Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Glitters

Had a cyst for a month now and it's still growing

I've had acne for years and occasionaly get the odd cyst that lasts at most, afew weeks. However I got a large cyst one month ago just before I had to go back to school for my final year. The cyst forms a large lump on my cheek and spreads deep into my skin. Under my skin I can feel the bacteris spreads from my nose covers the lower half of my cheek and nearly to my mouth. It can hurt to do things like brush my teeth because of it. Its bright red and really tender. I have no idea what to do about it. Ive been taking anti biotics for a month and they havent worked and I use Retin A for the rest of my acne but i'm not sure if I should use it on the cyst or not. Sometimes it starts to go down and I get my hopes up, but then the next day it just grows to twice the size. It's really affecting my confidence and it seems like ive had it for ages now and i'm really desperate to get rid of it. Anyone else who suffers from cysts, how long do they usually last? and does anyone have any ideas on what I should do about it ??? any help would be great :)

Well there are multiple things that you can do for this. You could go to your derm or regular doctor and ask for a small cortisone shot in the cyst and that will usually lower it a lot. If you dont like having a shot, you could ask for a small supply of prednisone (which is an oral corticosteroid) and that will shrink the cyst within a week usually. By the way it usually takes 2-3 months of the antibiotics to see if they are working. What kind of antibiotics are you using? In my expierence doxcycline and minocycline appear to be the most effective of the oral antibiotics. Also you are right, putting more retin-A on the cyst wont typically help it, it will just make it more red and irritated. So since you have had this cyst for a month, my advice is to go to the derm and see if you can get a cortisone shot. If it is really big and akward shaped, then taking prednisone may be the best option, but taking prednisone for a long term can be harmful. Good luck and keep us all up to date.

My acne occurs in the form of cysts and nodules, too, and when a cyst develops, I go to my dermatologist and he injects a small amount of a corticosteroid directly into the cyst. The whole procedure takes about five minutes and doesn't hurt at all. It is usually resolved in 48-72 hours.

I would give the antibiotic more time, too. I took Solodyn for three months when I first began using Ziana.

My acne occurs in the form of cysts and nodules, too, and when a cyst develops, I go to my dermatologist and he injects a small amount of a corticosteroid directly into the cyst. The whole procedure takes about five minutes and doesn't hurt at all. It is usually resolved in 48-72 hours.

I would give the antibiotic more time, too. I took Solodyn for three months when I first began using Ziana.

after reading this i am worried b/c i have a large spot on the side of my cheek and it just started out as a regular pimple and i popped it and sorry to be gross but stuff shot out and i thought it was fine. it scabbed and 3 days later the scab got all soft and there was a painful witehead underneath so i popped that and not its just a big red mostly flat spot but if you push on it its super painful.... I made an appointment to go to the derm on friday. before he gave me centany to put on a bad one so I am trying that on this untill it goes away.... I was getting excited b/c my skin has finally been clearing up and now this...