Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naru

Dark acne scars?

Hi everybody,

I have been having acne since middle school and am currently a sophomore in college. My acne scars (dark marks) have been accumulating, making me feel very insecure and to be truthful--ugly. The only time I ever feel confident is when I put make up on.

Does anyone have suggestions or have tried any skin care regimens to lighten scars? Topical creams? I understand that I should go to the dermatologist. I suppose I have always just wanted to try and see if I could take care of it.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Naru

Hi everybody,

I have been having acne since middle school and am currently a sophomore in college. My acne scars (dark marks) have been accumulating, making me feel very insecure and to be truthful--ugly. The only time I ever feel confident is when I put make up on.

Does anyone have suggestions or have tried any skin care regimens to lighten scars? Topical creams? I understand that I should go to the dermatologist. I suppose I have always just wanted to try and see if I could take care of it.

Thank you in advance!

Well hydroquinone is supposed to reduce hyper pigmentation, so that's a pretty common thing for people to use. However there's a chance of skin cancer and it's illegal in some countries so that's kinda sketchy...

Other things I've heard of being used are kojic acid, lemon juice, and ACV taken internally.

Personally I've given up on my brown marks, I'm just hoping they'll disappear over time... :rolleyes:

kojic acid on the spot (read the instructions), exfoliation twice a week. Moisturize the skin with similar lipids than skin, perhaps a little bit of aloe vera. protect from the sun.

If it's pigmentation, you'd want to find something like hydroquinone that will fade them. If they're physical *scars*, you'll need to explore other options like lasers.

Well hydroquinone is supposed to reduce hyper pigmentation, so that's a pretty common thing for people to use. However there's a chance of skin cancer and it's illegal in some countries so that's kinda sketchy...

Hydroquinone is no longer approved by the FDA (in the United States) – they revoked their previous approval of it in 2006, based on concerns that it is potentially a carcinogen (). Personally, I'd avoid it, or at least try some safer options first.

Hydroquinone is no longer approved by the FDA (in the United States) – they revoked their previous approval of it in 2006, based on concerns that it is potentially a carcinogen (). Personally, I'd avoid it, or at least try some safer options first.

agreed. i wouldnt use or rec hydroquinone. try licorice, kojic acid, retinol, or diluted lemon juice. no need to take a risk when there are safer options available.

I'm currently using Apple Cider Vinegar to attempt to fade mine. I'm applying it to my face twice a day and taking a tablet of it twice a day. I've been doing this Regimen for a week and a half, and am unsure if any progress is being made. Several other members on this board have tried this Regimen and had amazing results, so hopefully I can be one of those several.

I have very sensitive skin to this sort of reaction, so when I get another pimple popping up it tends to get angry and red and that doesn't fade for at least a week. I learned after a while that benzoyl peroxide was my enemy with dark red marks. SO:

for a while I would cleanse with a salycilic acid cleanser and then just apply moisturizer to the mark, and put a bandage with neosporin on it over night. One particularly horrid mark was drying up for a while and flaking off to reveal the new skin - but it dried and peeled for weeks! It was horrible. It was getting pretty good, but just this weekend I went and bought some vitamin - E oil. Overnight I let it rest and omg! The skin was still supple and looked less red, and now the redness is almost gone and it's barely dry at all (normally I would have moisturized several times during the day on that spot).

I highly recommend vitamin e oil. It is a superb treatment for red marks (use sparingly, it is an oil, and won't get completely absorbed by your skin). I have also heard that emu oil does wonders but that's much harder to get. Hope that helps!