it one day.

yeah it stains but i rinse with water first then add a little castor oil to my facewash and that gets rid of the stain. leaving it on overnight is way more effective than leaving it on just for an hour, and once it dries on your face it actually doesn't stain your pillowcase (unless you drool :P lol)

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Ashley - ohhh right i forgot about that haha. yeah you definitely have to cleanse it off if you dont want to be yellow for a few days lol. how is your skin doing with water so far?

quick update- skin was doing fairly well but its pretty crappy right now because of PMS and i also ate some gluten and cheese on thanksgiving (TINY amount but still..) so that may also be contributing. BUT i am happy because it hasnt been a huge reaction, just a bunch of white heads... really yucky ones though. hopefully things will be better next week

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

hey moonchild! glad to hear your skin is doing to much better :).. the diet is huge!! i just added back in some carbs after 3 mths!! goodluck!

My skin didn't like water :( I've been not washing at all (even water) for 6 days, and I'm veerrry flaky. But, I don't see any big new pimples :) I'm also not washing my hair at all, even water (a thread on the longhaircommunity talks about it, called the sebum-only approach, as I want to see if that helps my hair and skin, since water-washing dried my ends out). I am quite oily on my t-zone :(

A few whiteheads are better than huge bumps! Are you allergic to gluten and dairy? Maybe if you have to eat them, try an anti-histamine? Maybe those bumps are a reaction to something you are allergic to. I'm thinking I'm either allergic or sensitive to honey (and sweets in general can cause me some stomach upset); I was eating a lot of it on its own a few days ago, and noticed more blemishes. But that might just be a coincidence. But as I said, maybe taking allergy meds would help minimize or eliminate a reaction.

oohh that's a good idea! i usually just avoid gluten and dairy cause they break me out but i stupidly ate chocolate today so i will try that! a friend of mine told me he hasnt washed his hair all semester and it looks great, but he does take long showers. Do you take cold showers?

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

You *really* need to do some research on healing yourself on the inside. So many people don't realize that acne is a symptom of something that's upsetting your body in some way, don't bandaid it! Topicals are fine but continue to search for the root cause of your acne because topicals are not fixing the actual problem.

ashley - i think benedryl may have helped me! i took it after eating some cheese and didn't really have a reaction. it was goat cheese though, so i'm not sure if i may only have a reaction to cow milk products. that's a possibility.

But, i do have a bunch of smaller pimples right now so i should prob stay away from cheese in general :( but considering i just finished my period and have been eating lots of "bad" things these past few days (i actually had chocolate which is a huge no no for me) my skin is def looking pretty good!! Inflammation is very low. i haven't been doing the turmeric mask because i've been lazy..i'm looking into using turmeric oil instead (adding it to my neem-based night oil blend) as i think it should have the same effects. Otherwise..not too much to report. It's the last week of classes for this semester for me so i've got a TON of work to do! trying to get it done so i'm not stressing or staying up late. gah, i wish that staying up didn't make my skin so much worse, but it does! I suppose getting enough sleep is a good thing though haha.

This winter break i am going to really discipline myself to get up by 9 am every day and go to sleep by 12 midnight every night, and to meditate and do yoga every morning and get excercise and take all my supplements every day (i';ve been really sporadic with them lately) and do the colon cleanse 3x/day until i run out of bentonite, then i think it will be safe to move on to a liver cleanse. This summer my goal was to have significant improvement by december, and i have absolutely met that goal! My new goal is significant improvement from where i am now by the beginning of next semester, which i think is absolutely achievable, especially if i really stick to the regimin i'm going to set for myself. Once i have it set i ll post it here :)