Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, I created this account just so I could post a rant about my terrible skin situation. I just need to get this off my chest because it really seems like no one can understand what I am going through! I dont really care if anyone reads this; I just need an outlet!

I am in my early-mid 20s and have had mild/moderate acne since about the age of 13. I don't think I have EVER experienced any significant period of having clear skin. Things started getting especially bad around age 18 - I swear I still have scars left over from a massive breakout I had around the time of my high school graduation!

I have tried a slew of acne creams/face washes/lotions/scar removers and have been using Retin-A for a year + vitamin E night cream to soothe the dryness and I am STILL waiting for things to clear up. Every time I am just about to recover from a break out, I get 5 new pimples the next day. ARGH!!!!

Now, it seems that I have also developed SUPER sensitive skin and am allergic to just about every cosmetic product imaginable. I typically avoid make-up altogether in an attempt to prevent further breakouts, but I just couldn't take it anymore earlier this week and applied some light water-based concealer over my scars. Well guess what, I had a terrible allergic reaction and now my entire face is red and inflamed! I seriously do not feel like going out in public.

I am working in an industry that involves dealing with people on a regular basis and sometimes I feel like nobody will ever really take me seriously because I actually look like a 14 year old (besides acne, I look very young for my age). I look around at my colleagues and I am LITERALLY the only female with anything short of perfectly clear skin.

The other thing about acne is that people really do make judgments about your personal hygiene. I have had complete strangers come up and give me advice on how to wash my face and that I should go see a doctor for some acne medication, WTF!! I am RELIGIOUS about keeping myself clean and this is the response I get.

I really can't stand this! At this point I am nearly resolved to the fact that I may never have the skin I want. In fact, by the time I manage to deal with this acne issue I will probably start developing wrinkles...

Accepting the situation is my best advice. The whole acne situation is a joke its not fair but hell we've got to bite the bullet. Try distracting yourself with other things relax concentrate on things your good at or things you love. Good luck :)

My skin got like that too. And I can confirm people see you younger than you really are- remarks about "teen", general attitude, and I was called "bunny" at dentist`s (thats normal, I dont mind it there) and drug store (literally this week), and this at the time when I already start checking for grey hair.

Have you seen a dermatologist? Please make an appointment. Retin-a is good, thou you didnt say anything about antibiotics, birth control pill and accutane possibilities (I reccommend it).

ya defiantly see a derm. plus they can try and figure what ur allergic to so u can find makeup that won't do these things to ur face. look for products that are oil free and hypo-allegenic.

accutane is defiantly a possibility

I'm going to be 28 in 3 weeks, and people at my work still ask me if I'm a high school work study! I'm sure it's because of my skin, the fact that I'm petite, and I have a baby face. It sucks, because I'm the boss at my work, and am constantly having to defend myself against older men who try to bully me as if I were their daughter/granddaughter.

AND now I have wrinkles!!!!!!! I haven't been clear since I was like 12 and I never was able to experience even for a moment since then, perfect skin. When all of the acne goes away, I will still have other skin issues to deal with. Maybe I should start a wrinkle.org! or variousskinissues.org!

It's amazing that acne was all that I saw when I looked at my face, because now that I'm on the DKR, and they are starting to disappear, OMG!!! Where did those wrinkles/dark eye circles/age spots/scars/PIH/giant pores/clogged pores/KP come from? It's always something to be dissatisfied with. I'm starting to realize that my obsession with acne was really only a symptom of some real issues. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think that I will ever be satisfied with my skin.

I feel you!! ;)