Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Edelyn

Any Asians that can give advice????

I was just wondering if there are any Asians in here that can give me some of their thoughts. . . .

. . . because of our olive skin, the scars that are left by acne are darker than our skin color, have you used any products to even out your skin color? If so, what product worked best for you?

. . . has any of you undergone a treatment called Aesthera Isolaz? If so, how many treatments did you have and did you like your results?

. . . which OTC product line have you found to be most useful to your acne?

Thank you for your time!

I was just wondering if there are any Asians in here that can give me some of their thoughts. . . .

. . . because of our olive skin, the scars that are left by acne are darker than our skin color, have you used any products to even out your skin color? If so, what product worked best for you?

. . . has any of you undergone a treatment called Aesthera Isolaz? If so, how many treatments did you have and did you like your results?

. . . which OTC product line have you found to be most useful to your acne?

Thank you for your time!

I'm Korean American, medium skin tone (darker than my mom, but not very dark). I have mostly chin/jawline acne, a sudden break out since mid August. I use 50/50 apple cider vinegar and water as a toner and Finacea to deal with the red marks (I have only about 3-4 active smaller pimples right now, maybe 30 brown/red marks). They're fading slowly.

I try to avoid unnecessary chemicals and I find that I react badly to BP. My face wash is Dessert Essence with Tea Tree oil. At bed time, I spot treat with a sulfur cream (De La Cruz).

I am too cheap to pay spas for something to hasten the red mark fade, especially as acne-prone skin can really freak out with new chemicals.

Good luck. Be patient and be gentle!

Hi Edelyn,

I'm half chinese and my skin is extremely prone to hyperpigmentation. Dealing with red marks is at least half the battle, if not more!

I've always felt familiar and comfortable with Clinique's skin care products, and I appreciate that their US website allows consumers to post reviews of their experiences with Clinique products. Prompted by good reviews, I've used their Turnaround Radiance Peel, a set of 10 peels that you apply once a week for 10 consecutive weeks. It's a 30% glycolic acid peel, and I believe it's the highest level that you can purchase OTC. It definitely stings for the first couple of times that you use it, but gradually your skin becomes habituated and the stinging ceases. Although the initial stinging sounds a bit suspicious, I was surprised that it caused no redness at all. In fact I kind of miss it because it really makes it feel like it's working!

By the 3rd week into my first time using this peel system (about a year after the onset of adult acne at age 22) I was able to comfortably leave the house with only a bit of light powder. This was a momentus event!! At that point I was using some very heavy coverage on the patches of hyperpigmentation left by my breakouts.

I can't seem to find the peel on the US site anymore, but it is still up on the canadian site so it could be that it's been discontinued in the US. If you're interested you could call Clinique to see if there's any available where you are. It's $65 CAD for the 10 week kit.

On a more regular basis, I use Clinique's Even Better Dark Spot Corrector which has gotten rave reviews. I definitely felt like I had a great improvement after finishing my first bottle. I am now on my second bottle and I'm not noticing a great effect, but as my spots are already quite light, it's possible that they've been lightened as much as they can be without the good 'ol time factor.

I will also say that I have used Clinique's Post Blemish Formula and been happy with the results. The downside with this product is that it can be pricey for not a lot of product, and I needed a product that would easily cover a large region of breakout patches rather than individual blemishes. On one occasion after a facial that left me with a huge inflammed spot that worsened to the point of scabbing, I religiously applied this product. To my GREAT surprise and pleasure, when the scab fell off there was absolutely NO trace of damage. It was as if it had never happened and, given my skin, I am still astonished.

The only other product that I've used for hyperpigmentation and felt to be effective is an AHA solution. Since I'm in Canada and Dan's products take forever to get here, I went to Sephora and bought a liquid AHA solution that is naturally derived from maple from the company B. Kamins. I can't find it on their US site so, again, not sure if it's still available.

I will mention that I've used Philosophy's Help Me cream after reading rave reviews about it's ability to lighten acne-induced skin tone problems. It definitely did nothing for my skin type.

Sorry if this is all overwhelming... I am actually more aware of how much of a battle this has been now that I've had to write it all out! I am well acquainted with the despair of having the signs of breakouts past haunting you well after the breakout has been dealt with, so I hope you find a solution that works for you too.

Best,

Alison

P.S. Wear sunscreen!! I love Clinique's oil-free City Block because it's cheap and light on the skin.

Edited by absolutelymaybe

I'm Asian with medium skin. I suffered with moderately severe acne.

I gave up caffeine and change my diet (lots of water, absolutely no dairy, reduce intake of sugar and abundance of vegetables and fruits). Finally, my acne is almost gone (I'm about 90% better and it's only been 4 weeks since I changed my diet). Now, I'm just dealing with a few bumps and of course, hyperpigmentation.

I find a balance diet and a great multi-vitamins very effective in helping my skin heal quickly. Also, I've been eating and taking plenty of anti-inflammatory foods and herbs such as turmeric, ginger and cayenne pepper. This has helped immensely with the swelling and redness of my acne. You can eat this raw or take it in capsule form like I did.

For topicals, MSM cream has helped a lot with hyperpigmentation and in less than a week it can make a huge difference. I use the Natural Source brand. I also take MSM powder with my morning protein fruit shake. MSM is a sulfur and has been wonderful for my skin and hair. Furthermore, I use Avon's Glycolic Acid Advanced Retexturizing Peel and it has helped with the texture of my skin. I alternate the use of the glycolic peel with Avon's Advanced Dermabrasion System. Also, with a dose of night cream and day cream, my skin is looking better.

Good luck!

Edited by iriskw1