Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stanno

2 weeks in - amazing results already!

On my 16th day today. 50mg daily - 70k - 4 month course planned. My initial breakout started after 3 days and was bad - spots everywhere, including where I'd never had them before (high on the cheekbones), and my face felt like a war-zone.

But this only lasted a few days, and now my skin is better than it's been in many, many years. OK, I've got the dryness & flaking, but even that seems to be slowly improving. If this is a sign of things to come then I'll be overjoyed. Went out this morning without concealer for the first time since I can remember.

Is it unusual to get improvement so quickly? I was prepared to see no improvement for months. Anyway, I'm very happy.

You can quit now. 3 weeks was enough for me to be clear and stay clear.

Unfortunately it's not easy for me to contact my dermatologist. I'm in the UK and it's done through the NHS hospital department. I'm not due to contact them again until 2 months in. If I was to ring up now I'm pretty certain they would say to carry on with the course at least until then.

Please don't take action on advice from the internet before consulting with your dermatologist.

Stopping your course early could affect your chances of relapsing. Studies show that the total cumulative dose is an important factor in this.

Please don't take action on advice from the internet before consulting with your dermatologist.

Stopping your course early could affect your chances of relapsing. Studies show that the total cumulative dose is an important factor in this.

No, I certainly won't stop without approval. The derm department at the hospital have been great and spent 4 years with me trying every option and I won't do anything without their advice.

wow thats great to hear. I hope I will be as fortunate as you. I had my IB day 8 and it pretty much lasted and is still kind of going but lessening. Maybe after this itll be better :)

Just over 3 weeks now and still totally clear - just a few red marks are all that's left of the war-zone. I'm amazed by what's happening here, and how quickly. Even the drying skin is improving with twice-daily moisturising and a lot of chap stick. My stomach feels slightly weird (irregular bowel movements) but apart from that no other side effects as yet.

I'm not going to do a proper log but I'll update this thread occasionally.

Edited by stanno

Just coming up for a month now. Still entirely spot-free and the side-effects are slackening off. Bowels are back to normal, a slight lower back pain has gone and the red and flaking face is easing with moisturising - just the dry lips, cracks at corner of the mouth and slightly dry and bloodshot eyes (contact lens wearer).

I did my 1st endurance cycle event since starting the course on Sunday and my time was slightly better than last year, so no drop off in fitness. I'm very happy with the way things are going!

definatly dont quit... because these next few months your gunna get more spots (im guessing from my experience)

i was on it for around 2 weeks n nomore spots... thought great! then it all went downhill... it was never as bad as the spots i had before but definatly dont quit now what would be the point? yeah roaccutane is a lot of hassle, monthly pregnancy tests (if your a girl) blood tests and having to pop pills every day buttttt.... in the end you'll maybe get 1 or 2 spots a month after the 3rd month of being on it. Of course everyones different, but i dont think that after 3 weeks my skin would have cleared up. If your already on it i wouldnt suggest just taking yourself off because how silly will you look if they come back and you have to go on it again :(

good luck :) it will get harder but its 6 month, for spot free skin or even improved skin its worth it :) just get plenty of vaseline/carmex :)

x

My derm told me this, and it proved true: I would likely see a good improvement in month one, and then flare up in month 2 or 3 when my dosage was raised. Months 4 to 5 is when your skin majorly starts to clear.

Everyone's different, but my derm was right. That's exactly how it went for me.

:)

yes it is not unusual. i got clear results in only a few days. but DO NOT STOP YOUR COURSE. listening to someone on here telling you to do so, yes may have been ok for them, butnot for you if yo havent talked to your derm yet.

No, I won't be stopping. I have a 2-month check in a couple of weeks - don't know whether my dose will increase or stay at 50mg. I'll see what they say but I very much doubt whether they will advise stopping the course or reducing the dose.

how bad was your acne before you started? how old are you?
Edited by stanno

As an aside, once you're done with your course, you might want to try some Vit D if you find less sunlight makes you break out.

Unless you're doing that already. :)

Just come back from my 2-month check (a week early). All good news. Blood tests were more or less the same as at the start so no concerns there. The derm was very pleased with the results and so I came away with the final 2 months supply.

I've now been totally clear for 5 weeks and things just get better and better. The side effects are reducing as my body gets used to the new regime. This is the time of year when I usually get a really bad breakout but not a spot of any description in sight. My facial blackheads which used to be in almost every pore, especially round the nose and mouth, have almost completely disappeared and my skin and hair are no longer oily. In fact I look and feel like a normal person for the first time in my adult life! I can't explain how good that feels - no more self-consciousness or having to use concealer before going out.

The derm says he sees this sort of result regularly. It really can be a miracle cure for many people. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I was full of apprehension after reading scare stories on the internet and put off going on accutane for years. I REALLY regret not doing this sooner, but I'm happy I appear to be finally clear.

Now on week 13 and my skin is still totally clear. That means no acne for 11 weeks! The only downside apart from dry lips and nose-bleeps is a bit of lower back pain and sore hip joints.

Just 3 weeks to go. That means I'll be under the normal cumulative dose at 90mg, but I guess my derm knows what he's doing.

Edited by stanno