Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alright so im a 16 year old girl. And about 3 months ago i began taking Alesse (birth control). within the first week i suffered a really bad breakout

ironically enough, the whole reason i started taking birth control was to help control my mild acne.

I started getting acne around age...hmm 10 or 11. At age 11 i was using Pro Active for about a year, then i stopped and was perscribed Clindoxyl Gel. It helped a lot and for a few years i rarely suffered breakouts except for when i got my period, wore make up to bed, or ate too much processed food (i know everyone says that food doesnt cause you to break out...but im telling you when i eat junk food...my face looks horrid).

But i clearly grew an immunity to the clindoxyl gel or somthing because afer about 5ish years...it just was not as effective as it was before.

So i started taking birth control since usually my hellish like bad breakouts happen when i get my period so i thought the BC would help control it.....but uh no.

WORST ACNE OF MY LIFE! i broke out in places on my face that i had never even seen acne on before. and the zits were way more red, way bigger, and hurt 20 times more than they used too.

So after 2 months on Alesse (oh and dont get me started on how the birth control made my periods horrible, increased my appetite, made me tired, moody, just...dont ever take this birth control, i have yet to meet even one person who has had good results with it) i said screw it and stopped taking it.

Yesterday i began taking Yasmin, and my doctor also gave me Differin and told me to use it with my Clindoxyl gel.

I have to say im terrifed. Ive only taken this birth control for two days but im waiting anxiously too see what it does too my skin. my skin is still in HORRIBLE condition from taking Alesse like...80 percent of my face is covered in acne right now...before i would say it was only 20 percent.

I wash my face with baking soda 3 times a week, i use Clean and clear make up remover (the foaming face wash) and then Clean and Clear advantage (the silver one thats made for acne) face wash before bed and before i put on my Differin as well as a tiny tiny amount of Aveeno moistrizer (just in case)

In the mornings i usually just wash my face with that Netrogena acne pink grapfruit scrub stuff (im horrible with remembering product names), my Clindoxyl gel, and then a little bit of the Clean and Clear advantage (for acne...its silver) moistrizer (its not the spot treatment stuff...its just a llike...cream) before i put on my make up (i use cover girl Clean foundation for oily skin as well as the matching powder and concealer).

Anyone here had a bad experience with Yasmin? and any thoughts as far as my routine goes for my skin, im curious as to what Differin is going to do to my face.

I'm so sorry that you had such a bad experience with Alesse. I really hope that Yasmin helps you. I can relate to something making your acne worse. I didn't do well with retins or antibiotics. I'm trying out the regimen right now. It seems promising, but I know it is too early to tell if it is going to help me or not. If this doesn't work, I'll have to talk to my doctor about birth control. She might not like that because I already have a merina (and I won't give that up). Oh well.

Good luck and I hope your skin recovers quickly.

Watch the baking soda. I've not used it myself because I have read that it can cause problems due to it being alkaline and your skin being a bit acidic. You don't want to upset the natural balance or it can cause problems. Some people try to counteract the alkaline effects by dabbing on apple cider vinegar after the baking soda - idea being to restore the acid mantle. Not sure how successful this is. Anyone else know more?

This is not about the acne.org regimen. Moved to hormonal treatments. Please read the forum headings and descriptions before posting.

Please read the following post on pH and why your skin prefers acidic products. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/pH-import...-p-t144725.html The product you wish to use is alkaline and will damage your acid mantle and increase the risk of breaking out and irritation.

Watch the baking soda. I've not used it myself because I have read that it can cause problems due to it being alkaline and your skin being a bit acidic. You don't want to upset the natural balance or it can cause problems. Some people try to counteract the alkaline effects by dabbing on apple cider vinegar after the baking soda - idea being to restore the acid mantle. Not sure how successful this is. Anyone else know more?

I personally think the damage has already been done. If someone insists on using baking soda, at least mix it WITH apple cider vinegar to improve the pH before it even touches the skin.

I use baking soda to exfoliate with about once a week, then follow with a vinegar/water solution. I really like it. In fact I use the vinegar water daily after I wash.

I also don't have any active acne anymore either-so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Edited by chinacat

Hey,

I started to break out like crazy after using birth control as well. And I was clear as hell before that. I have been trying different types of birth control for 1 year now: from Implanon, microgynon 30, something else that I don't remember and now I'm on Mercilon- which is a low-dosed type of pills.

Anyway, I was so fed up with trying the pills and waiting "at least 3 months" for my body to settle down that I decided to try Dan's regimen and decided to live with Mercilon. So far so good, it has been 2 months. My face isn't completely clear, and I blame that on my poor routine. But my forehead is completely clear now (it was horrendous!) and the red marks are starting to fade on my cheeks. So yes, I think Mercilon suits me very well, along with the help of bp.

Bottom line, why don't you go on Dan's regimen? In fact, do you really need to use birth control at all? It "might" help, but it also messed up with hormone. Plus you're only 16. I think it's better to let your body settle down on its own. Meanwhile you can always use Dan's regimen. At least Dan's only affects your skin externally. So you can always stop and it wouldn't take time for your body to "settle down".

Hope it helps.

Sarah-hope, Dan's regimen has worked wonders for me, so maybe you should give it a go like hypnokim suggests? Good luck. :D

Edited by Ellie713