Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bryjoered

Scar treatments

Ok from what i've seen through my extensive research (and some personal experience) The two treatments that drastically improve my type of scarring (ice pick) is dermal grafting and TCA cross. I have never done either of these but have done four treatments of Fraxel Restore as well as one treatment of Fraxel Repair. The restores had very minimal improvement while the repair i'd say had a 20 to 30% improvement (at most). Restore's downtime is nothing like 5 days, but I was red for months after Repair. Repair is very similiar to CO2 laser I think. I'm pretty sure dermal grafting works it's just multiple treatments with extensive downtime. TCA cross is not as drastic, but also works with about two-three weeks downtime and probably more treatments. My question is, which would be better if I was trying to hide the treatment from my friends I mean I don't want anyone but family to know. I mean with my Repair I got comments all the time up to and including "What the fuck happen to your face" I just am trying to avoid that if at all possible any tips thanks.

lol, your friends dont sound very nice. whenever i have something done, they go all silent..and then only comment ONCE its improved.

i wouldnt do dermal grafts as simple excisions with double stitching are usually better. grafts create more scars and can sometimes fall out...yuck...id love to get excisions done but all my scars are too small.you can always do punch floats too. as for telling your friends and all that, i do but i think its probably quite obvious sometimes...

tca cross can be slow or fast, depending on how many scars you do at once and how long you leave it between sessions. if you do all your scars each time, its quite quick.

usually sessions placed 2 months apart can give around a 20-30% improvement, which is 10% a month. some users reported little to no improvement when they did them monthly as the collagen hadnt had time to form.

do you recommend fraxel repair? i have been contemplating it for ages for ice pick scars and believe it or not, your little summary really helped. a 20-30% improvement isnt toooooo bad...maybe once im finished everything else ill go for it... how bad was your ongoing redness?

The fraxel repair redness is pretty bad to be honest its almost like a mask. The downtime the doctor will tell you is probably not accurate I got mine done at the end of January and wasn't completely redness free until march.

Ya dermal grafts and excision/punching I kind've couple them together since they all involve sutering the scars closed. I know the graft involves the input of new skin though, which makes sense to me since my scars are mainly do to depressed marks where the skins seems to be "missing" I read one post about the grafts that said she received a rediculous improvement even in car windows, which is pretty much shows the worst image of your scarring in my experience.

TCA cross seems to be currently the best option for me, but I need to find a qualified doc in my area (D.C.) There is no limit I wouldn't go to see significant improvement, but the timing just has to be right for the grafts/ excision I would need to take a long time off from my social life/work at least until the stitches are removed. Ya the repair works to some extent that's for sure but the pain is probably one of the worst experiences of my life, so I couldn't go through it again, but four treatments of that and you would prolly see tremendous improvement. Pain can be compared to maybe a cigarette being slowly burned on your face from the bottom of your jaw line to your cheek bone and about 50 passes.

Im assuming TCA cross is just like anything else and the downtime is a little underexaggerated I could hide for a week or two, but then I would have to face the music.

good for you i say! you have done your research and have plans to get it done. the funny thing is, ive been searching high and low for years on this site learning about ways of treating my scars (ice picks too) and i came to the exact same conclusions as you. so we must be doing something right.

with the crosses, yeah the downtime can be a bit longer than is usually said. the initial redness will be quite horrific, at least until the scabs form and then they will just look like popped pimples with scabs on them. once they fall off is anyones guess. jackiey will be getting them done in a month and shes been given hydroquinine (i think thats how its spelt), to reduce the possibility of any change in pigmentation....maybe thats something you can look into.

im planning on going for my crosses in march. when you planning on getting yours done? oh and also, do you have any pics :) i'd love to see the size of the scars you are wanting to excise :) if i can be of any help, let me know.

I have a good camera on my phone but it is difficult to take the picture myself for obvious reasons. I have numerous icepicks on both cheeks most are relatively small, but I also have patches on both cheeks of something called depressed fibrotic scars I believe. these are basically craters and i have about 3 on the right side and 2 on the left and from what I know these might have to be punched/excised because of their size. I'm hoping TCA cross can help these as well. In terms of when im getting TCA done I have no idea the timing has to be right as I said, but this would be in the summer or winter most likely/ (I go to school so those are my breaks)