Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BeadyB

Does anyone know any ties between alcohol and acne?

Well, to get to the point. I'm a drinker. Not at an alcoholic unable to function level, but I drink several times a week. I was wondering if anyone knows of specific research that links alcohol and acne.

I mostly drink red wine.

(My skin is clear because of b/c and a good topical, but I was still wondering nonetheless..)

My sister drinks all the time and she had cystic (so she claims) acne. Her diet is pretty bad too. She is currently using amoxicillin along with birth control and she is completely clear. I'm not sure what she plans on doing in the long run, though. It would be very difficult to pinpoint the cause of my sister's acne considering her lifestyle. If you are the same way, you probably won't know for sure unless you are on an elimination diet. Diet affects hormones and birth control regulates hormones so there is most likely some connection.

Well... if you have a gluten sensitivity, gluten based products products will cause trouble. A lot of alcoholic products have gluten, but the alcohol itself is not the harm.

Also, if your liver is not functioning at its best it could, theoretically, have a lot to with acne. But you can't know for sure unless you stop drinking alcohol.

You might also be eating lots of bad stuff while drunk, which could cause breakouts.

Personally, I don't think alcohol intake has much - if anything - to do with acne. And I don't drink at all myself, so I'm not speaking for drinking. But if it was me I would test it out. Stop drinking for a month and see if there's a difference. If there is, well then you found the cause of your problems. If not, then at least you know and don't have to think about it anymore. A month goes by fast, so it should be easily accomplished. You just have to find something else to do, like visiting family, watching movies, gaming, doing social stuff that doesn't include drinking. Not too hard.

I'm a tee-totaler myself, and would advise giving alcohol a break as well. My acne did seem to be less of a problem when I have been off it.

There has been no direct research linking the two (i.e. alcohol intake and acne) but my overall diet has certainly improved because of it as I have cut out all the crap I used to eat when I'd have a drinking session.

No, alcohol is great for your health. I saw all these beautiful people on TV drinking it so it must be healthy.

Edited by uncle buck

No one here is saying its healthy. Just discussing its potential effects on acne and personal experiences..