Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
davidthekid

Acne is ruining my chances of progressing in life!

Okay, here goes. I've been looking at this forum for a while, and now i'm finally deciding to post.

My name is David, i've had acne since about 15-16, and it's been tough. It first started out small and then eventually worked its way all around my face, and even to my forehead (although it took a while to get to my forehead). I used to be able to express myself freely before acne came into the picture, and I had alot more friends (because I was more open). It varies from small white-heads to under-the-skin red bumps (and sometimes but not very often black-heads).

As the acne grew worse, I started losing my friends, girls that were interested in me at first started to lose interest, and eventually I had to leave my church's Youth Group from embarassment, I couldn't hide it and even they would tease me (one time I got a red pimple on my nose and they called me rudolf).

I didn't mind that as much as now. Now, I am 19 years old, and I can't get out to get a job because i'm so embarassed of my face (I'm very sensitive about being picked on). I have an opportunity in music (my lifelong dream) wide open to me, but I haven't completely taken it because of my acne. Life is moving along without me because i'm not taking initiative because of my fear of rejection.

My family is not poor, but they don't have support in prescription medications, and don't want to spend the money to take me to a dermatologist. They say, "It's not worth the money, it will go away in time," or "Just go outside and it will heal by itself". They do let me use OTC medications, however.

I've been washing my face every morning and night before bed, with water, soap and then water again. I have naturally oily skin. I use Neutrogena On-the-Spot Acne Treatment on a regular basis to attempt to cover up my acne, as well as attempt to fix it (I apply it lightly and it somewhat covers up the redness while blending in with my skin). That method doesn't always work, however, because when I smile or open my mouth wide, it becomes visible and i'm constantly in the bathroom checking up on it (crazy method, I know).

So what do I do now? I can't stand this any longer, it's driving me crazy and holding me back from my dreams, and just living in general. Help me out?

David, you say that you use Neutrogena on the spot, but are you actually doing the regimen? If not I'd seriously think about it, as it has REALLY REALLY helped me and hopefully you would benefit greatly from it.