Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iliketurtless

Starting off at 80mg/day?

I'm a guy who weights about 170lbs (77kg) and started with 80mg per day. This is also my second course, my first being about 6 years ago. I'm about two weeks in right now.

Reading other people's logs and posts, it seems that almost everybody starts with a much smaller dose, before possibly ramping up. Even guys who weigh as much or more than me seem to start much lower.

My questions included:

Do I have anything to worry about by starting so high and is this unusual?

What would be the pros and cons of doing so? There must be a reason everybody else starts lower, so why?

Anybody else start off with >1mg/kg per day right off the bat and if so, how did that go?

I'm guessing I might be more prone to the usual side effects right away, IB included, but will be less likely to experience them later on like others do when they increase their dosage. I think my doctor is planning on keeping me at 80mg/day throughout, but I guess we will see. I guess I might hit my cumulative dosage quicker and possibly have a shorter course length, although he already told me it will probably be 5-6 months.

Hey bud, in my opinion from what I know this is your doctors reason for starting you on 80 mg.

If you've already been on Accutane before, you know your body can handle the drug with no major issues. From what i've seen around, most people starting on a low dose are on their FIRST round of accutane. They start on a low dose to see how their bodies will react to the drug for a month or so.

Everyones different, and some people will respond very nicely to say, a 30mg or 40mg dose.

Many others need higher doses to become completely clear.

Obviously pros and cons are:

Lower dose - less side effects, longer course

Higher dose - likely hood of more side effects - shorter course (most of the time)

Personally, I'm a 160 pound guy and I'm starting next week at 40mg for the first month. If it does nothing for me as far as oilyness ect...I'm gonna bump up to 60 the second month. I'll go from there I guess, and who knows i might end up on 80 for month 3-5. I don't know how my bodies going to react ya know?

Anyways I hope I helped a tad!

Thanks for the reply! Any info/opinion helps.

I didn't even think anything of it until I came onto this messageboard right after I got my prescription. Then I realized I would be taking waaay more than most people do the first month and got a little worried. I don't even really remember how my body reacted my first time through (I guess that means it went well) or what dosage I took and neither does my doctor. New derm, I just told him I had taken it years before and that it worked.

When I thought about it a little bit, my guess was likewise bc I had already been on it, but like I said he has no idea how that went. But, I think I prefer it this way, I def could feel it working after just several days and would rather not deal with more side effects and breakouts each time I increase my dosage like many people do. Not sure if my reasoning makes sense though.

I weight 60 kg. My derm started me off on 60mg/day right away and this is my first course.

The side effects hit me like a ton of bricks and fast, but by the 2nd week all the way until the start of the 2nd month they evened out a lot.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! Any info/opinion helps.

I didn't even think anything of it until I came onto this messageboard right after I got my prescription. Then I realized I would be taking waaay more than most people do the first month and got a little worried. I don't even really remember how my body reacted my first time through (I guess that means it went well) or what dosage I took and neither does my doctor. New derm, I just told him I had taken it years before and that it worked.

When I thought about it a little bit, my guess was likewise bc I had already been on it, but like I said he has no idea how that went. But, I think I prefer it this way, I def could feel it working after just several days and would rather not deal with more side effects and breakouts each time I increase my dosage like many people do. Not sure if my reasoning makes sense though.

you're reasoning deffinatley makes sense...you've already been there done that!

me personally, this is my first and hopefully only accutane journey. i kind of prefer starting off at 40mg the first month to make sure my body doesnt go nuts from it. If I'm fine after that, I'll up my dosage to speed things up. You never know how accutane will work for you. I may respond amazing to 40mg, it may do very little after month one. Either way bro just take it day by day...thats what I try to do.

@Fred

Thanks for the info!

I just checked out your log. You said you weigh 155, which I think is more like 70kg, but meh, close enough. It's good to be able to compare to how you reacted at the start and good to see that you started to even out by the 2nd week.

I had some gnarly stuff coming to the surface about 1 week in, but already look a lot better now, about 2 weeks in. As for other side effects, super dry nostrils, lips, face, and scalp all hit me hard and quickly and I also felt really tired and lethargic about a week in, but feel like I am adjusting nicely now. Hopefully it's not too much for me to handle and I continue to even out. My acne wasn't even that severe btw, just persistent.

@noto

Yea, judging by most of the posts/logs I have read, I think starting off at a lower dosage it what almost everybody else does. There obviously IS a reason for that. Nothing wrong with playing it slow and safe at the start. This is why I was particular surprised that I got put on >1mg/kg from the start. Hopefully it works out for both of us.

Edited by iliketurtless

I will say that while yes I'd love to start higher and get this over with...starting with 40mg the first month and 80mg a month for the 2nd,3rd,and 4th would have me at my cumulative dosage around 4-5 months.

Which means I'd be done!

hopefully all will go well...but theres always a couple bumps in the road.

I have three more days left of my first (and hopefully only) course. I weigh 64kg and my derm started me on 80mg/day, which freaked me out at first, but when she explained that she liked to "hit it hard in the beginning" in hopes of a shorter course and little or no IB, I jumped on board. She said if the side effects became too much to handle, she could easily lower my dosage.

Indeed, I had no IB, and my skin began to improve a couple weeks in and I was mostly clear by the end of the first month and continued to be so for the rest of the course. Like you, my acne was not severe, but moderate and very persistent. My side effects don't seem worse than what I've read on the boards from people who started low and gradually increased. I had dry skin, lips, eyes, and hair from the get go. They were at their worst around weeks 3 and 4 (in terms of itchiness and peeliness), but then mellowed out for the rest of the course. I experienced hair thinning and joint soreness around the second month, which has persisted, but will hopefully subside once the Accutane leaves my system.

In my opinion, getting blasted with the side effects earlier on in exchange for finishing the course one month early was well worth it. After 4 months of Accutane, I'm ready to reclaim my lips, hair, and joints! Plus, my blood work always came out fine. My triglycerides did increase throughout the course, but they never exceeded the normal range, and my liver function values didn't change much.

So good luck! I hope "hitting it hard in the beginning" works as well for you as it did for me :)

I weight 185-190..depends if I eat a big breakfast :)..

I started Accutane yesterday at 80mg (2 40mg plls a day)

I also read about people starting at 30 or 40 mg..so I was curious and actually called the doc to make sure he prescribed it right lol...but he explained to me much like Chopper said.

all this talk about starting at 80mg a day is making me think haha.

im around the same body weight as all of you whom are starting at 80mg a day...and i really want this course to be shorter rather then longer , and that seems to be the whole basis with a higher dose course.

i havent started yet, next week i will be, im gonna bring this up to my doctor and see about starting on 80...and who knows maybe i'll be clearing up within a month like you described!

my acne i wouldnt say is SEVERE either...very moderate persistant acne...with the occasional deep "cyst like" pimple. other then that just tons of red bumps.

same...mine isnt that bad at all...its just i always get red marks for every one...so as soon as one heals....another comes up right there....if more dont come up...no more marks :)

Edited by FubCan

Keep in mind that the prescribing guidelines for accutane lists that the optimum dosage is between .5 mg/kg and 1 mg/kg.

I think some side effects can be avoided if that is followed.

I would avoid starting at 80mg a day. I did that for 9 days back in November 2009, and I began experiencing major hairloss that continues to this day. Give your body time to adjust to the tane. I regret taking this drug so much, it really has F*cked up my life permanently. I am 190lbs by the way

I should add a disclaimer that I am not suggesting everyone should start out at a high dose, I'm just relating my experience. I'm sure my side-effects would have been less severe had I started lower. And I don't want to downplay the side effects either. The lips were, by far, the most annoying, but it seems everyone gets those. The joint soreness, back pain, and muscle stiffness was the most worrisome, since my work requires significant physical activity. It wasn't so bad that I was laid up and couldn't perform my job, but it did mean I had to work through the soreness. I liken it to doing a moderately intense work-out after you haven't worked out for a while, and then having to do that work-out again the next day when you're sore. You can still do it, it just sucks a bit more (ibuprofen helps). And, I too experienced significant hair thinning/shedding, but I had thick hair to begin with, so it didn't bother me too much (the constant shedding has been annoying, though). I do miss my thick hair, so I hope that it will return to its initial thickness over time. I'm female, by the way, and am not sure if there are gender differences relating to Accutane and hair loss.

All that said, I was ok with the severity of my side effects, so opted to stay at that high dose for the remainder of my course. And if my lips, hair, and body goes back to normal once the drug is long gone from my system, it will have been completely worth it. If they don't, well...I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Thanks for all the replies. Chopper, the info you provided was particularly enlightening and exactly what I was looking for.

I should also add, I did not intend to suggest everybody start asking their doctors to start them off at 80mg. I am happy with my dosage, but I'm sure everybody is different. That is the dosage my doctor had already prescribed for me. I came here to see if I could get some info regarding it and wanted to see if there were others out there in a similar situation. Also, keep in mind that I do weigh about 80kg.

As for me, I'm about two weeks in and feel fine. I am happy with my dosage and would prefer it to starting off lower and ramping up. Like Chopper said, you can call in to your doctor and ask to be lowered if it is too much to handle. I could feel the side effects hit me hard right away, but already feel better.

Also, FubCan and Noto, my acne is similar. I have a bunch of red spots right now from healing pimples, but nothing too severe going on otherwise. In the last year or so, I had been going through months of being almost completely clear followed by a breakout out of nowhere. It would finally start to clear up, leaving a bunch of red marks that would start to heal and then the cycle would repeat. I finally decided to call into my derm recently when I got one of these breakouts, but by the time I saw him a week and a half later, there were pretty much just unraised, healing red marks on my face. Still, he started me off at 80mg. Also, keep in mind that I told him I had previously completely a course, over 6 years ago, which worked very well for quite some time.

Edited by iliketurtless

I'm not sure, it was a long time ago.

I am very curious myself, so I called into my old derm office and requested my old records. They have not arrived yet, but I'll let you know when they do. I am taking Amnesteem now, which I am pretty sure I took back back then, because the packaging looks so familiar.

what brand of accutane were you on 6 years ago?

and at what dose?

and how much did you weigh back then?

I just got my old medical records.

It does not say what brand I used, but pretty sure it was Amnesteem, bc that is what I am taking now and the packaging looks so familiar.

I took Accutane for 5 months, from the begging of Feb 2004 to the end of June 2004. I took 40mg/day the first month and 80mg/day the rest of the months.

I probably weighed about 160 back then. (73 kg or so)

Looking at my doctor's notes, it looks like at the end of month 4, he writes that I "may need an optional 6th month". Then at the end of month 5, he writes I am "much better" and Accutane will be discontinued. I do remember being completely clear at then end of my course, but in retrospect I wish I completely that 6th month. I really do not remember if it was my choice or my doctor's.

Ahh now you guys have me worried, I'm a girl and I weigh about 118 lbs (53 kg) and my dermatologist started me off at 80 mg a day. That's just about 1.5 mg/kg. I'm 5 weeks in at the moment and though none of my side effects have been severe or concerning, I have had a lot of them. When I first started I called my office because I didn't notice the dosage they gave me and I was worried it was too much, and they said the same thing, that they like to start off at a high dose and if I have problems, they can lower it. But all of you that started off at 80 mg weigh more than I do. Is this totally unsafe for me to do-- has anyone around my weight had experience with a dose this high? My course will probably last 4-5 months.

For the record my biggest side effect is chapped lips which I have a nasty habit of picking at. I had minor chest pain when straitening out after lying on my side or bending over for the first two weeks. Other than that, I've just had minor fatigue.