Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UKLady

Which cleanser to remove foundation make-up?

Hi

I wonder if anyone can recommend a cleanser (preferably a liquid, wash-off one) that is effective at removing mineral make up?

At the moment I'm using A-Derma liquid cleanser for irritated skin which seems OK but I don't think it completely removes the make up, even if I cleanse twice.

Previously I used cleansing lotions, but after reading up on Dan's method and not touching/rubbing to avoid irritation, I wonder if lotion plus removal with damp cotton is irritating my skin, because you do have to rub it a bit to get the product and make up off.

The cleanser needs to be no SLS/parabens and gentle for sensitive skin

One idea I had was

Jojoba oil to remove the make up, gently sponged off with damp cotton, then use A-Derma gel cleanser

OR

Would I be better off with a sensitive skin cleansing lotion such as Avene or Dr Haushka and just try not to rub it off, but gently sponge with the damp cotton?

OR

Is there a wash off cleanser that you don't have to rub too much that actually takes make up off fully??!

I have moderate acne and oily skin that is also sensitive.

Help??

Oh another thing I was wondering after reading Dan's guide is that could the action of brushing on powdered mineral make up be irritating in itself? As I have to brush for ages to give enough coverage.

Hi there!

I also use mineral power foundation and I'm from the UK. I actually use facial cleansing wipes I get from the 99p Store to remove my make-up each nite including fairly heavy eye make-up.

However, I use Ishtar Skinlights' Ultralase Cleanse, which is paraben free and doesn't contain any chemical nasties and is great for sensitive skin, which I have.

You can get it from their website, which is:

They have great products for acne and senitive skin and they're natural products. I've been using them for about 8 months now and can't recommend them highly enough!

I hope that's been helpful :wub:

Thanks for that.

I'm not sure about using acids on a daily basis though.

I've been looking up reviews etc. and Avene Cleanance Soapless Gel cleanser seems pretty good and a reasonable price, I think I might try it.

OK, thanks. Still can't decide...what does DDF stand for?

I'm thinking now along the lines of a cleansing oil, but I'd worry that could make me break out if I don't double cleanse and wash it off with another cleanser, then I think that might be too much and strip my skin.

Or, Dr Haushka. Nobody mentions Dr Haushka on here? It's expensive, but all natural, no nasty chemicals at all, the only thing that puts me off is the price (£20+ for a bottle of cleansing milk)

OK, thanks. Still can't decide...what does DDF stand for?

I'm thinking now along the lines of a cleansing oil, but I'd worry that could make me break out if I don't double cleanse and wash it off with another cleanser, then I think that might be too much and strip my skin.

Or, Dr Haushka. Nobody mentions Dr Haushka on here? It's expensive, but all natural, no nasty chemicals at all, the only thing that puts me off is the price (£20+ for a bottle of cleansing milk)

I like Dr. Hauschka, I just haven't used his cleansers. Doctor Dermatological Foundation or something like that. It's available at Sephora :)

Ah thanks. Sephora is an American site I think though.

Right had a little browse of cleansing oils and I didn't realise that they're water soluble and rinse off by themselves, clever! But then that also means they must have additional chemicals in them, rather than just being pure oils.

I found this one by Decleor which as far as I can make out in the ingredients list doesn't have any SLS or parabens, but not sure what the other chemicals are (anyone know if they are non acne promoting?)

http://www.dermstore.com/product_huile+dem...r+face_5672.htm

Dr Hauschka is good stuff, I have done the whole regime before, I guess I just stopped mainly because of the expense of all the different products (though I bet it's a lot cheaper in America than over here!) but also they don't do a 'rinse off' cleanser - they have a cleansing milk and a cleansing scrub type thing (though Dr Hauschka says you are not 'allowed' to scrub it, you have to gently roll it onto your skin).

These are fine, but I just find it a bit tiresome having to do all that every night, sometimes you just want to rinse and go!

Oh drat, the Decleor cleansing oil is discontinued (over here in UK anyway there is none to be found on Decleor's site :confused: )

Can anyone recommend another cleansing oil that washes off, is SLS and paraben-free and OK for acne please? Also pref. something not enormously expensive! And pref botanical based, rather than chemical

I looked at the DHC but it has paraben or SLS in it, can't remember which off hand. I'll have a look at the MAC. Any others?

Edited by UKLady