Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
buffymanic

UK Members: Scar Treatment on NHS?

Just finished my second course of Roacutane. Asked my derm at the hospital if Laser surgery was availabe on the nhs, he bluntly replied no. sad.gif

Has anyone here had scar treatment on the Nhs.

For some reason when i got acne, which was servere cystic i never got any scars on my face. However i have got loads of scars on both my shoulders and chest. these have totaly wrecked my self confidence (i daresay like most of you)...i feel doomed that i will never be able to take my top off in my life. i.e swimming, sunbathing, changing in front of people. cry.gif

To get the scars on my back treated would prob cost at least £10,000 which is money i do not have, so i would either have to get a loan, save for about 10 years !!, or get help from the nhs.

Largely i blame the nhs for my scars in the first place...they did not send me on roacttane quick enough. was trying antibIotics for a year or so - but thats another story.

So do i have a chance with the NHS?

thats almost the same as me....except I got scars on my face and awkard little ones on my back...i dont remember the derm warning about this at all...i've recently been looking up the same issue: uk nhs laser surgery... I know that Bedford hospital definately have a laser treatments ward...I'm gonna try speak to my gp/doc to get a referal... please tell me if you find out anything useful...

I remember the last time I was at my derm office at whipps cross hospital - london... the derm. there also said no about nhs laser surgery for scars...(what a b****... not, she probably just didnt know, just if a nhs hospital do the treatment...its not rocket science...or maybe it is to them...

I had laser done on nhs in 2001 which is called gp funding.

My derm told me to ask my gp about the gp funding,my gp told me there wasn't one (lying b*****d)so i told my derm who wrote a letter to the gp telling him there was one,my gp then put me forward for the funding which as to go in front of a panel who then decide if u get the funding or not.

I then was referred to a Dr by my derm who then did the laser and this Dr then billed the gp funding who then payed him.

Don't take no shit,ask your gp to put u in for the funding to have any treatment done and don't believe him if he says there isn't one,every Dr's in every town have one.

We cannot get any treatment done because the government is taking everything off us (born and bread uk people and i mean only us english)and giving to the illegall immigrants.

By the way,i have severe acne scars and i only had one treatment of co2 done but it only helped to improve them by about 10%.

GOOD LOOK M8'S

You can go see a solicitor and sue the nhs for not giving u tratment.

I will let u know when i find out what u can sue for because i'm going to sue them as well

A former Moderator/poster on this board received scar treatment on NHS. She saw Dr. Chu. You could do a search on posts with "Dr. Chu" by the poster "Maya" and read the results. That should provide you with some helpful information. smile.gif

whats gp funding...are the nhs paying or the gp funding...commity ... on behalf of local authority...? anyway I booked an appointment with my doc ... they gave me aug 16, a full 2 weeks long wait. hope its worth it.

Tamara - did Maya get her treatments by Dr Chu done on the NHS? I was under the impression she had had to pay for them all herself.

Being a UK resident myself, I had resigned myself to the fact that I would have to pay for all of my scar treatments due to the fact that we cannot get them on the NHS because they are not deemed as a necessity - I have heard of derms telling people to 'learn to live' with their scars. <_<

I might look into this 'gp funding'...

Buffymaniac, your situation sounds very similar to mine - I have severe scarring across my chest and back also, although I do have scarring on my face in addition. Before you look into ways of getting the scar treatments paid for, I would advise you to look into what types of scar treatments you want to get done.

For many years I didn't worry about my scarring too much because I assumed 'laser surgery' would correct it completely. This is, sadly, an erroneous view, and there may be scar treatments out there that can help you a lot more than 'laser surgery'.

For my deep rolling scars on my back and chest, my plan of action is:

- needling at Bio2 clinic in Leamington Spa

- smoothbeam non-ablative laser surgery by Dr Lannegan at Birmingham hospital.

- subcision by Dr Chu at Hammersmith hospital

- possible Isolagen injections, again by Dr Chu.

I think these treatments would also offer you the best chance of success. Subcision in particular has been highly recommended for scarring on the back and chest.

However, since you have only recently completed a course of accutane,

YOU MUST WAIT AT LEAST 6 MONTHS BEFORE GETTING ANY INVASIVE SCAR TREATMENTS DONE - this will allow your skin to recover.

Good luck! Sorry for the novel biggrin.gif

The NHS is a bit of a post code lottery it just depends on where you live.

My sister got a tiny, and I mean tiny, scar removed from her nose on the NHS.

I live in Glasgow if your wondering.

Thanks all for your replies, i have to say finding this board is a lifesaver, its good too know there are people out there with the same problems as you.

Sam - i would love to sue the nhs, but sadly i do not have the time and resources to do so...what annoys me most is that they are quite happy to pay for operations for organ transplants in smokers, pay to help people get of drugs, do all these other things BUT they will not pay for people who are serverly depressed from acne scars to have surgery. i suppose they have to draw the line somewhere but it does really make me mad!

Rossignol..thanks for the info, i will def look up some of the techniques you described in your post and i will wait at least till Jan next year to persue any treatment.

Adul - good luck with your treatments.....let me know if you have any success with GP Funding.

Even if i do ask about gp funding i hold no hope of getting it, my doctors is really rubbish i bet they have not even heard of it. Maybe i am lucky that i never got scars on my face but i stil feel equally down.

We cannot get any treatment done because the government is taking everything off us (born and bread uk people and i mean only us english)and giving to the illegall immigrants.

I'm going to my derm (NHS) at the beginning of September to find out about removing 2 large hypertrophic scars with injections.. i'll let you guys know how it gets on.

Damn right duluxdog. Don't believe a word these right wing newspapers tell you. If we believed them, everything bad in the world would be because of asylum seekers. Bloody fascists.

Yeh. If you believe what the Daily Mail and Express/other middle class cheese right wing papers, then the streets are overflowing with vomit from underage drinkers, our kids are getting AIDS from asylum seekers from Eastern Europe, and our hospitals are overflowing with people because there is no beds.

The Daily Mail jumps on any passing bandwagon they're a joke.

Right after that guy got killed by his friend there headline was:

"BAN THESE EVIL GAMES"

even though the police said there was no link, and they gave that game manhunt about £1m worth of free advertising, resulting in it being even more popular.

The Daily Mail jumps on any passing bandwagon they're a joke.

Right after that guy got killed by his friend there headline was:

"BAN THESE EVIL GAMES"

even though the police said there was no link, and they gave that game manhunt about £1m worth of free advertising, resulting in it being even more popular.

Rossignol, i noticed you saud that you would be getting smoothbeam done by Dr Lannegan at Birminggham hospital, i was just wondering if you knew how much it was going to cost, even just roughly.

abdul,my derm said there is no laser or dermadrasion treatment at the leeds hospital where i go but i could have treatment done if only i got the gp funding.

Every gp as a funding which is called gp funding,ask your dr to put u in for it because u want treatment for your acne scars.

The treatment u r having as to have medical evidence that it will improve your scars or they may not give u the funding.

Dont believe your dr if he says there isn't one,because there is.

Duluxdog,*edited by Moderator due to personal insult*

Whats newpapers,here in yorkshire we don't have time to read them and we never ever buy the daily mail/express.

People like u think ya know it all,so come on then,lets have a laugh,why can't we get any treatment done then.

Don't bother *edited by Moderator due to personal insult*

Duluxdog and wikka way wake up and smell the coffee, *removed by Moderator due to personal insult*.

well folks!

Getting back to the topic at hand...............laser treatment.

I happen to know that there is an NHS derm who is at Middlesbrough General Hospital, who refers people onto the Lasercare clinic for laser treatment, and I am lead to beleive that although Lasercare are a priveat org, affiliated to the NHS, and actually are situated within the hosptal, they have been known to do the treatment 'on' the NHS after referal by a derm consultant.

I think it all depends upon the severity and the impact that they have on your life and well being