Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jeffree

Going on Accutane soon, I have a question!

So I've read about the severe dryness that comes with taking Accutane, and I haven't found a single person that says they didn't experience it while on the drug.

My question is this: Is the dryness horrible? Is it hindering? I already stay in the house an unhealthy amount of time because of how much acne I have, but if that starts to go away and my skin is peeling badly, that's just another reason to stay and hide.

Is it possible to wear makeup while on Accutane, or is the dryness too bad? Anyone who knows makeup knows how gross it looks if you're dry underneath your foundation

i was so scared about the whole dryness but it was defiantly not as bad as i thought if u make sure to use a good moisturizer and are deligent about it. make sure u moisturize ur face, neck, chest, and arms. especially arms/face.

before my first course of accutane (and i guess my second course now) my skin was VERY oily. maybe thats why my dryness wasn't too bad on tane. and on the my first course i was on a pretty high dose but still dryness wasn't bad... i was able to wear makeup. the application is more difficult but u can figure it out.

for face, i recommend cerave. right now i am also trying out josie maran argan oil. google it and ull read info on it. so far its awesome. i add a few drops to my cerave morning and night and its great. it helps redness and dryness and it also helps hyperpigmentation and redmarks! and acne! its worth looking into.

if u really moisturize and are serious about it ull be fine. drink lots of water too

i experienced dry skin very bad dry skin where i had breakouts due to accutane. It was hindering i have stayed home for most of the time ive been on this shit. (3 months). it is getting better u need to apply a lot of cetaphil lotion before putting on make up sometimes it doesnt help you just have to deal with it. a humidifier helps, and taking vitamin e everyday .

i had a question too, people say accutane is only for people with oily skin. i have severe acne but i dont have oily skin, will accutane make my skin super dry? i will be applying moisturizer everyday just incase

Hehe, that was my concern as well but my dermatologist said oil isn't a requirement for Accutane. I don't have oily skin at all AND i live in a dry climate. The only time that I felt dryness was when I didn't apply moisturizer, then my face felt like rubber, no cracking, rashes or anything dramatic like that though. :o. But if you apply moisturizer you'll be fine. Promise :)

Moisturize everywhere. My whole body got pretty dry, bearable though, and eczema on my hands came and went during my entire treatment.

to be honest, the dryness was way worse than i expected. It became painful to smile and people would make comments about "why is there white stuff (dead skin) all over your face?" i eventually found a really good moisturizer that i put on everyday right after showering that makes the dryness no longer a problem. USE MOISTURIZER, and chapstick, and you will be fine. good luck!