Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jbabyee

Have you ever talked about how you feel about your acne to your friends?

I want to talk to my friends about my acne. I haven't hung with them all summer and has been m.i.a. Im 16 years old , hiding in tha house, scared to boys, scared to LIVE. They keep calling me & asking me whats wrong, and that they are here for me. Im scared to tell them:

a)They would NEVER understand ,prolli say im over-reacting

b) They all have completly clear faces,

c) Im embrassed

Have you ever sat down and talked to your friends about your acne.? How did they respond?

I want to talk to my friends about my acne. I haven't hung with them all summer and has been m.i.a. Im 16 years old , hiding in tha house, scared to boys, scared to LIVE. They keep calling me & asking me whats wrong, and that they are here for me. Im scared to tell them:

c) Im embrassed

Have you ever sat down and talked to your friends about your acne.? How did they respond?

I would say just tell your best friend, the one person you can trust above all else.

I will say this. If they have been asking you to go out then go. They obviously dont care about your acne, they want to be there because they enjoy your company.

I dont think they want to listen. I have tried, and complaint about how acne and scars bothers me so much but they just dont care much. They will just say" oh your skin is not that bad, look at mine!" or " oh yeah it becomes more severe recently.. umm okay let go eat now" i mean wtf?! I think sometimes its us who obsess too much how we look that in fact others dont see us that way, so they wont response much or they just dont wanna listen to something that is common for everyone, especially for those who have clear skin, they wont ever understand. As for me, I feel very frustrated whenever i talk to my friends about how bad i feel about my acne/scar/complexion, so i wont ever talk about it again :wall:

My friend asks me out of nowhere..we were at a large table with like 5 people

'Do you feel ugly'

I'm like 'Yeah man all the time' and continue as if nothing bothered me

Then hes like 'Yeah somtimes I do to' and he has like perfect skin and his girlfriend sitting next to him.

Then I seriously considered asking his GF if she felt ugly.. but i resisted.

My friend asks me out of nowhere..we were at a large table with like 5 people

'Do you feel ugly'

I'm like 'Yeah man all the time' and continue as if nothing bothered me

Then hes like 'Yeah somtimes I do to' and he has like perfect skin and his girlfriend sitting next to him.

Then I seriously considered asking his GF if she felt ugly.. but i resisted.

You should have done a dump on his dinner plate :P

why?

if you would get upset over that you need to toughen up and grow a pair...

Edited by David-

I don't think you're giving your friends enough credit. They are worried about you. Yes, they might not be able to relate to acne problems but as they said... they will be there for you if you just confide in them.

When you mentioned how much acne bothered you before, they just didn't know the severity of how you felt. Perhaps it seemed that you were just mentioning it in passing. You really should speak to them about this individually. You don't even have to tell the whole group, but to a few choice friends that you really trust and have shown concern about you.

why?

if you would get upset over that you need to toughen up and grow a pair...

haha.

Dude read anyone of my posts in this section. I don't need to be toughend up and i dont get upset over acne anymore. My pair are big enough lol

I was just kidding! :P

One of my threads.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Learning-...68#entry2921868

Edited by TakeToTheSkies

Eh. In the past I've tried explaining to a couple friends, but most really don't seem to care. They'll tell me to get over it, or listen then shrug it off or go, "Oh, yeah, I'm breaking out too" and point to the one spot on their chin. I just don't talk about it anymore unless it's to a fellow sufferer, because it's too annoying and frustrating when people don't understand or even try.

Edited by KitKate

While it sucks that you feel like you can't really open up to them and get them to understand you need to look at the bright side. You have these boards with people who understand what it's like. Your friends are teenagers they are likely too caught up in worrying about how they look and what they consider to be their problems. This may make them bad at totally understanding you but they obviously care about you and they can understand what it's like to feel down and upset. And the upside of this is that if they are acting like acne is not a big deal to them then it means that they aren't judging you or caring that you have acne - they just like you for you.

Don't let acne keep you from enjoying what is left of the summer. You are only a teenager once and it would be a shame to miss out on this time you have with your friends!

I've never really brough it up to my friends, especially when my skin was really bad. They would sometimes be like UGH why am i breaking out, meanwhile the had like one tiny pimple. Lately there have been a few conversations about acne, and i for the most part have just sat back and listened. It actually really bothers me because they really have no idea what they are talking about it, while i know so much (at least i feel like it) . I am basically completely clear now thanks to the DKR regimen, and i had bad moderate acne. It did make me feel better though the other day when my friend was like oh btw your skin looks really good. Even though i'm clear, i still have to worry about my skin. (it gets flakey, and i can't go in the ocean or pools with my face under because my skin will dry out at flake off)

The last 2 best friends I've had which i'm not friends with any more had things that they were self conscious about and so if I complained about my face they'd be like "At least you don't have such dry skin/horrible teeth/you're a size 8 not 12 etc etc....they always made me feel better I guess. I always trust my best friends. Then when it falls apart I have to start over.

idk how most of my friends would react. i did tell my best friend, that i have been breaking out a lot and it was bothering me. she in return listened, but still invites me to go out to places all the time, so i think its her way of saying, "it doesn't matter to me"? lol. its hard for me to face people when i feww low. because just months ago i didn't have the bad skin i do right now, so i feel like its harder to go out and see people and obsess about if they looking/thinking if i look horrible or not. idk it messes with my self-confidence a lot.

all your friends have clear faces? i wen through that. but eventually one will get acne and you can talk to them about it. atleast you don't have to write a essay about it in highschool lol

I told one friend how much my skin bothers. He immediately told me "but you don't even have acne" I guess it's good that it isnt noticeable but I did have some concealer on at the time. From reading this thead alot of people have gotten similar responses or their friend just shrugged it off. The point is that no one's friend said "oh, you don't like your skin? Now I won't hang out with you." Acne makes us all way too self conscious.

ive told most of my friends at some point or another. cuz most of my friends are self-conscious about one thing or another. so we usually talk about that and i say how i hate my skin. ya one of my friends i tell her everything cuz she had acne in middle school, same with another. and another was really self conscious of her body (had perfect skin) and i was self conscious of my skin (and my body is fine) but we still sorta helped eachother threw it. more like me helping her... but whatever...

if ur friends every talk about insecutries (and if they are girls they WILL) then bring it up. they will be understanding. its not like ur friend goes god im so fat. and u go. YA u are! ur so fat! no. no one does that. so they won't do that for ur skin.

I don't talk to them about it because acne never crosses my mind. I don't really feel awkward about it, it's just something that's there? If someone asks a (usually very stupid) question about it, I explain it to them. "What's that all over your face?" [As if you didn't know.] "Pimples, you dumb bitch." Then they get all offended and then I'm just like, "You asked so I told you."

I guess that's why people say I'm so blunt. ;)

Oh, and If I'm at home watching an acne solution commercial, it doesn't get awkward either. Even with other people because we'll just start laughing at how retarded the commercial is. "[Acne product] has cured my horrible, severe acne!" [before picture has 1 pimple.]

Hey guys, I know im late replying I was so depressed. Thanks for all your advice & responses. I recently talked to one of my friends about how I felt about acne & how it was really making me feel down. She said she completly understands because thats exactly how she feels about her eczema rashes & marks that she has all over her back. Also, of course she told me I was over reacting. I told her that she will never understand because my acne is on my "face" the most noticeable place ever. She has it easy nobody will never see her back,unless she chooses for them to see it. However, I know that can really suck too. With this all said I will NEVER talk to one of my friends about my acne again. It is concluded, that they will NEVER understand. I will just confide in you guys. Thanks so much.!

They'd laugh.

I'm hardly serious. I'm an entertainer. It's just how I am. So we don't talk about "deep" stuff like that. It's just... weird.

Lol, yes thats exactly how I am to. None of my friends think I have any problems!

I dont think they want to listen. I have tried, and complaint about how acne and scars bothers me so much but they just dont care much. They will just say" oh your skin is not that bad, look at mine!" or " oh yeah it becomes more severe recently.. umm okay let go eat now" i mean wtf?! I think sometimes its us who obsess too much how we look that in fact others dont see us that way, so they wont response much or they just dont wanna listen to something that is common for everyone, especially for those who have clear skin, they wont ever understand. As for me, I feel very frustrated whenever i talk to my friends about how bad i feel about my acne/scar/complexion, so i wont ever talk about it again :wall:

Me either, they dnt have to deal with acne so they prolli think "who the hell cares" & I deff agree I think we see ourselves 20 times worst then tha public world.lol

c) Im embrassed

I would say just tell your best friend, the one person you can trust above all else.

I will say this. If they have been asking you to go out then go. They obviously dont care about your acne, they want to be there because they enjoy your company.

I will never talk to my bestfriend about acne cus she always says "im so glad I don't have acne & blah blah blah" I think she will prolli be more understandable if I confide in her more. However, I will never take that chance because I know ,nobody understands me better than YOU guys.

While it sucks that you feel like you can't really open up to them and get them to understand you need to look at the bright side. You have these boards with people who understand what it's like. Your friends are teenagers they are likely too caught up in worrying about how they look and what they consider to be their problems. This may make them bad at totally understanding you but they obviously care about you and they can understand what it's like to feel down and upset. And the upside of this is that if they are acting like acne is not a big deal to them then it means that they aren't judging you or caring that you have acne - they just like you for you.

Don't let acne keep you from enjoying what is left of the summer. You are only a teenager once and it would be a shame to miss out on this time you have with your friends!

Thanks , this was GREAT advice,for now on im going to stay positive. I know my friends care about me a lot, but I never confide in them about acne. They don't see it as a "big deal" . They say "your pretty,it will go away sooner or later"