Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mboona

is cleansing important?

How would I know if cleansing would be causing my acne or not cleasning would cause it?

I am asking because it seems like lately I have been using the cerave hydrating cleanser and it appeared to break me out. When I stopped using it, I would get smaller breakouts still. The cleanser does not break me out in my T zone, just on my right cheek for some reason.

In the past I never broke out on my cheeks and just washed with water and rarely used the cleanser.

I also moistorize right away so.... Any ideas? thanks

Cleansing is important, it may just be that your skin reacted badly to that product.

in the case of jojoba oil, if it doesnt break me out on my chin (using it for 1 month now) would it mean that it wouldnt break me out on my cheeks as well?

If i used the same moisturizer and cleanser for a long time in the past, and it didnt break me out- then it must be something else, such as the dryness in the weather that has been contributing- and not necessarily the cleanser or the moisturizer?

Edited by mboona

Guest Timehealsall

i wonder the same thing about jojoba oil. Can something like that break you out in some areas, but not other areas?

i think it's because I stopped using the cerave cream and started using cetaphil on my cheeks that ultimately gave me the problem. I was so happy for years with the cerave lotion on my cheeks that were perfect for the longest time as i battled chin and forehead acne, but now my chin and my forehead are clear but im getting problems in my right cheek!!

i can't believe it's anything else- I will try to stop cleansing my cheeks for a while to see if that was the culprit, but im afraid to go back to cerave cream because i did try to revert back a few days ago and i broke out small white heads towards the end of the day and felt tight and itchy. I also just bought the cerave PM and it worked for like 2 days until it started to feel itchy and tight and made my skin look really rough. I mixed the jojoba oil in last night and that made it even more itchier and I had a big red spot and what appeared to be a papsule but i washed off the lotion and applied the cetaphil and it made my skin feel and look so much better despite the shine. I think I will stick with the cetaphil and pray that it doesn't break me out or else I have to start using tretinoin on one side of my face which i dont want to do. thanks

no, i make sure not to talk on my phone near my face at all. i sleep on my back. i never touch my face. I just dont understand why the cerave was so great for me for over a year and then now when i put it on, it'll feel fine, but hours later my skin will itch and get tight. In the past I would just cleanse my cheek maybe once every two weeks- i would just wash with water and applied the moisturizer morning and night and never had a breakout at all.

I also never exfolliated or anything at all.

this morning after washing, the clear side of my cheek was so tight and itchy even applying cetaphil that I was forced to wash again and apply a nice layer of vaseline petroleum jelly which calmed everything down and made the redness disappear instantly. I used to use vaseline ever since i could remember every night for over 15 years but stopped since it was difficult to sleep during the winter time and switched over to cetaphil cream then to cerave cream which was fine for over a year and I thought I found the miracle product.

Do you think maybe the jar is old that it could be bad? I even bought the new cetaphil PM stuff which is near identical ingredients but that worked for like a day and started to make my skin feel tight again.

So for now I won't cleanse my cheeks but will just wash with water thoroughly to see what happens within the next week. Cleansing has definitely broken me out due to dryness... or perhaps not cleasning enough?? AHHH