Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MurphsGirl

Accutane's Sometimes Permanent Side Effects...Use Caution

UPDATED POST

I am getting close to being what I would call an Accutane survivor. Through trial & error and a ton of research I have remedied almost all of my Accutane related health issues.

For the low libido, I still struggle with it a little but I am 90% better than I was a year ago. I have been working with a BodyLogicMD doctor to balance my hormones with bio-identical hormone replacement. I now have lubrication, desire and strong orgasms. Intercourse is about 90% less painful. After 2.5 years of hormone balancing my saliva tests are finally in range.

I am finally sleeping through a method of using the $5 homeopathic Calms Forte. I have to put them under my tongue to feel the calming effects. For 10 years, I tried taking every sleep medication under the sun from the most natural (Valerian, Melatonin, etc. to OTC's like Tylenol PM, Nyquil, etc. to prescriptions like Ambien, Trazadone, etc. Nothing taken orally worked for me.

Here's the $1 million dollar asnswer why: ABSORBTION ISSUES!!!!

My digestive system is full of accumulated waste which has no where to go but out my skin via acne. Use of Accutane led to IBS which led to a welcome environment for bad bacteria, yeast, fungi and parastites to live. How do I know this for sure???

A month ago, I bought a MetaMetrix GI Effect Stool Profile test online for $395. You can do this without a Dr.'s Rxif you google the test name. I was shocked to find out that I was positive for parasites, yeast & fungi as well as that I did not have enough of the beneficial bacteria like S. boulardii to crowd out the bad guys. Now I know that a good probiotic is Garden of Life's Primal Defense Ultra. I was taking a probiotic but not the right one for my body.

You see, I have slowly but surely fixed most of my problems but I did it the long, hard way.

If I could do it again I would have fixed my gut first. It's so logical but I never thought about it. I bought every topical and oral medication I could find that would clear my acne. Some worked but the acne always came back. I should have treated the parasite/yeast problem internally, changed my diet to avoid dairy and processed foods, and taken a good probiotic.

A working gut doesn't experience constipation, diarrhea, gas, bloating, abdominal pain. A working gut has a strong immune system which keeps the above bad guys in check, including disease. A working gut allows nutrients received through diet to be distributed properly to the body allowing you to have healthy hair, clear skin and strong nails. And last but certainly not least, a working gut allows all of the necessary hormones to be made so you can have a healthy sex life and feel your age.

Detoxify your gut, replenish the good bacteria that you need. Every person is individual and should have their stool tested to find the root cause of their problem. It was the best money I have ever spent.

Good luck!

ORIGINAL POST FROM 2009

I am a married 35 year old woman. I took two courses of Accutane when I was in college for mild to severe acne. Once when I was 20 and then again when I was 22. My symptoms started shortly after that time and they have persisted for more than a decade.

If you are considering taking Accutane, you should weigh these possible permanent/semi-permanent side effects.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome from age 22 - 33

Night vision impaired - see halos

Muscle/Joint Aches

Massive Hormonal Imbalances - Barely any testosterone, progesterone & estrogen in my body - prior to 15 months of bioidentical hormone therapy- now levels have come up but I don't feel all that much better - early onset of perimenopause

Low to no libido

Painful intercourse

Candida - white tongue, vaginal yeast (using Nystatin and Diflucan to combat it)

Insomnia - due to hormonal problems

Depression - due to sexual dysfunction

Dry hair

Chapped lips

Dry nail beds

And yes, I still have acne...

Please think twice about using this drug. I read that it was initially developed as a chemotherapy drug...a toxic Vitamin A derivative. There are better ways to reduce your acne.

Nelson's makes homeopathic ance products you can get online at nelsonsstore dot com and they are very good. Cleaning up your diet will also significantly reduce acne. Candida (yeast overgrowth) may also be leading to your acne. For us acne sufferers antibiotic overuse is very common.

Thanks for your post Murpsgirl? How did you know the right type of probotic to get out of curiosity. When you got your tests results back did they recommend one?

I don't know you and am not a doctor but here's my 2 cents.

When you go through puberty at around ago 13 your body surges with androgens. This testosterone causes normal teen acne. Some people's hormones normalize in a few years and get through this phase. Others have acne so bad that they feel that they have to take antibiotics. I took lots and lots of antibiotics (and later 2 courses of Accutane) in an attempt to get clear skin. I got temporary results but it always came back worse. Before taking antibiotics I had a normal digestion, going at least once a day, but definitely had high testosterone for a female.

Antibiotics are very effective. They kill all of your gut flora, the good and the bad. This creates an environment in your gut that allows the bad "opportunistic" bacteria to be more dominant. This leads you to experience constipation and therefore toxins to accumulate in the body. This accumulation overwhelms the liver so the toxins must be excreted through the skin, the body's largest organ.

If you are not going once a day and not eating predominately living foods then you can expect acne along with other health problems.

Dr. Koyfman in Atlanta has a great book on his website called "Healing through Cleansing Diet" at http://koyfmancenter.com/books.htm

UPDATED POST

I am getting close to being what I would call an Accutane survivor. Through trial & error and a ton of research I have remedied almost all of my Accutane related health issues.

For the low libido, I still struggle with it a little but I am 90% better than I was a year ago. I have been working with a BodyLogicMD doctor to balance my hormones with bio-identical hormone replacement. I now have lubrication, desire and strong orgasms. Intercourse is about 90% less painful. After 2.5 years of hormone balancing my saliva tests are finally in range.

I am finally sleeping through a method of using the $5 homeopathic Calms Forte. I have to put them under my tongue to feel the calming effects. For 10 years, I tried taking every sleep medication under the sun from the most natural (Valerian, Melatonin, etc. to OTC's like Tylenol PM, Nyquil, etc. to prescriptions like Ambien, Trazadone, etc. Nothing taken orally worked for me.

Here's the $1 million dollar asnswer why: ABSORBTION ISSUES!!!!

My digestive system is full of accumulated waste which has no where to go but out my skin via acne. Use of Accutane led to IBS which led to a welcome environment for bad bacteria, yeast, fungi and parastites to live. How do I know this for sure???

A month ago, I bought a MetaMetrix GI Effect Stool Profile test online for $395. You can do this without a Dr.'s Rxif you google the test name. I was shocked to find out that I was positive for parasites, yeast & fungi as well as that I did not have enough of the beneficial bacteria like S. boulardii to crowd out the bad guys. Now I know that a good probiotic is Garden of Life's Primal Defense Ultra. I was taking a probiotic but not the right one for my body.

You see, I have slowly but surely fixed most of my problems but I did it the long, hard way.

If I could do it again I would have fixed my gut first. It's so logical but I never thought about it. I bought every topical and oral medication I could find that would clear my acne. Some worked but the acne always came back. I should have treated the parasite/yeast problem internally, changed my diet to avoid dairy and processed foods, and taken a good probiotic.

A working gut doesn't experience constipation, diarrhea, gas, bloating, abdominal pain. A working gut has a strong immune system which keeps the above bad guys in check, including disease. A working gut allows nutrients received through diet to be distributed properly to the body allowing you to have healthy hair, clear skin and strong nails. And last but certainly not least, a working gut allows all of the necessary hormones to be made so you can have a healthy sex life and feel your age.

Detoxify your gut, replenish the good bacteria that you need. Every person is individual and should have their stool tested to find the root cause of their problem. It was the best money I have ever spent.

Good luck!

ORIGINAL POST FROM 2009

I am a married 35 year old woman. I took two courses of Accutane when I was in college for mild to severe acne. Once when I was 20 and then again when I was 22. My symptoms started shortly after that time and they have persisted for more than a decade.

If you are considering taking Accutane, you should weigh these possible permanent/semi-permanent side effects.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome from age 22 - 33

Night vision impaired - see halos

Muscle/Joint Aches

Massive Hormonal Imbalances - Barely any testosterone, progesterone & estrogen in my body - prior to 15 months of bioidentical hormone therapy- now levels have come up but I don't feel all that much better - early onset of perimenopause

Low to no libido

Painful intercourse

Candida - white tongue, vaginal yeast (using Nystatin and Diflucan to combat it)

Insomnia - due to hormonal problems

Depression - due to sexual dysfunction

Dry hair

Chapped lips

Dry nail beds

And yes, I still have acne...

Please think twice about using this drug. I read that it was initially developed as a chemotherapy drug...a toxic Vitamin A derivative. There are better ways to reduce your acne.

Nelson's makes homeopathic ance products you can get online at nelsonsstore dot com and they are very good. Cleaning up your diet will also significantly reduce acne. Candida (yeast overgrowth) may also be leading to your acne. For us acne sufferers antibiotic overuse is very common.

The test results showed my levels of predominant bacteria, opportunistic bacteria and pathogenic bacteria so I could see what I needed to supplement and where to make sure to cut back.

I ordered the MetaMetrix GI Effects test from a site called Integrative Psychiatry. For an additional $45 you can have a consultation with them to get their recommendations if you want it once you get the results.

Here is the interpretation guide for the stool analysis:

http://www.metametrix.com/files/test-menu/...-Effects-IG.pdf

This is where I learned about S. boulardii. It says it aids in the growth of beneficial bacteria, crowds out yeast and helps with immune support.

Thanks for your post Murpsgirl? How did you know the right type of probotic to get out of curiosity. When you got your tests results back did they recommend one?