Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jjmrpg04

Choppy, blotchy, even rough/scaley complexion

I have been on the regimen for about 7 months total (only about 3 months on my lower face), and my forehead looks MUCH better than it did when I first started treating it 7 months ago. In fact, it looks almost completely normal. Red spots have diminished almost completely, and skin seems to absorb all products much more easily with way less effort and never gets red or irritated. The bottom part of my face, however, I feel looks horrendous at times. Like I said, I have only been treating it for about 3 months, (unlike my forehead, which again has been 7 months) however it looks really kind of rough, choppy, blotchy, red, and even kind of scaly at times. It's pretty ugly. I mean, I think I'm a decent looking guy despite all the skin complications, but this is like ugh.

HOWEVER, '

the bottom half of my face IS clear. There aren't visible zits or whiteheads or anything. But still, the red choppy and rough complexion is pretty gross. I am guessing a lot of it is caked on dead skin. Often it looks like I am getting a zit in certain places, but I use the AHA regularly, so what I thought may have been a zit never really turns out to be one. That being said, I am guessing it's just areas that have built up more dead skin. I mean, I know there must be a decent amount of it because when I use the AHA, I can physically see what looks like dead skin come off of my face. And if the slightly more elevated red patches aren't actually zits, what else would they be?

If you know or believe this to be the case; is this ever going to even out? And also, should I use...more AHA maybe? I mean, I think I remember going through this same thing with my forehead, but that was such a nightmare and in of itself that I kind of blocked some of it out. I remember it being clear but looking pretty shabby at times. I hope that's what's going on the with the bottom portion of my face. It's nice to have clear skin but ugly complexion isn't a great trade off. Please, give me your thoughts or similar experiences.

I have never experienced dead skin to this extent while on the regimen, but then again I dont use AHA. However, have you trying exfoliating very gently with Jojoba Oil? There is a sticky here on it: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/problems-...in-t162645.html

The only possibility I can think of that the patchy red spots are possibly scarring from past breakouts, and they may be dried out and flaking/patchy skin. It is really hard to tell you what the spots are without seeing them.

I wish I could be more helpful. Good luck.

Edited by smurfo9

its highly doubtful that its scars from past acne since ive only ever had very mild acne. it rly only got aweful for a bit on my forehead because i had what the dermatologist thought to be a staff infection. the lower part of my face had only broken out often enough that i wanted to treat it. never did i have acne bad enough for scaring. i wouldnt even describe most of them as "spots". It just seems to be kind of.... off in terms of texture as well as inconsistent color. Like i said, blotchy, patchy, kind of dry and irritated....not broken out tho. no whiteheads, no zits. my pores are clearly open and pretty clean in terms of appearance. its just.. rough and patchy. dont know how else to describe it

umm, have you been picking your face? TELL THE TRUTH!

p,s, not saying ur lying

sleep early

and dont stop BP! even though u feel down!

---experienced what ur experiencing

Nope definitely not. Nothing to pick rly. I know for sure some of it is a dead skin problem cause some days after using aha it looks much better And smoother. I think I'm just struggling finding the right frequency to exfoliate. Some days my face looks smoother and less red and sometimes it looks more red and rougher. I think my face is just getting used to it still. I remember loving and hating the aha on my forehead at first because despite it giving me a smoother complexion, it sometimes over irritates and my skin and makes it red. Then if I slow down use, my face gets rough and choppy again. Like I said, I'm pretty sure my face is still adjusting and I'm still finding a good balance for aha frequency and amount. My forehead is damn near perfect after about 5 months of struggling but I remember thinking it'd never look good again. Thus, I can only hope my lower face adjusts too.

Guest Timehealsall

p,s, not saying ur lying

sleep early

although sleepying early can help with skin conditions, my derm and many other derms i have asked have actually said that as lon gas you get enough sleep, the time of when you go to sleep shouldnt really matter.

p,s, not saying ur lying

sleep early

although sleepying early can help with skin conditions, my derm and many other derms i have asked have actually said that as lon gas you get enough sleep, the time of when you go to sleep shouldnt really matter.

oH really? thanks! so as long as u get 8-10 hours your good to go? right?