Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OmegaisJaded

making your own mineral makeup

Okay,so I'm kind of irritated with my search for the perfect mineral makeup. Nobody sells exactly what I'm looking for..so I figure,why not just make my own?

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do so. Double unfortunately, I don't think many of you guys know either. It's worth a try anyways.

All I want is something with zinc oxide,iron oxides,titanium oxide,and kaolin clay.

I don't want it to be jam packed with titanium dioxide,but I want it to have decent coverage. I'm thinking kaolin clay might make up for the lack of titanium oxide for coverage,but what the hell do I know?

Would a coffee grinder work to mix things? What particle sizes should I watch for?What colors would you need for someone who is neutral in color?

Go to Coastalscents.com. They sell all sorts of high quality makeup, as well as base ingredients (including all you listed and more. You can buy large amounts of each for unbelievably cheap. The 1 oz. size of the powders like kaolin clay and such are actually bigger than they seem, they come in bottles about 4 inches tall, and 2.5 inches wide. The powders are light, though, so one oz. goes farther.

Find the Makeup Ingredients section...

Go to the Fillers and Additives section to find your base powders, and to the Oxides/Ultramarines section for pigment.

:]

Huh,so for neutral tones you'd add what colors?

They list the particle sizes but I know your supposed to pay attention to that for coverage sake.

Ayla makes her own stuff.She adds the pigments in to get the color afterward(I think).

So how what ratio would I need of zinc,titanium,and kaolin for a base with medium coverage?

Can I just shake it around in jar?Is a coffee grinder necessary?

Coastal scents has an e-book that tells you were to start,but I don't want to pay 35 bucks for it.

sure!

I order from TKB trading or coastal scents (like TKB better)

recipe for buff:

3 Tablespoons of 5-6 micron size boron nitride

1 Tablespoon Silk Powder

1 Teaspoon silica powder

1/3 Teaspoon Zinc Oxide

1/3 Teaspoon Titanium Dioxide (I like the methicone treated)

1/4 Teaspoon brown iron oxide powder

1/8 teaspoon yellow iron oxide powder

1/8 teaspoon red iron oxide powder

Put all ingredients in a clean coffee grinder.

Grind by pressing button for 5 second intervals

Occasionally tap lid of grinder to settle powder

Occasionally invert grinder and tap upside down to settle powder

add oxides a few grains at a time to darken/change - about a 16th of teaspoon. Increase browns first, then yellow, then red.

as a rule, this will be really messy! Good Luck!

edit: I use red 541 (brick), flat pure brown oxide, and yellow #77492

You really do need the grinder, if you try it without it looks really pale, but when you brush it on you get bright, multi-coloured streaks.

Yikes, I've dealt with the streaking thing with cheap makeup before.Coffee grinders are cheap thankfully!

Are you a neutral color ayla? I don't now what "buff" is. All I know is warm and cool colors always look very off on me. The only foundation I've used that was perfect i color was Everyday Minerals Fair Neutral. Stopped using it because of all the negative things being said about it. Rather be safe than sorry.

Is there a reason for the methicone treated titanium oxide?

buff is neutral, I'm cool - the recipe was posted for someone else ages ago. It's a good starting point - if it looks ruddy on you, add yellow, if you look sallow, add red. Too dark, add more filler/white. Good luck!

edit: the methicone is a smoother feel, if you are against cones, just don't want the extra ingredient, by all means get the regular.

Edited by ayla

Well,there's oil and water dispersible titanium dioxide on the one site. One's for oily skin,and the other is not. What if the only oily part on my face is my nose and inner cheeks?

If my foundation comes out too chalky,is there anything to suggest boron nitride is bad for acne prone skin? I heard it's put into make up to make it more spreadable and adhere better.

Also, how large are the 1 ounce bags? They go by weight so I would love an example if you have one.

Sorry for so many questions ayla! This is amazingly useful for anyone who has trouble finding a good mineral makeup for themselves. I really appreciate it =)

the water dispersible is new to their site, I've never seen that before. It appears to have a higher salt content to make it 'melt' into the water more readily. consider salt's extreme alkalinity I would choose the oil dispersible, the water seems both gimmicky and bad for the acid mantle.

Some people claim breakouts from TDO and opt to use only ZO - that is fine too. TDO is a creamier white, whereas ZO is a stark, bluish white. I prefer a mix of both.

I've never noticed any correlation with Boron Nitride and acne. Converse actually, there are many citations of its ability to inhibit bacterial growth. It has a plate like structure that allows the products to form a 'second skin' - akin to putting on nylons.

I couldn't find a tape measure and didn't want to dump it out to measure it by volume so I took a picture of me holding 1 oz of brown oxide, lol. My pinkie marks the top of the powder, I would guess it's a bit over half a cup..? You'll need the most of the filler and the whites.

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/4270/picture175.jpg

Edited by ayla

Oh my goodness,those bags are huge! Thank you so much for showing me!

I'm kind of iffy about the titanium dioxde. I *think* Everyday Minerals may have led to my crazy forehead breakouts,but it's so hard to tell for sure. The intensive formula is packed with titanium dioxide,but it also has mica.Yet,my favorite(and discontinued) foundation from High School also had mica and it helped heal my acne. So annoying...

Would skipping the titanium alter the wear of my product?If so,the boron would fix this?

Everyday Minerals Fair Neutral was the perfect match for my skin,and I notice that next to the ingredients it has CI number things. What does it mean?

For example,it says Iron Oxides (CI 77491,CI 77492,CI 77499) Ultramarines (CI 77007)

I'm so super excited right now.

Oh my goodness,those bags are huge! Thank you so much for showing me!

I'm kind of iffy about the titanium dioxde. I *think* Everyday Minerals may have led to my crazy forehead breakouts,but it's so hard to tell for sure. The intensive formula is packed with titanium dioxide,but it also has mica.Yet,my favorite(and discontinued) foundation from High School also had mica and it helped heal my acne. So annoying...

Would skipping the titanium alter the wear of my product?If so,the boron would fix this?

Everyday Minerals Fair Neutral was the perfect match for my skin,and I notice that next to the ingredients it has CI number things. What does it mean?

For example,it says Iron Oxides (CI 77491,CI 77492,CI 77499) Ultramarines (CI 77007)

I'm so super excited right now.

TiO2-great natural sunscreen. Usually used at 5-15% of a formula.

Boron nitride does increase slip and adhesion, just be aware that there are different micron sizes. Some are fairly matte, others will have you shining like the tin man!

The CI numbers are INCI identifiers required be the European union, for cosmetics marketed in their union.

Allantoin would be an excellent addition to your foundation! It's a natural antiseptic and skin soother and is great for acneic skin. Probably shouldn't use more than 10% kaolin unless you want your face to dry up like a prune!

Most suppliers will also provide information about recommended usage levels. Boron nitride is non comedogenic. Avoid bismuth like the plague! It's a heavy metal, clogs pores, and can lead to cystic acne.

As far as pigment goes, you will use mostly yellow, some red, and ultramarine blue will help too. Tkb has a small spoon set that's great for personal use formulas. Just remember to write down what you add and how much. Nothing sucks more than coming up with the perfect product in the perfect shade, only to realize you don't know how to do it again!

Oh and add a little pigment at a time to your base.

Edited by L.A. Minerals

Okay so here's what I bought so far:

-Boron Nitride(5-6 particle size)

-Zinc Oxide (High Micron)

-Kaolin Clay

-Ocher Yellow Oxide(the really yellow one scared me)

-The lighter brown Oxide

-Red oxide

-Allantoin

I also got those cute little measuring spoons that say smidge,pinch,etc lol.

Now the problem is putting together a ratio of what base ingredients to use,or if they'll even work at all. I hear you on the 10% kaolin clay,the website says around 2% for the allantoin,and I'm clueless as to what amounts of boron and zinc LOL. I at least want medium coverage.If all else fails I'll try the Titanium Dioxide. Just get tired of being ingredient paranoid,ya know?

Their regular ultramarine blue is also out of stock.

Oh gosh,hopefully this isn't a disaster! Oh well,23 bucks isn't so bad. :lol:

Well the zinc oxide will provide a pretty good SPF at 15%. Boron nitride is usually used at 10-15%, but we use it at much larger percents with no issues. The main reason the inclusion% is normallylow with boron nitride is because it's glowy, even the smaller particle sizes.

Crap.

15% boron

10% kaolin

2% allantoin

That would only be 27% accounted for and I'm guessing 73% zinc is not such a good idea.I want decent coverage to my foundation,at least "medium".Why would using a high percentage of High micron zinc be a bad idea?Because of coverage or would it be chalky?

What else can I put in it if I want to stay away from mica and titanium dioxide?

Looking at TKB's fillers/base section I'm willing to use these:

-silk

-micronized pearl

-rice powder

-calcium carbonate

Ingredients I refuse to use:

-mica

-Magnesium stearate

-magnesium myristrate

-talc

-zinc stearate

-silica

-cornstarch

titanium dioxide will be purchased if I have absolutely no other choice for what I want.

I should have thought this out a bit more thoroughly.I'm too hasty with the checkout button.

...why don't you just use the recipe I posted, switching out the silica & TDO? Honestly, it took me years to come up with a really good formula, this shit ain't easy.

...why don't you just use the recipe I posted, switching out the silica & TDO? Honestly, it took me years to come up with a really good formula, this shit ain't easy.

Okay fine.What should I switch the percentages of silica and TDO with? I'll do it your way. :|

lol, you don't have to, I'm just saying it's really hard to come up with a formula in one go.

I would switch the silica out for silk powder, rice powder, kaolin or pearl powder. The TDO I would switch with ZO - filler for filler, whitener for whitener.

I wouldn't add the allantoin, it can be pretty allergenic.

Allergenic? Really? So I'll get irritated right?Or will my face turn into a city of pustules?

Anyways,so the recipe would now become THIS:

3 TB Boron Nitride

1 TB silk

1 tsp Kaolin

2/3 tsp zinc

and then whatever colors I need. Any objections?I'mma hit that checkout button in 2 seconds.It beckons to me!

Allergenic? Really? So I'll get irritated right?Or will my face turn into a city of pustules?

Anyways,so the recipe would now become THIS:

3 TB Boron Nitride

1 TB silk

1 tsp Kaolin

2/3 tsp zinc

and then whatever colors I need. Any objections?I'mma hit that checkout button in 2 seconds.It beckons to me!

That would be a good starting point. If it's too shiny for your preferences, you can increase the silk powder and decrease boron.

Ayla, could you cite your source about allantoin being allergenic used at 1-2% of the formula?

All our data and research shows the opposite effect; indicating it has antiseptic, skin soothing properties.

L.A.: oi, the source was long ago read and lost even further back in time than that. The gist of it was; though contact allergy was rare it was heightened in those individuals with pre-existing allergies. The response was increased when allantoin was synthesized or used in the presence of diazolidinyl urea, causing it to be a formaldehyde releaser.

Omega: That base looks good, what LA said about the shininess is correct. I doubt you would get a face full of pustules, you probably wouldn't have any reaction at all. Probably. But the whole concept behind mineral makeup was to remove all potential triggers, use only inert materials. Adding variables like herbs, chemical constituents of herbs (lab created OR natural) only increases the likelihood of a reaction.

Well the way i see it girls that have taken accutane are basically ruined for life

hollowed-out shells with only a small semblance of still being human walking around blindly

with their clear skin but soulless faces. zombies.

Accutane basically destroys the DNA, the woman's eggs are forever spoiled and the womb becomes

nothing more than a vessel for deformed stillborn babies.

I would never put my seed into these ruined vessels, i would rather fuk an alien. Not that they even

have any lubrication left on their vaginas to even facilitate such an act.

yours truly

- bio_nerd

So I got my stuff. Dead broke this week from getting my face burnt off,so I have most of my stuff minus the coffee grinder =(

5-6 micron boron has a teeny tiny amount of shimmer.Not really noticeable!

High micron zinc is very thick and didn't spread when I rubbed in between my fingers

kaolin clay is surprisingly creamy and soft.

I'm not so sure if this clay is going to be all that drying.It feels like a light fluffy cloud! I kind of just want to make the base out of those three but I'm going to buy the silk as a backup anyways. Unfortunately,TKB Trading has a 19.50 dollar purchase limit! Is there anywhere I can buy the silk individually?

I feel a bit more confident now that I've seen the ingredients on the back of my hand and felt their consistency.

Very scared of these pigments,especially the red oxide.

So,I forgot to update.

I haphazardly put 2 tablespoons of boron nitride and kaolin clay and 1 tablespoon of zinc for my base. I used the coffee grinder to mix in only brown and yellow oxide to color. It created such a fluffy powder and it actually goes on nice and smooth. Medium Coverage.No dryness or irritation thus far.I do have to use my gel moisturizer for best results(smooth application).

Who knew?

And holy crap,Ayla.I had no idea you were so beautiful! You look like an angel....

Edited by OmegaisJaded