Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dealing with

What's causing my rosacea?

hey,

could you help me pinpoint to what's causing my rosacea?

i'm a 19 year old student; i go to the gym 3-4 times a week, my diet consists mainly of potatoes with veggies and cottage cheese, pasta with cheese and aforementioned additives (veggies and cottage cheese) AND protein shakes, since i don't eat meat. so i live a relatively healthy lifestyle, yet i can't get rid of rosacea.

i went to a dermatologist back when i was living in europe and he prescribed me antibiotics, duac gel and differin; all of which helped TREMENDOUSLY at first, but now it seems that the topicals are doing more harm than good. mind you i haven't been to a dermatologist in months because i don't live in europe anymore; i just have some leftovers from what he prescribed me.

thanks!

Were you actually diagnosed with rosacea? 19 is a bit young, but not unheard of. No one knows exactly what causes rosacea. Is it a skin disease, a vascular disease, one where mites are contributing factors?

Unfortunately there is no cure for rosacea. It can be controlled, and how it is controlled can vary from individual to individual. It might involve topical applications such as metrolgel, anti-biotics, or even low doses of accutane.

We know that rosacea can be controlled and that flare-ups can be triggered by weather, food, alcohol but while there are generalities, individual triggers can vary from individual to individual. The effectiveness of treatment varies from person to person.

Your best bet is to stay out of the sun, avoid hot beverages, spicy food and alcohol, but these in and of themselves may or may not help you in your specific case.

I have had the best success with low dosages of accutane (isoretonin) and have recently added a topical which is available over the counter called Prosacea. It seems to help a lot with the redness, however, it might not work for you. I had good success with anti-biotics for a while, then they were no longer effective and I moved to accutane. Metrogel, for me, was absolutely useless

For some laser treatment has been proven effective..

Best advice: see a derm who specializes in treating rosacea as a significant component of his or her pratice.

All the best,

Joe Zit

Were you actually diagnosed with rosacea? 19 is a bit young, but not unheard of. No one knows exactly what causes rosacea. Is it a skin disease, a vascular disease, one where mites are contributing factors?

Unfortunately there is no cure for rosacea. It can be controlled, and how it is controlled can vary from individual to individual. It might involve topical applications such as metrolgel, anti-biotics, or even low doses of accutane.

We know that rosacea can be controlled and that flare-ups can be triggered by weather, food, alcohol but while there are generalities, individual triggers can vary from individual to individual. The effectiveness of treatment varies from person to person.

Your best bet is to stay out of the sun, avoid hot beverages, spicy food and alcohol, but these in and of themselves may or may not help you in your specific case.

I have had the best success with low dosages of accutane (isoretonin) and have recently added a topical which is available over the counter called Prosacea. It seems to help a lot with the redness, however, it might not work for you. I had good success with anti-biotics for a while, then they were no longer effective and I moved to accutane. Metrogel, for me, was absolutely useless

For some laser treatment has been proven effective..

Best advice: see a derm who specializes in treating rosacea as a significant component of his or her pratice.

All the best,

Joe Zit

hey,

thanks for replying :)

to answer your question - no, i wasn't, but why else would he prescribe me antibiotics? my cheeks are red and every now and then my eyes will start watering. aren't those symptoms of rosacea?

prosacea, eh. i wanted to buy it, but the product seems sketchy. there's a prosacea thread on this forum and there were a lot of people that signed up for an account just to praise it. seems kind of odd, doesn't it? *cough* scam. btw, is there such a thing as over the counter antibiotics?

i would go to a dermatologist, but i'm a poor college student, so i have to take care of it on my own :D

have a good one!

edit: just to clarify, by red cheeks i meant the area close to my nose. the same area has sorta enlarged pores and uneven texture.

Edited by Dealing with

There are many skin conditions in which antibiotics are prescribed. For rosacea patients certain ones such as doxycycline has the property of drying the skin and this is as much as a factor ithan any antimicrobial properties. Eventually, however the body either adjusts to the medication with regard to the skin drying side effects, or the bacteria builds up resistance due to natural selection.

There are many over the counter medications that have antibiotic properties. Neosporin, for example. Anything that kills germs is is technically an antibiotic, I suppose.

Moving on to Prosacea: look how long I have been a member of this forum. I like the product, am pleased with the product. I do not receive and endorsement for singing its praises and frankly am a little put off that you would question my integrity. It works for me to date, and doesn't cost an arm or a leg. I'll tell you what, poor college student, send me a message with your contact information and I'll send you a tube, try it and see if it works. The active ingredient is sulfur, which is one of the oldest treatments for rosacea and other skin diseases going back to the time of the Romans.

Tell you what, when you are on your winter break do some research on rosacea and then you will realize that no one treatment protocol is effective for all people. Also check out the Rosacea Society website. To date there isn't even consensus as to what the root causes of the disease is and maybe what we call rosacea is really several interconnected diseases. No one really knows.. When you were seeing a derm in Europe, why didn't you simply ask for a diagnosis? It is fairly common to ask as physician this question: What exactly is wrong with me?

Wishing you all the best,

Joe Zit

Moving on to Prosacea: look how long I have been a member of this forum. I like the product, am pleased with the product. I do not receive and endorsement for singing its praises and frankly am a little put off that you would question my integrity. It works for me to date, and doesn't cost an arm or a leg.

i'm sorry. i didn't mean to offend you in any way. i'm just saying - it's a little odd that so many people signed up for accounts just to write one super positive review and then disappear afterward.

I'll tell you what, poor college student, send me a message with your contact information and I'll send you a tube, try it and see if it works. The active ingredient is sulfur, which is one of the oldest treatments for rosacea and other skin diseases going back to the time of the Romans.

while i really appreciate it, there's no need. i just started using something else, which, by the way, seems to be helping. hope it stays that way :)

in the morning i cleanse my face using a dove beauty bar for sensitive skin and moisturize it with olay moisturizing lotion for sensitive skin and apply differin to any spots that i might have.

in the evening i apply an egg white mask and again, apply differin to any spots that i might have.

When you were seeing a derm in Europe, why didn't you simply ask for a diagnosis? It is fairly common to ask as physician this question: What exactly is wrong with me?

i don't know. i guess i didn't really care what was wrong with me as long as the treatment worked.

have a great weekend! again, sorry for offending you, my remarks obviously weren't directed towards you.