Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
John Syndey

Personal Message From Doctor Yarborough

Firstly I would just like to offer my experience to everyone. After reading this board for many months and doing a large amount of research through the Internet & having a consultation with a Sydney dermatologist who had actually spent time training under Doctor Yarborough in New Orleans I decided to contact Dr Yarborough in America via mail and photos of my scars. As like everyone here they were getting me down and I really wanted to do everything possible to improve them so I can move forward with my life. After reading my letter and reviewing my photos he contacted me directly in Sydney via mail and phone and we both concluded I could benefit from wire brush dermabrasion. I would like to reiterate at this point he came across as a wonderful man with a great deal of compassion and modesty and a genuine desire to help me. For those interested I have previously had two diamond fraise Dermabrasions, ( different wheel to what Doctor Y uses and without the use of a frozen anaesthetic) one CO2 laser and 4ml of various permanent fillers (Acquamid) .

So after talking with this wonderful man I decided to save real hard for three months and travel to New Orleans. The main reason being is this mans experience, the method he uses and just how highly he is regarded. Plus I believed I had tried everything possible here in Australia with some very good and highly respected Australian Board Certified plastic surgeons.

It has been two weeks since I have had this procedure and have just arrived back in Australia and I would like to say that this is without doubt the Best procedure I have ever ever had on my scarring. My scarring is both raised and indented and I believe dermabrasion by wire brush can improve all scarring other than ice picks with can be elevated first then dermabrated over later. My sister and her family at the airport was extremely surprised at how good my skin looked. What I am trying to say to everyone is that Doctor Yarborough, is in my opinion, the best possible option for anyone with acne scarring weather it be mild, moderate to even the most severe cases. I believe I am in a good position to offer this assessment having tried a number of different procedures. My improvement to this point has been beyond my expectations. Yes the scarring is still there but it is so much better. In addition I have never met such a decent and kind, caring human being let alone one who is a doctor.

As I said above this man is the nicest doctor I have ever come across both in his demeanour, his attention to detail and his skill at this procedure. Not only am I basing my thoughts on him on my own results of this procedure but also the fact as as I was from Sydney Australia and hence spent 12 days there, I was able to spend some time in his office actually watching a number of videos of him performing the entire procedure on video on other patients and documentaries completed on him and results seen from this procedure. I could see what he does when he performs it on you, the concentration and how he approaches the scarring and what a different using the frozen anaesthetic makes. Also he has actually performed the procedure I would estimate in excess of 10,000 times. In the 12 days I was there he did it on 6 people. Also I was lucky enough to meet the poster on this board “LOVE” (A very nice lady who might I add is a very pretty also) prior to the dermabrasion and seeing her skin 10 days after and the results on her skin, in my opinion were tremendous. The procedure not only helps the scarred skin but the texture of the non scarred skin and this peel he does under the eyes makes that area look great also. He obviously does not give you perfect skin but definitely in all the cases I saw very noticeable improvement. And if you desire for those of us whose scarring Is more severe you can go back again or until you reach the level you desire. I want to emphasise to everyone that I have been through a very tough time with my scarring and have seen a number of doctors, some very good doctors and have had some improvement with my scarring but never anything like this. This man is a unique Doctor who is extremely skilled in wire brush dermabrasion ( I could honestly say in my opinion the best in the world) and he will do his utmost to improve your skin to the best of his ability. I do not believe there is any other procedure that can replicate this or performed by anyone else. On the video it looked very difficult and very much dependant on the skill of the operator. This man is also a concert pianist and having heard him play piano he is wonderful artist on the piano which I believe is why he is so skilled at dermabrasion.

Finally as I spent a lot of time with his office (who might I add are wonderful and extremely professional) they asked that I show them this board. He personally wanted me to tell everyone that he is humbled by the kind words of the people expressed on the board. He also wanted me to let everyone know that he would consider it a privilege to try and help as many of you as he can prior to his retirement. Doctor Yarborough is 70 years old (not that you would know by looking at him) and I believe he will be around for two three more years. Therefore it would be my recommendation to anyone who is really serious about improvement (not perfection) in their scars, regardless of destination to send this man a letter and with a picture of your scars and I guarantee you he will do his upmost best to improve your scars. I would be getting it done sooner rather than later and I would only consider it to be done by him so time is ticking. I travelled from Sydney Australia to have dermabrasion performed by this man (it was even sort of like a holiday I had such a good time) and I would do it again in a heartbeat, and will because of the high esteem I hold him and the improvements I have received. It is worth every cent I spent.

This will make a great deal of difference to my life and I am very grateful to all the people on this board who have posted about this man and everything written is 100% true from my experience.

Hiya You! I'm the girl you and Love gave all the yogurt to, remember? Just wanted to say that I appreciate both of your generousity and kindness!! I just got back from New Orleans today.. Just want to tell everyone that all that John said about Dr. Y is true. Dr. Yarborough is one of the GREATEST doctors out there..

I am so glad you are doing well John! You and Love both looked amazing!! Take care and keep us all updated!..

Poe

I would just like to add...

I had dermabrasion with Dr. Yarborough 12 days ago. Still healing...

Thank you so much John, Poe and Love for sharing your experiences...you are all so helpful! (Poe, I read your about your experience in leopolda's thread. Nice to hear your doing well! smile.gif)

After all the raves about Dr. Y, I'm starting to wonder if I might be a candidate for dermabrasion. I am not going to consider having it done if it's not by him. I have never been too conscious of my scars until recently - my acne is finally under control and my scars are now more noticeable and visible to me. I've been doing non-ablative laser treatments (closest to CoolTouch), but have seen little results so far.

My scarring is pretty much limited to my temples...I do have minor shallow scars on other parts of my face, but they don't bother me much. I have pictures of my left temple here in the gallery:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...&cmd=si&img=259

Based on the pictures and the patients you've seen there, do you think I would benefit from dermabrasion, and would Dr. Y consider performing the procedure on me? I'm not sure how severe the scars have to be for him to consider dermabrasion.

Thank you so much for taking time to post, and any feedback you can offer. Good luck to you all!

Catwoman,

I viewed your photos in the gallery. I think dermabrasion is worth considering.

Hey you guys! Welcome back!!! I'm SO please to hear that you all had such wonderful experiences with this amazing man, and his amazing nurse Cassandra! I will write more later in response to all of what you've said, but I just wanted to welcome you back and to tellyou how happy I am for you.

--leo

I am glad that you have had good results from Dr. Y. I have very severe scarring as a result of severe cystic acne. I have one particular scar that is large, thick raised scar tissue on my face which is extremely ugly. I am desperate to have this scar treated. It is very likely to thick and raised to be treated by any method which requires a wire brushing technique or dermabrasion.

It is about 1cm across and 2cm long. I have heard of isolagen treatment which i believe may help me but i dont know of anyone who has had it done.

Do you think Dr. Yarborough will be able to help me out? i dont have any photos.

Hi Guys,

Thankyou all for your kind words and responses.

Firstly Poe that was a pleasure to help, I just apologise for knocking on your door so late! Isn't it amazing how quickly the swelling goes down. I have been out a few times sinces getting home without the mask, just plenty of sunscreen and it just looks like I am sunburnt.

And Love it is no exaggeration when you said your skin did look like a teenager. When you say your 35 it really is hard to believe! I need to see your birth certificate for confirmation!

Catwoman absolutely, in my opinion, you would benefit. Basically what I am saying is that anyone with any type of scarring, this is in my opinion, the most effective way to treat them. And I believe my experiences are valid as prior to this I would probably have had approx 20 different treatments. And Catwoman in my opinion it is not as invasive as people say --- I was awake the whole time and all my family here in Australia seeing me now don't really think it looks so bad after two weeks other than some sunburn. The first two days are a little awkward but after that it is fine. Plus you get results after three months not taking years for them to show.

Some of the stories I heard when i was at the office were remarkable --- you guys would be surprised just at who some of the people Doctor Y has treated. He has also played piano for some of the finest singers in the world. One of the ladies husbands treated by Doctor Y said to him these exact words which touched me "Dear John thanks for getting my wifes life back".

I would also like to add that I was actually the 6th person to come from Australia and it is nothing unusual for them to have people from outside of America. A guy from London was there last week. Plus I loved the accent of New Orleans and all the woman in the Cafe called me sugar or baby which I though was really funny and I liked it!

Hi Leo! As you were the one who started the initial thread about this man I think I owe you an extra thankyou. A lot of us here have a lot to thankyou for as without your original post we may not of heard about this man. And thanks for your kind words above and well wishes.

And Geordie I have raised scarring and the wire brush definately helps - it just may take more than one go but it can help for everything. In fact most people who have seen his photos will see that he has helped all kinds of scarring, acne, hugh chicken pox scars, very noticeable facial discoulourations etc etc. Most of us here would probably only pay most attention to the the acne scarring but the wire brush can treat all kinds of imperfections. And I would suggest if you are serious take some photos if you dont have any and send them in. I know that this is not always easy for people to do but if it is an issue one can always have a consultation instead as oppossed to sending pictures.

Finally I would like to add to all those who do decide to send in the letter, I would suggest writing something about yourself other than just talk 100% about your scarring etc, like what you do for work/study, hobbies etc, as Doctor Y thoroughly believes in getting to know his patients as people not just as someone coming in for surgery. He said to me actually he compares it to playing the piano --- the concert is his stage and you/us guys are his audience and a vital part of his work is gaining the trust from the patient.

PS I didn't mention them each individually but his office Cassandra, the other nurse Sandra and Pat are just wonderful people and compliment the doctor in everything he does.

Hey guys,

well i am interested now in this, does anyone know if he charges the same amount of money for either entire face or an area?

I have fairly shallow scars on my upper left cheek and on my right cheek, the area does not exceed 2 inches in diameter.

How much did he charge you? What things do you arrange? like stay? etc.

Does he take any type of medical plan, insurance etc.

Basically what was your experience in this matter?

Thanks!

amnesiac - leopolda has written an extremely helpful and thorough account of her experience. I think some of your questions can be answered here:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=24409

Kiki (LOVE) and John - thank you so much for your responses! I feel more encouraged to go ahead and contact him...first, I have to start saving $ like a mad woman! I'm sure it will be more than worth it, I have a new goal now. :smile: It's so good to know that Dr. Y will treat all types of scars, and not only severe cases. Every time I read accounts about this man, it makes me want to cry - he sounds like such a wonderful human being! At his age, and as renowned and wanted as he is and has been, I'm sure it's not about the money, but his genuine desire to help people as much as and as long as he can. And it's a wonder that after countless procedures and patients, he still treats each and every one with compassion.

Thank you again for sharing all of you, and God bless!

(P.S. Thanks again Kiki for information on the treatments you've tried. My current procedure is not costing me anything for 4 treatments, but after that...you're right, it adds up to be a whole lot of money! Might as well save it for something that's proven to be more effective.)

I just wanted to add that Dr. Y only works on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.. My last day at the office was on Friday and he made a special trip just to see how I was doing. He told me I was healing great! and we chatted a bit more.. all of a sudden, I just could'nt keep myself from crying.. I was just SOOO extremely thankful for him and everything he does.. He gave me a big bear hug again(which made me cried more) and just told me he's just doing his job... He is such an extremely humble man... He had a tiring week, but he still came to the office on his off day and called me in my hotel room to meet up with him at the office.. I also told him that I would probably visit N.O. early next year and he said he would take me out to dinner with his wife... smile.gif This man has a heart of gold and he cares about us as more than just patients..

Anyone considering having dermabrasion done by him, don't worry at all.. you will be in the best of hands... smile.gif

L0VE Posted on Aug 9 2004, 02:39 AM

For anyone who is concerned about cost...

There is no price that I can place on the happiness Dr. Yarborough has given me via his expertise. None. To be perfectly honest, I believe his fee for a full face dermabrasion is far less than what he deserves.

Anyone concerned about cost need only ask themselves "How much is it worth to regain an optimistic outlook regarding my scars?" ... followed by "How hard am I willing to work to save for that goal?"

My answers to both those questions were:

Everything. (and)

Very.

Kiki 

Poe,

When I visited you in your room, I was 9 days post-op and John was eleven. You were so sweet and generous to allow us to see you. If I failed to say it earlier, I apologize for tapping on your door so late, but I was leaving early the next morning and knew I would not have an opportunity to see you later.

Are you considering having the procedure again? As I mentioned previously, that is my plan.

Kiki

He doesn't even have a website Princess, which I think is good in a way. He's not trying to sell himself with fake photos, like many other docs do. BTW, I saw Andrea Mitchell again and she looked better this time. It's the lighting.

I am planning to go to DR.Y on december if i can't afford it then in may but i'm really hoping for december if i can get the money.

Does anyone know if you need to go with an adult if you are under 21?

I am planning to go to DR.Y on december if i can't afford it then in may but i'm really hoping for december if i can get the money.

Does anyone know if you need to go with an adult if you are under 21?

Not so long ago in Louisiana the drinking age was 18 when I still lived there wink.gif I was one of the unlucky ones who was born at the wrong time for the Louisiana legislature. Being the last state to change it's drinking age, I found myself at age 20 not being able to drink (or gamble) having just done it the day before. Partied hard the night before to get it out of my system and the next day I could have been thrown in jail for it... wild! Some Louisiana trivia for you all.

I had no idea he was 70! That would normally scare me from any kind of Dr. but I'm gonna say it for all the people that might be scared by his age. He doesn't look it, sound it, act it, or perform dermabrasions like it. That's 70 good years in the making and I'm gonna be so privileged to have him perform this procedure on me. I feel like he's an artist and I'm one of his last numbered editions.

I can't beleive im so excited to go through with something like this (which can be so painful!).

This xmas is going to be one to remember..... I will prolly look like I'm on my death bed and I'll be asking santa for some painkillers I'm sure. I hope someone else from this board is going about the same time as me. (Dec. 20 is my "D-day")

I gotta say this too… Cassandra is an intricate part of that operation. I love her as much as I love Dr. Y. She has been with him for many many years (20+). You can’t find this type of operation anywhere else.

John....

Congrats on your procedure. I'm glad you are pleased with your results and I hope you had a good time down on the bayou. I'm glad to see a man have this done and was hoping you could shed a little light on a couple things for me. Most of our recent beautiful lady dermabrasion posters (Love, Poe, and Leopolda) don't have to worry about shaving! So tell me about that please. What kind of pain is that? When can you finally touch your face again and how long should you/did you wait before shaving. I shave everyday with an electric razor. My growth rate is pretty moderate to heavy. Did you have a bunch of ingrown hairs? I'm white and I don't know how to describe this but my hair has either kinda changed the skin color/tone where my hair grows or I simply can't get a close enuf shave. That's what it looks like but maybe the skin color has changed some. Do you know what I'm talking about even? hahah... anyway I'm wondering if you had this also and if dermabrasion helped on this?

I also have a large dark mark, almost square where my sideburn grows on my left side. I hope to post a pic of this soon. Does anyone know if a dermabrasion could help on a discolored section of the face like this. It's a big mark, about 2 inches by 3 inches. My acne scarring is like Baskin Robbins... I pretty much have one of each flavor.

Hi Portlandboy,

In answer to your questions:

I had a great time in New Orleans. The food there is fantastic as are the people, so damn friendly. As I mentioned I love it how all the woman call you sugar and baby. Plus everyone says your welcome when you say thankyou as oppossed to No Worries here in Australia.

In regards to shaving. I shaved with an electic razor after seven days no problem, but it took a lot longer than normal as was very very careful. You can shave after there are no crusts left. I have shaved every three days since then sometimes with the razor and shaving cream sometimes with the electric razor.

In regards to scar type. I have raised and indented which I suppose you would call rolling. Dermabrasion helps with all types of scarring and I definately feel it would help with the scarring near your side burns. But at your consult you should ask Doctor Y specifically about any concerns/benefits of any particular scar.

Now about pain! It was a little painful for me. Actually I ended up buying some Tylenole (we don;t have that here) and used to use that prior to cleaning. The procedure itself was a little painful for me but mainly because I basically came off a 34 hour door to door flight and then 8 hours sleep and straight onto the table. In actual fact the ladies seems to feel less pain than the men! The poster Love, I kid you not, I never heard her complain once! In fact the office told me that most of the ladies, go shopping two days after having it done. Basically the first two days are not painful just uncomfortable cause of the bandages but after that no real discomfort other than cleaning which I found much easier by taking a few tylernoles (pardon my spelling) prior to cleaning.

PS For the men Dermablend Make up (kills me to say this as I take no pleasure in wearing makeup, well not that I am going to admit anyway, and having to wake up twenty minutes earlier than normal in the morning to apply it!) is perfect for hiding the redness at about two weeks as noone can tell you are wearing it. This can be found at www.dermablend.com