Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PaulyD

FRAXEL TREATMENT JUST CAUSED SCARRING

Early this morning I had my 6th and what was supposed to be my final restore session. I had 5 sessions to treat acne scarring and they pretty much did jack shit besides smooth out some non-scarred skin and improve the scar redness to some degree. After about the 3rd treatment I started getting brown hyper pigmentation and mainly on areas that I DIDN'T have scars. I TOLD MY FUCKING DOCTOR just fraxel the scars and I would always point out where and to LEAVE THE NORMAL SKIN ALONE. Like a dickhead, he would fraxel without considering what I said and even lasered areas that hadnt been numbed and it hurt like hell.

Now after my 6th fraxel I have a one inch long scar and again, on an area that didnt have scarring but was treated because it was hyperpigmentated from the previous treatments.

I have attached a pic of the scar. I rang the doc and emailed a pic and apparently "it's nothing. It'll go away". I have never seen/read/heard about anyone getting this kind of side effect and I find it hard to believe that it's nothing and will go away. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK???

Seriously, what the fuck I hate everthing.

Edited by Buddy Franklin

it looks like a raised scar which can be gotten rid of using silicone sheets for a few months.

i cant help but ask - why on earth did you keep going back for the same treatment if you felt it wasnt working?

yeah it is slightly raised... I went back because I read that you need atleast 5 restore treatments on the highest setting for scar improvement. After the 4th treatment I realised that it wasnt going to happen but thought just do the 5th one and maybe it'll improve the redness if anything but by then the pigmentation really started going from mild to moderate. The 6th one I thought there'd hardly be any risk because it'd be on a low setting JUST for the pigmentation.

Honestly how does restore on a lower setting even cause such a scar??? I can understand how it does it. I fucking hate how I have to go from treating scars to hyperpigmentation and scars to hyperpigmentation, acne scars and fraxel scars. What a joke seriously.

it looks like a raised scar which can be gotten rid of using silicone sheets for a few months.

i cant help but ask - why on earth did you keep going back for the same treatment if you felt it wasnt working?

Silicone sheet?? Havent heard of them. Are they expensive? Do it at home or what?

:'(

Guest Timehealsall

to be honest, I think it looks badass.

But i am sure you can reduce the appearance of it (kelo kote maybe?)

Sorry to hear about the scarring. I did fraxel repair about a year ago and not only did I end up with new and deeper acne-like scars, I ended up with this weird raised scar under my eye. It looked like a teeny, tiny flat raisin...not as dark though. I pointed it out to my doctor in a post op and he said it would go away as my skin naturally exfoliates and sheds the dead skin. Well, a year later, that weird scar is a bit flatter and lighter but I still have it. It's not a big deal because I have some sun spots and I can pretend it's just another sunspot but I'd bring up the issue with your doctor because in my experience, it didn't completely go away. At least not within a year.

silicone strips arent expensive. its about $30 or $40 for the strip and if you choose a good brand, you can keep reusing them over and over again. the single use ones have their own adhesive (to hold them to the skin), but if you purchase a reusable one, you will need to buy your own tape to hold it down. the key is to wear it for as many hours as possible for around 3-4 months. the less hours you wear it each day, the longer the process tends to take. since yours is on your face, perhaps you should wear it when you get home each day and simply wear it all night and only take it off when you need to leave the house. a good reusable brand is rejuveness.

i realise timehealsall also has a raised scar on his face, so the same really applies to him.

i dont think the badass thing is really a positive. a scar is a scar at the end of the day...plus WHY is looking badass a good thing? surely youd like to look like a goodass when applying for jobs etc :) ESP in Melb and Syd. its not Harlem, the Bronx or another gang filled area where looking badass is a good quality.

i'm intrigued by these silicone strips. thanks for the info on them. would you happen to have any suggestions as to a good single use brand?

and regarding the scar looking badass...my boyfriend wants a scar like that on his face so he could look tough. he has such nice skin and he wants a scar?!? he can have all my scars. but i thought that comment was funny.

My doctor told me not to touch the scars or use anything... Any way I can't use anything for the next 2 weeks because my skin is always so messed up after fraxel. The worst part about this all is that i came to reduce scarring and walked out with more issues and the second worst thing is that I feel so helpless.

Gimme, I read up about silicone strips, some reviews say that it does absolutely nothing? Are you recommended them from personal experience?

Guest Timehealsall

hey gimme, regarding the silicone sheets. i went to a derm recently and he said they are healing pimples and reccomends me to just leave them alone for a few months. i think they are getting flatter, so i probably will wait a few months and whatnot.

Regarding the badass thing, i mean badass as in ray liotta or brad pitt type badass scarring .I mean lets be honest, there is no way to get rid of scars. obviously not everyone wants to look or be badass, but i was trying to make the OP feel better because in all honesty, that scar looks pretty cool.

Anyways, i have a similar one (except its not raised) on my cheek and i hate it as well. But i am just telling myself that it makes me look badass (lmao).

I am not going to lie though, having rough skin from acne + naturally oily skin sucks big time.

My doctor told me not to touch the scars or use anything... Any way I can't use anything for the next 2 weeks because my skin is always so messed up after fraxel. The worst part about this all is that i came to reduce scarring and walked out with more issues and the second worst thing is that I feel so helpless.

Gimme, I read up about silicone strips, some reviews say that it does absolutely nothing? Are you recommended them from personal experience?

no mate, i havent used them, but ive read many positive reviews from derms, plastic surgeons and users on here. so it has two very big positives 1) its endorced by professionals and medical journals and 2) its cheap. so cheap in fact that it should probably be most peoples first line of treatment for this kind of scarring. i recommend you do your own research and come to your own conclusions.

i cannot help but think the people who didnt see results just didnt give it enough time. no one on here seems to try very hard and theres no doubt they didnt wear it for the recommended 15-20 hours per day for the several months it was recommended. then again, who would!

i suppose if you dont have that amount of time or dont mind spending a lot more money, simply go for another treatment option. since its a burn scar and not caused by any natural tendency for keloid scarring (unless you have more you havent mentioned), i dont think docs would have a problem treating it...as the possibility developing more keloid scarring is unlikely.

anyhoo, since its your treatment, i trusty you will do all the necessary research :)

ps. i think your derm doesnt want you to use anything since your skin is sensitive. silicone isnt really harsh on the skin and is actually beneficial to the skin. if anything, youd want to target it whilst the scar tissue is still forming...it might mean you might get quicker results.

Hey Gimme, I just looked up some more and there's a website called makemeheal.com. They have silicone gel and things like that. I guess if I start treating it with silicone gel and keloid cream 3 weeks from now it'll have some sort of improvement. Oh God, my whole life has really been taken hostage by scarring.

Im SO sorry that this has happened to you.

I know how devastating it is to have hope and then see all hope fade as you are left with NEW problems. I know how it feels to have an expensive procedure done, only to have permanant damage.

I have not personally had fraxel, and so cannot speak from experience about your condition.

(Im even more glad I trusted my gut and turned down free treatments!)

Sigh.... Pm me I have more info to share.

Adella.

Yeah I feel sorry for myself now. Thousands of dollars gone and a new scar and hyperpigmentation. It's just so disappointing. Now I have a scar on the rare part of my face that didnt have scarring. I woke up this morning hoping the scar faded a little but it's more obvious then it was yesterday. Very upsetting.

Hey Buddy. I feel your pain, seriously! I had laser done about 3 months ago and it seems to have made my scars a little wider. I went to a reputable doctor, (Dr Goodman) here in Melb who has a great reputation and I was so excited but I am now a little disappointed. It's disheartening when you look forward to seeing a little bit of an improvement and it doesn't go that way. The rest of my skin is looking great but the scarring seems a little worse.