Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
User140206

Tretinoin, huge breakout T_T

Hello, I discovered acne.org quite some time ago, but starting today I'm officially a member of the acne.org community,, please treat me well *bows*

Just kidding XD

I apologise for my english, it's not my native language (I only speak dutch and vietnamese).

Some background info:

I'm a 18 years old vietnamese girl born in The Netherlands. I have been dealing with acne since I was about eleven. Only mild acne though, so it has never been a real problem until recently. I was even clear for three whole months! My self-esteem got high big time during that time, to wake up without a single pimple is like winning the lottery (not that I have ever won before, but that is how I think it would feel if it were to happen). Anyways those were beautiful days.

I used bp for quite some time, but somehow it stopped working, (@[email protected])/ my face would get red and irritated but the pimples won't go away. So my family doctor had me switched to Inderm/Erytromycin, worked great, it's the product that got me clear for several months. Some months ago I ran out of Inderm and decided that I don't need it anymore. Soon after that I got little comedones/clogged pores/whiteheads. My family doctor gave me tretinoin cream 0.05%, without giving me a decent explanation of how it works (-____-)/

My face got red and so dry that even laughing would hurt. And I got little comedones/clogged pores/whiteheads ALL OVER MY FACE. I freaked out so I stopped, that was only after 8 days of using it. My family doctor prescribed me tretinoin cream 0.02% which I'm still using, it has been exactly 1 month. Luckily, my face doesn't get red and dry anymore, it does peel (but only very little), I noticed a decrease in clogged pores on my forehead, but an increase on my cheeks. I wonder if this is the purging phase? And should I leave them alone? Because sometimes I have the urge to pick at them and 2 things could happen 1: it transforms in a little pimple, 2: a hard sebum plug falls out and leaves a little hole :ninja: .

In week 3/4 I got a HUGE break out,, lots of inflamed pimples mainly on my chin and cheeks. Is this the initial breakout? My derm prescribed me minocycline, which I have been taking for 3 days, but I know that it's too soon to notice any effect yet. Right know my face couldn't look any worser (T_T) It's hard because I'm the only one of my friends still dealing with this issue. I understand that tretinoin causes the skin to purge, but I don't get how it would get rid of my comedones/clogged pores/whiteheads/little bumps (whatever the name is). Because it seems to cause more of those comedones instead of fighting them off. Some of those comedones would turn in pimples, and I wonder does that have to happen in order for them to disappear? If that would be the case, my face would become a total warzone (>_<). And is it normal to break out in pustules, because I haven't got that problem in a long time. I have been using tretinoin for 1 month and I plan on giving it 2 months more. I don't think I have the confidence to use it more than 4 months if my face doesn't get better. My biggest nightmare would be: it gets worse and stays worse instead of getting better :( Are there any members here who have experience with tretinoin-minocycline regime? If so, please share your experiences :)

Sorry for my long post

(=_=)

Hi people, I hope you don't mind I give an awnser in Dutch real quick ;-)

Hey Mimini, het kan inderdaad gebeuren dat je rond de derde week last krijgt van pukkels. Heb je het topic gelezen: 'Info about retinoids and the initial breakout'? Daar staat precies in beschreven wat je kunt verwachten. Ik hoop voor je dat de mino snel aanslaat! Sterkte! Trouwens 18 is niet zo'n gekke leeftijd om nog steeds pukkels te hebben hoor, ik ben zelf 26...

Hi- yes that sounds like the initial breakout. Hang in there! Things might get really bad but your skin will look much better in a couple months. Also the antibiotic should help you a lot!

While you're still so early in the course, ask your doctor to switch you to the tretinoin gel as the cream has a very comedogenic ingredient, isopropyl myristate.

Hi people, I hope you don't mind I give an awnser in Dutch real quick ;-)

Hey Mimini, het kan inderdaad gebeuren dat je rond de derde week last krijgt van pukkels. Heb je het topic gelezen: 'Info about retinoids and the initial breakout'? Daar staat precies in beschreven wat je kunt verwachten. Ik hoop voor je dat de mino snel aanslaat! Sterkte! Trouwens 18 is niet zo'n gekke leeftijd om nog steeds pukkels te hebben hoor, ik ben zelf 26...

Hoi Weelassie :) bedankt voor je antwoord, ik heb het gelezen en zover klopt het wat ik mee maak. Als het goed is maak ik nu een IB mee (helaas >_>),vandaar de comedonen/whiteheads en pukkels. Dankjewel, ik voel me al wat gerustgesteld. Hopelijk duurt het niet lang en komt het nog goed met mijn huid.

Ik ben je eerder tegen gekomen, op een nederlandse forum. Ben daar geen member van, maar ik las gewoon mee. Hoe gaat het met je? Want ik had begrepen uit het forum dat het niet zo goed met je ging :(.

Veel succes in je strijd tegen acne. Wat droom ik toch van de dag dat ik het van de daken kan afschreeuwen dat ik er vergoed vanaf ben *droomt verder*

While you're still so early in the course, ask your doctor to switch you to the tretinoin gel as the cream has a very comedogenic ingredient, isopropyl myristate.

Hey Wynne,, thank you for your answer. I've read that before, that the cream can be comedogenic. But isn't it strange that my derm would prescribe it to me as an acne patient? (O.o)

Hi- yes that sounds like the initial breakout. Hang in there! Things might get really bad but your skin will look much better in a couple months. Also the antibiotic should help you a lot!

thanks pinkstarlett, i have a little more faith now :)

Hey Wynne,, thank you for your answer. I've read that before, that the cream can be comedogenic. But isn't it strange that my derm would prescribe it to me as an acne patient? (O.o)

Well...derms are human, too, believe it or not. ;) I am sure it was an honest misunderstanding on his/her part. Sometimes patients tend to research specific things so exhaustively they're able to inform their docs. Docs have to know such a huge, broad range of meds, illnesses, symptoms....I'm sure it is extremely easy to not know ALL the ingredients in everything. Heck, how could they? They'd be superhuman then. :P

Well...derms are human, too, believe it or not. ;) I am sure it was an honest misunderstanding on his/her part. Sometimes patients tend to research specific things so exhaustively they're able to inform their docs. Docs have to know such a huge, broad range of meds, illnesses, symptoms....I'm sure it is extremely easy to not know ALL the ingredients in everything. Heck, how could they? They'd be superhuman then. :P

I have looked it up and it seems that mine does not contain that ingredient.

//Het werkzame bestanddeel is: Tretinoïne

Andere bestanddelen (hulpstoffen) zijn: ethanol, butylhydroxytolueen,

ethylmethylketon, cetomacrogolwas, cetiol V, sorbitol, sorbinezuur en water//.

It's dutch but I don't see that ingredient listed, so it's safe to say that mine is not comedogenic. I hope O.o

I will use it for 2 months longer to see if it works, since I'm in the middle of the IB now, it's hard to stop XD

pfff...

The day where I wake up and see a beautiful face with no bumps and pimples will come

must stay strong .(T^T).

It would be nice if superhumans do exist XD

Yes, it sounds like that is a safe cream then. :) You are experiencing the initial breakout. Someone above mentioned the thread about retinoids and the initial breakout.

here's my blurb about it:

Please read the following post on how topical retinoids work and why patience and perseverance is required when using topical retinoids: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Info-reti...ial-t98395.html Please also realize that at least three months on the medication is required for noticing full benefit. You may experience an 'initial breakout' (explained in previous link) that's due to the purging effect of retinoids.

And here's my comedogenic websites blurb:

The following two links are to websites that list comedogenic ingredients. You can research the ingredients in your product(s) and determine if any might be problematic. The second link is to a PDF so if your computer is old or cranky, your computer might freeze. Remember that the further down on the list of ingredients, the less percentage of that ingredient is in the product. So a comedogenic ingredient that is in the last half of an ingredient list may or may not cause you problems. http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist

http://facerealityskincare.com/img/Pore%20...Skin%20Care.pdf

Mimini, your experience sounds pretty identical to mine when I was on tretinoin cream. My skin went from mild to moderate in a matter of weeks... and it lasted months. I started seeing results at about 4 months, though I was far from clear. Since then, I've switched to Differin because I found the tretinoin was still irritating my skin after all that time. If your skin is anything like mine, it's too stubborn to work within the alotted 12 weeks, and it will most likely take longer. But I hope it works for you!

Hello, I discovered acne.org quite some time ago, but starting today I'm officially a member of the acne.org community,, please treat me well *bows*

Just kidding XD

I apologise for my english, it's not my native language (I only speak dutch and vietnamese).

Some background info:

I'm a 18 years old vietnamese girl born in The Netherlands. I have been dealing with acne since I was about eleven. Only mild acne though, so it has never been a real problem until recently. I was even clear for three whole months! My self-esteem got high big time during that time, to wake up without a single pimple is like winning the lottery (not that I have ever won before, but that is how I think it would feel if it were to happen). Anyways those were beautiful days.

I used bp for quite some time, but somehow it stopped working, (@[email protected])/ my face would get red and irritated but the pimples won't go away. So my family doctor had me switched to Inderm/Erytromycin, worked great, it's the product that got me clear for several months. Some months ago I ran out of Inderm and decided that I don't need it anymore. Soon after that I got little comedones/clogged pores/whiteheads. My family doctor gave me tretinoin cream 0.05%, without giving me a decent explanation of how it works (-____-)/

My face got red and so dry that even laughing would hurt. And I got little comedones/clogged pores/whiteheads ALL OVER MY FACE. I freaked out so I stopped, that was only after 8 days of using it. My family doctor prescribed me tretinoin cream 0.02% which I'm still using, it has been exactly 1 month. Luckily, my face doesn't get red and dry anymore, it does peel (but only very little), I noticed a decrease in clogged pores on my forehead, but an increase on my cheeks. I wonder if this is the purging phase? And should I leave them alone? Because sometimes I have the urge to pick at them and 2 things could happen 1: it transforms in a little pimple, 2: a hard sebum plug falls out and leaves a little hole :ninja: .

In week 3/4 I got a HUGE break out,, lots of inflamed pimples mainly on my chin and cheeks. Is this the initial breakout? My derm prescribed me minocycline, which I have been taking for 3 days, but I know that it's too soon to notice any effect yet. Right know my face couldn't look any worser (T_T) It's hard because I'm the only one of my friends still dealing with this issue. I understand that tretinoin causes the skin to purge, but I don't get how it would get rid of my comedones/clogged pores/whiteheads/little bumps (whatever the name is). Because it seems to cause more of those comedones instead of fighting them off. Some of those comedones would turn in pimples, and I wonder does that have to happen in order for them to disappear? If that would be the case, my face would become a total warzone (>_<). And is it normal to break out in pustules, because I haven't got that problem in a long time. I have been using tretinoin for 1 month and I plan on giving it 2 months more. I don't think I have the confidence to use it more than 4 months if my face doesn't get better. My biggest nightmare would be: it gets worse and stays worse instead of getting better :( Are there any members here who have experience with tretinoin-minocycline regime? If so, please share your experiences :)

Sorry for my long post

(=_=)

Yes, it sounds like that is a safe cream then. :) You are experiencing the initial breakout. Someone above mentioned the thread about retinoids and the initial breakout.

here's my blurb about it:

Please read the following post on how topical retinoids work and why patience and perseverance is required when using topical retinoids: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Info-reti...ial-t98395.html Please also realize that at least three months on the medication is required for noticing full benefit. You may experience an 'initial breakout' (explained in previous link) that's due to the purging effect of retinoids.

And here's my comedogenic websites blurb:

The following two links are to websites that list comedogenic ingredients. You can research the ingredients in your product(s) and determine if any might be problematic. The second link is to a PDF so if your computer is old or cranky, your computer might freeze. Remember that the further down on the list of ingredients, the less percentage of that ingredient is in the product. So a comedogenic ingredient that is in the last half of an ingredient list may or may not cause you problems. http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist

http://facerealityskincare.com/img/Pore%20...Skin%20Care.pdf

Thanks Wynne for your comedogenic websites :), these will definitely come in handy because I need to buy an other moisturizer since mine does not moisturize enough and makes me greasy fairly quick. (>_>)

Mimini, your experience sounds pretty identical to mine when I was on tretinoin cream. My skin went from mild to moderate in a matter of weeks... and it lasted months. I started seeing results at about 4 months, though I was far from clear. Since then, I've switched to Differin because I found the tretinoin was still irritating my skin after all that time. If your skin is anything like mine, it's too stubborn to work within the alotted 12 weeks, and it will most likely take longer. But I hope it works for you!

Hey Fourfivesix, it's pretty scary how fast skin can change in a short period of time, I almost regret starting tretinoin, (T^T), my skin is not really irritated from the 0.02% so that's a good sign I hope O.o, I hope that my breakout won't last that long, were you also on antibiotics during your initial breakout of tretinoin? If so, did it help with your breakout?

Wishing you good luck in getting beautiful clear skin :)

Hey Fourfivesix, it's pretty scary how fast skin can change in a short period of time, I almost regret starting tretinoin, (T^T), my skin is not really irritated from the 0.02% so that's a good sign I hope O.o, I hope that my breakout won't last that long, were you also on antibiotics during your initial breakout of tretinoin? If so, did it help with your breakout?

Wishing you good luck in getting beautiful clear skin :)

Yeah I kind of regretted it too. But honestly, if my skin does finally clear up (soon I'm hoping) it would be worth it. When I first started tretinoin, I took doxycycline everyday, but it did absolutely nothing to help with my breakouts. I've just started taking minocycline though, so hopefully that'll help a little more.

Hoi Weelassie :) bedankt voor je antwoord, ik heb het gelezen en zover klopt het wat ik mee maak. Als het goed is maak ik nu een IB mee (helaas >_>),vandaar de comedonen/whiteheads en pukkels. Dankjewel, ik voel me al wat gerustgesteld. Hopelijk duurt het niet lang en komt het nog goed met mijn huid.

Ik ben je eerder tegen gekomen, op een nederlandse forum. Ben daar geen member van, maar ik las gewoon mee. Hoe gaat het met je? Want ik had begrepen uit het forum dat het niet zo goed met je ging :(.

Veel succes in je strijd tegen acne. Wat droom ik toch van de dag dat ik het van de daken kan afschreeuwen dat ik er vergoed vanaf ben *droomt verder*

Hey Mimini, klopt, ik ben ook lid van een Nederlands forum onder dezelfde naam. Het gaat inderdaad niet al te best. De acne is inmiddels wel wat minder maar ik heb er veel rode vlekken aan overgehouden en zelfs een paar putjes (wat ik nog het allerergst vind...). Hoop dat het allemaal weer bijtrekt (gebruik Differin). Hoop ook voor je dat die IB niet te lang duurt. Gelukkig heb je mino gekregen om dat proces wat te ondersteunen. Probeer wel van de pukkels af te blijven want je huid wordt heel kwetsbaar door retinoiden waardoor het uitknijpen van een simpel pukkeltje kan eindigen in een enorme schaafwond met alle gevolgen van dien...

Hey Mimini, klopt, ik ben ook lid van een Nederlands forum onder dezelfde naam. Het gaat inderdaad niet al te best. De acne is inmiddels wel wat minder maar ik heb er veel rode vlekken aan overgehouden en zelfs een paar putjes (wat ik nog het allerergst vind...). Hoop dat het allemaal weer bijtrekt (gebruik Differin). Hoop ook voor je dat die IB niet te lang duurt. Gelukkig heb je mino gekregen om dat proces wat te ondersteunen. Probeer wel van de pukkels af te blijven want je huid wordt heel kwetsbaar door retinoiden waardoor het uitknijpen van een simpel pukkeltje kan eindigen in een enorme schaafwond met alle gevolgen van dien...

Hoi Weelassie, ik merk inderdaad dat mijn huid ontzettend kwetsbaar is geworden. Tis echt moeilijk om van die pukkels af te blijven, vooral de laatste paar weken, nu heb ik naast pukkels ook nog es rode vlekken :wall: arrrghhh wat n frustrerend proces

what are you cleansing and mosturizing with? This can really make or break your problem. Over cleansing or not enough moisturizing can make matters worse. Also if you can, try an antibiotic solution in the morning like Clyndamycin and then apply moisturizer. Personally for me, oral antibiotics like doxycycline has done nothing to help with breakouts. As someone who has used trentinoin I have to say that I prefer differin, which was just more affective for me.

what are you cleansing and mosturizing with? This can really make or break your problem. Over cleansing or not enough moisturizing can make matters worse. Also if you can, try an antibiotic solution in the morning like Clyndamycin and then apply moisturizer. Personally for me, oral antibiotics like doxycycline has done nothing to help with breakouts. As someone who has used trentinoin I have to say that I prefer differin, which was just more affective for me.

Heey Mboona (:

Well I don't think that I'm overcleasing and not enough moisturizing my skin, and my products are nonclogging. I'm going to the derm soon and hopefully she'll describe me something to fight those nasty pimples. Did you get an IB when you switched to differin, and was it bad? I truly hope that tretinoin will work for me (T_T)/ but I'm not near the 3months mark yet, so we'll see.

Heey Mboona (:

Well I don't think that I'm overcleasing and not enough moisturizing my skin, and my products are nonclogging. I'm going to the derm soon and hopefully she'll describe me something to fight those nasty pimples. Did you get an IB when you switched to differin, and was it bad? I truly hope that tretinoin will work for me (T_T)/ but I'm not near the 3months mark yet, so we'll see.

Overcleansing doesn't have anything to do with non clogging. Sometimes certain chemicals will irritate the skin causing the walls of your skin cells to break and oil gets trapped and thus acne. My first time using tretinoin, I did get a pretty bad breakout, but it was within the first month and things went up hill from there. The reason i switched was because tretinoin after a year stopped working on my chin. I just more recently started using differin on one side of my face and tomorrow will mark the third week. The initial breakout was not that severe (knock on wood) and it only occured in my specific trouble area. But i had just about the biggest pimple I've ever had though. My problem is that i dont get many pimples- when I do they are huge and last over a week to a week and a half and are full of pus and blood. I mean they are HUGE. the left side of my face stays clear though. Anyways, when I switched from tretinoin to differin on my chin, I did get a pimple or two, but that was evident to me that differin was just working.

Are you still experiencing new breakouts after 2 months?

And the reason why I asked about moisturizing was because you mentioned your face was super dry. You should never let it go dry like that.

Edited by mboona

Heey Mboona (:

Overcleansing doesn't have anything to do with non clogging. Sometimes certain chemicals will irritate the skin causing the walls of your skin cells to break and oil gets trapped and thus acne. My first time using tretinoin, I did get a pretty bad breakout, but it was within the first month and things went up hill from there. The reason i switched was because tretinoin after a year stopped working on my chin. I just more recently started using differin on one side of my face and tomorrow will mark the third week. The initial breakout was not that severe (knock on wood) and it only occured in my specific trouble area. But i had just about the biggest pimple I've ever had though. My problem is that i dont get many pimples- when I do they are huge and last over a week to a week and a half and are full of pus and blood. I mean they are HUGE. the left side of my face stays clear though. Anyways, when I switched from tretinoin to differin on my chin, I did get a pimple or two, but that was evident to me that differin was just working.

Are you still experiencing new breakouts after 2 months?

And the reason why I asked about moisturizing was because you mentioned your face was super dry. You should never let it go dry like that.

Heey Mboona, I'm just in week 6 of using tretinoin. I'm not sure anymore about my cleanser and moisturizer so I will ask my derm if she can recommend some good products. The thing is that my face isn't dry anymore since I switched to a lower strength, it's even more oilier than normal (O.O). The pimples that I get are way bigger than in the past, also full of pus and blood, it's freaking me out. Thanks for the advice, I'm go to see my derm this friday and I hope that things go uphill from there.