Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Im thinking of getting a magnesium supplement to try and help with my anxiety and nervous/stressed out stomach. Not sure what is best to get though, i have read magnesium oxide is the worst so i dont really want to get that. Which is the best to get and is it better to get one with calcium?

Mag. glycinate is best; up to 400mg per day is good. No need for calcium supp.

I would suggest magnesium oxide which is what I take. I believe most people think other forms absorb better because of their laxative effect which is actually a result of the opposite. I can't claim I know 100% but it works for me.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium/

Oh and you can't really tell at first if you need more calcium or magnesium. You should start with an equal ratio of calcium to magnesium. Don't take more than 500mg calcium at once because it won't absorb.

Most people will do very well on 600 mg each of calcium and magnesium per day, taken in two doses of 300 mg each. If you get muscle cramps you need more magnesium since it relaxes muscles, and it possibly means you need to take less calcium. Calcium and magnesium have left-hand and right-hand receptors on the cells, so they work together. Therefore if you get more cramps and muscle pains on your left side it indicates your calcium intake is either too high or too low, and if you get more cramps and muscle pains on your right side it indicates your magnesium intake is either too high or too low.

If you get muscle cramps, first increase magnesium by 100-150 mg. If that doesn't help, lower calcium by 100-150 mg. Ensure you are also taking vitamin D as recommended - listed under "Vitamins A, D & Omega 3 Daily Amounts" below. Don't expect the cramps to go away in a couple of days, since it can take 5 days or longer for your body to adjust to changes in the amounts

Edited by CheyCheyenne

There are mixed views on how much mag should be taken daily, but from what Ive read it seems to be close to around 600mg-800mg for most adults. That's elemental magnesium.

For anxiety/stress, the best form is most def magnesium TAURATE. It can't be your only source of magnesium though since it does contain taurine, which can make you feel groggy/sleepy in high doses. Then again if you have a deficiency, any form is most likely better than none. You just have to get that corrected.

I would suggest cron-o-meter to figure out your current intake and supplement the rest w/ taurate. If you need to feel in a big gap, then I would also lean towards malate/glycinate or something else that you can easily attain. Some forms are easier to obtain than others and splitting forms can also be costly. So I would probably go with a bulk source if you can find a reliable company. You can also google "vendor name" + "coupon" to find some % off, to help cut costs. Swansons had 13% off your entire order just last week, but they don't have a good bulk product.

Edited by ₫₦å

Woops. For calcium I would go with "Calcium Hydroxyapatite". I wouldn't dose w/ magnesium and stay away from the forms with copper, unless of course you're deficient in that as well.

Then again if you're going to dose calcium, I would also look into D3/k2 MK4/Boron.

Magnesium supplements cause most people to crap lead. Of all the supplements, this one shows the most ill-effects. Look up the Levrone Formula and see the reviews on that. It might be a good supplement but it is filled with magnesium. Anything over 100 mg for me and I have a bathroom battle like no other.